Author Topic: First cartridge sticking when lifter tring to coming up  (Read 2544 times)

Offline mrappe

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First cartridge sticking when lifter tring to coming up
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »
I just got a 1873 Special Sporting Rifle .38-40 20” Octagonal from Taylor's and when I try to cock the first round ( the last one to be loaded ) it almost always is sitting at a diagonal and does not want to straighten out as the lifter comes up. It instead jams and I have to push it back down and then it straightens out. I am thinking that it may be due to the stiffness of the spring. This never happens on my original Winchester 73. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks Mike
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: First cartridge sticking when lifter tring to coming up
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
I answered this over on that "other" wire, but ........ It is a common problem.  It shouldn't be, but is.  There is suppose to be a nice tasty bevel on the back wall of the Carrier Block mortice.  Sometimes it's there.  Sometimes it's too shallow.  Sometimes it isn't.  It will need to be added.

There is a nice tutorial on the procedure on Pioneer Gunworks web site.  Give it a look.  You'll need a nice sharp (new) small file.  the bevel serves to prevent the cartridge rim from becoming trapped and it moves the cartridge back into the carrier block.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Here's a link to the tutorial Coffinmaker mentioned: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/568c9cb70e4c114023d8d3fb/t/5699eb101f4039527f8bbfcb/1452927772189/Model_66___73_Frame_Mod.pdf.

Do a keyword search on this site for words like "carrier", "bevel", etc.  There are a number of threads covering the issue, some with photos or sketches.  Abeline took a photo or two that really help.  The modification/repair isn't at all difficult once you know where to do a little filing...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:05:33 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Besides that bevel the magazine spring does have an effect.  With the end cap removed, if more than 2" of recoil spring sticks out, you can trim it to 2".

edit: I meant magazine spring, not recoil spring  ;)

Offline mrappe

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:56 PM »
I have been filing a bevel on it and will have test it to see if it is the right angle etc. I took both it it and my original 73 (1886 mfg)  and compared that bevel between the two and noticed that the bevel on the original was very slight as was the (factory one) Uberti but that piece of steel where the bevel is is thinner on the original than on the Uberti. I never had a problem with the Winchester like this.
Mike
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
Don't try and over think it.  Comparing dimensions to an "original" '73 is a waste of time.  Just add the bevel and be done.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com