Author Topic: BestAfter market lifter/lever springs?  (Read 4094 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
BestAfter market lifter/lever springs?
« on: May 03, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
I have looked at the ads from the Smith Shop for after market lifter/lever springs. How good are these?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: BestAfter market lifter/lever springs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
I have used them for years and like them a lot.  They work well and save one heck of a lot of time grinding the stock springs.  The Slix springs are very similar but seem a little stiffer to me.  Both are way better than the truck springs they put in at the factory.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
Thanks Pettifogger-- I will order up a set before I put more rounds thu the rifle. it's my only toggle link rifle and I love it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:20 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Ah HA!!  PLUS ONE to PETTIFOGGER .... almost.

Agree, the Whisper Springs from "The Smith Shop" are very nice indeed.  They work very very well.  SlixSprings are also Very nice indeed.  They work very very well.  They are a little heavier than Whisper.  When running the rifle "on the clock" you won't notice the difference.  Both Whisper and Slix are intended for use in a Toggle Rifle with an action job and Positive Slam Down.  In a stock rifle, with straight wall cases (44, 45, 38) you may find the fouling of the carrier block will cause the carrier to "stick" and stop the rifle.  Positive Slam Down will eliminate this stoppage.  If your rifle is bottleneck, 32-20, 38-40 or 44-40, never mind.  The bottleneck cases run clean enough there is no issue.

May the Fourth be With You

Coffinmaker

PS:  Short Stroke kits have Positive Slam Down built in.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
I added the PSD even on our 44 and 32 rifles. One of mine without it gave me a little trouble a few years ago in real cold weather. Probably a combination of the oil/grease a little stiffer in the cold along with what little bit of black powder fouling made it in there with the 44-40. It wasn't bad but enough I noticed it wasn't cycling like it should so I started adding the PSD feature whenever I had any of mine or my wifes apart.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips on possible PSD problems.  I am devoted to the original Winchester cartridges 25-20 thru 44-40. My (so far) only toggle link is in 38-40 so I hope to avoid the slam down problems.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
You probably wont have any trouble with the 73. The problem I had was a 66 but I just did my 73's too just in case. My wifes new 73 was almost that way from the factory so I don't think I put the screw in the arm on it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
The subject of PSD has apparently come up before, but I hope someone can describe it to me and tell me how to go about altering my 1860 Henry.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
The subject of PSD has apparently come up before, but I hope someone can describe it to me and tell me how to go about altering my 1860 Henry.

On a gun with stock links it is just a screw in the lifter arm to remove slack and for the lever to push against when the lever is raised to chamber a new round.  In a stock gun the lever puses the carrier arm down and the carrier spring finishes the job.  The theory is that with light after market springs or an extremely dirtry carrier the carrier spring might not have enough pressure to push the lifter arm all the way to its bottom position and the gun can jam.  Original Winchesters did not have PSD as it had heavy springs and the bottleneck cartridges it was chambered for sealed blow back really well.  On the modern guns if they are chambered in .44-40 (or .32-20, .38-40) they still work pretty much OK without PSD.  With the straight wall cases most CAS shooters shoot (e.g., .38 Special, .45 Colt) the carriers can get pretty dirty depending on the load.  The short stroke kits all have PSD built in which is basically some thicker metal on the carrier arm.  The guy in this video is installing PSD on his 66.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Additional --- With "Positive Slam Down" the Lever itself powers the Carrier Block Arm down.  The spring serves to hold the Carrier Block up while the Breach Block strips the round.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com