Author Topic: Brought the Chuckwagon out of hibernation today!  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brought the Chuckwagon out of hibernation today!
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Pulled the ole chuckwagon out of its winter hibernation in the barn today!  Knocked off the dust and started restocking with staples.  Sharps rifle, various ammo, whiskey, tobacco, bible and odds and ends. 

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Brought the Chuckwagon out of hibernation today!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:42 PM »
That is COOL!  Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
Now that's a thing of beauty. So what's your favorite meal to serve out of the wagon?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:55:40 PM »

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
I'm guessing either a sermon or lead!!! :o

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
That is some kinda .... NICE

when planets align...do the deal !

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words!   One of our favorite meals is thick steaks cooked over hot mesquite wood fires.  Biscuits, peach cobbler and beans all cooked in dutch ovens.   Strong coffee with a dash of brown water added.   Afterwards, enjoy the campfire with friends, tequila and a nice cigar!

"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
boy do i miss being around a chuck wagons! when we lived in New Mexico they where all around. i built 10 or so competition grade boxes for the big outfits that actually use them.  we moved to Montana 12 yrs ago and have yet to see a functioning wagon or a cooking competition anywhere, hard to believe!
best kw

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
OK, that got my mouth watering!  Be sure to ring the dinner gong loud so I can hear it and I'll be there.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
Amazing! Great job!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
boy do i miss being around a chuck wagons! when we lived in New Mexico they where all around. i built 10 or so competition grade boxes for the big outfits that actually use them.  we moved to Montana 12 yrs ago and have yet to see a functioning wagon or a cooking competition anywhere, hard to believe!
best kw

I know of an outstanding wagon and crew in Roundup, Montana.  The owners are Dan and Carol McCaffree.  We cook at Cowboys for Heroes and Wagons for Warriors events.   I've seen the Roundup, Montana wagon at the Cowboys for Heroes event at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.   They might be able to help you find Montana Chuckwagon events.     

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
txchuckcook

boy howdy.......we left the Helena area 1 yr ago,  just built the retirement ranch east of Roundup! i have met some of the Mcaffree's and did not know about the chuck wagon. i believe they once owned the land we have now.  i used to work the cowboy symposium in Ruidoso New Mexico, with the chuck wagon cooking competition, man that was some fine eating there! yes, your wagon is some real eye candy, you should be proud of that one. what makers name is on the seat?
thanks for the info.
kw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »
txchuckcook

boy howdy.......we left the Helena area 1 yr ago,  just built the retirement ranch east of Roundup! i have met some of the Mcaffree's and did not know about the chuck wagon. i believe they once owned the land we have now.  i used to work the cowboy symposium in Ruidoso New Mexico, with the chuck wagon cooking competition, man that was some fine eating there! yes, your wagon is some real eye candy, you should be proud of that one. what makers name is on the seat?
thanks for the info.
kw

Thanks for the kind words.  The wagon is a Peter Schuttler.  It truly is a small world with the McCaffree just around the corner from you.  They are on facebook under the name Carol N Dan McCaffree.  You should contact them, I bet they could talk you into reconnecting with your chuckwagon roots.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 01:17:56 AM »
I know of an outstanding wagon and crew in Roundup, Montana.  The owners are Dan and Carol McCaffree.  We cook at Cowboys for Heroes and Wagons for Warriors events.   I've seen the Roundup, Montana wagon at the Cowboys for Heroes event at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.   They might be able to help you find Montana Chuckwagon events.     

They are good folks, know them well from a cast iron cooking group I run on Facebook, would love to meet them in person someday.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com