Author Topic: Major uberti 1873 screw problem!  (Read 5060 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Major uberti 1873 screw problem!
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
In trying to remove the infamous side lever screws I was able to remove one using an impact screw driver with no problem. But the second screw resisted all efforts and destroyed two Brownells bitts and the screw head is pretty much gone. I take full blame for this. So who is a good Smith to send the rifle too that is experienced in working with the Uberti?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: Major uberti 1873 screw problem!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:02:38 PM »
Bummer. You could try to Dremel a slot and apply some heat. Don't know what you've done already but if you can carefully pop the spring out of the frame without damaging the frame that would take a lot of the tension off it. Then it should come apart. Had a similar experience with my Uberti. Didn't need an impact tool just a good bit and a plastic mallet. I did wreck a screw on the heat shield on my Norinco 97 trench gun, penetrating oil, impact tool and a little luck got it out. Final thought would be to Dremel the spring inside of the frame where the screw is until the spring comes apart, you probably want a set of slixsprings and need new screws anyway. I would cut out some thin wood to tape or clamp on to protect the frame incase the tool slips.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »
Wont help you this time but in the future. I have found besides being very tight and installed dirty those particular screws are being held in a bind by the heavy stock springs.

I have found I can place a piece of leather or something to protect the bottom of the receiver and clamp the spring down slightly with a pair of vice grips straightening the spring slightly while taking the "bind" of of the screw. Usually doing this you can turn those screws out by hand easily.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:03 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »
NO NO NO NO Don't send it away.  You can adapt and overcome.  Simply fall back and regroup!!

You gotz the Side Plates off.  It helps if you have the rifle clamped up in something solid to hold it steady...

Reach across the frame to to the offending Lever Side Spring with a Punch.  Tap lightly (or not so lightly) and pop the spring out to the side of the action.  All the wracking stresses will now be off the screw threads and you should be able to turn them out easy peasy.  If the screw head is truly FUBAR, tap a small Phillips screwdriver into the remains and turn slowly.

I also like cliff Fendley's trique.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Then you order new screws, you do not need hardened screws.  Once Uberti screws have been "neatly" removed, there just fine.
and .......... Slix Springs come with screws!!!  TA DA

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanks to the above posters with their suggestions. The problem lever spring is completely loose now but screw defies all my efforts to get it out. I now believe it may have been cross threaded at factory. Regardless the rifle is useless as it now sits. Thanks again for all the advice.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Try cutting the spring vertically at the threads with a Dremel cut off wheel just make sure that the frame is protected in case the blade comes off the cut. You wouldn't need to cut clean through, the darn screws are soft, just enough to pry and break the spring free. If you don't have a Dremel can you get a hacksaw in there to cut it apart? With the side plates off and the frame protected in a vise use a fine tooth saw and go slow. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
I thought about the dremel but finally drilled it out. Just ordered a set of Whisper springs. I will keep some of these suggestions for future reference in case I get another toggle link model. Looking at the springs that came out I can see why they get replaced so often-- they are real brutes!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
Good deal, what the secretary of the interior told Chief Dan George who later explained to Josey Wales " We must endeavor to persevere." Just don't burn your frock coat and declare war on the union.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com