Author Topic: The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch - Cowboy Airsoft  (Read 18255 times)

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch - Cowboy Airsoft
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:17:41 PM »

What: Cowboy Airsoft
When: July 1st - July 4th 2017
Where: The Rocking M Ranch - Rice, Wa
Who: Spokane Devil Dogs
Airsoft website link:
http://www.spokanedevildogs.com

Main Factions:
Monumental Mining Company

The largest gold mine in the territory. Sends its shipments of gold to the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank. The company also employs the Pinkerton Agency as muscle to protect its gold shipments and keep an eye on its miners.

Rockin M Ranch

Largest spread in the territory. The Rockin M sells beef to Grizzly Gulch and the Monumental mine. And keeps on payroll a large contingent of professional cow punchers that ride the range and protect the herds.

Copper Butte Gang

Highwaymen, Rustlers, stone cold killers and bushwhackers. This gang targets every lucrative industry in the territory. And they will kill anyone who attempts to stand in their way. No one knows the where bouts of their hideout, nor who the members are. It's rumored that some prominent citizens of Grizzly Gulch may be involved....

Grizzly Gulch Gentleman's League

Mostly made up of Grizzly Gulch business owners. Whose business is mainly selling goods and services to the Monumental Mining Company. Including liquor, gambling and prostitution. They also have the town Mayor and Sheriff in their pocket.

More info to follow

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch - Cowboy Airsoft
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

This is what I've come up with thus far. Feedback is appreciated.
----------------------------------
"The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch" Rule Set

All Airsoft guns must be,
1. Lever action rifle
2. Single action six gun
3. Double barrel shotgun
4. Break top six gun

FPS limits are as follows:
400-600 FPS - 75 ft engagement distance limit
0-400 FPS - point blank - no limit
Safety glasses are required to be worn at all times.

Do not intentionally target your opponents head or face!

Horses/Mules are allowed in game play. Please do not target horses! Fly netting or some other form of eye protection is required for horses.

Old West Dress:

With the popularity of the Single Action Shooting Society it's easy to build an impression. Numerous online stores cater to this time period. Movies like Tombstone are actually very accurate with their wardrobe selections. Watch it to get some ideas.

Some DIY guidelines to remember.
1. Blue jeans were only invented by Levi Strauss in 1873. Trousers came in a multitude of colors and patterns. Cowboys typically shunned blue jeans as common laborer clothing. Cowboys typically wore saddle trousers in black or brown with no butt pockets.
2. Men's trousers of the day had no belt loops, they wore rivet style suspenders.
3. Men wore felt hats of all shapes and styles.
4. Women wore dresses.
5. Gun belts were not of the Hollywood Buscadero style that came later. Most were the Mexican loop style holster.
6. The zipper was not invented until 1893.
7. Leather boots were usually worn outside of trousers, so that your trouser legs did not get muddy. Paved streets in the west did not exist.
8. SASS has something called "spirit of the game" in which it's participants are asked to do their best to dress the part and not try to cheat the rules. We also will strive to carry on this tradition.

Gameplay:

Grizzly Gulch is an open continuous world. You may either choose to join a faction or remain an individual. You may also form alliances with factions if you so choose. You must also choose an alias for your character. I.E. Deadeye Dick, Big Sam, Calamity Jane, etc. The open world never sleeps, be prepared to wear your safety glasses to bed, you could be defending yourself at anytime. Your also free to remove yourself from the game play at any time and take a break out of bounds.

Leave your modern accoutrements at the parking area! Cell phones, flash lights, tennis shoes, etc. Items that must be in game will be hidden with wood, leather, paint, etc. We will strive to make all items in game play pre 1900 esque.

If you are hit with a non ricochet Airsoft BB, you have two options. You may either send for a doctor or have a buddy or concerned citizen bring you to the doctors office in Grizzly Gulch. This service is not for free. Doctors just like any proprietor charges money for his or her services. Prices will be agreed upon before services are rendered. If you are alone and hit you must wait 5 minutes before proceeding to the Doc at Grizzly Gulch.

When you are struck by a BB you will die in a loud grotesque manner (falling on your back, not prone!) keeping in the spirit of the game. Shouting matches of "I shot you....no you most certainly did not you blasted #%* varmint", ruins the experience of fellow participants and will not be tolerated. If someone is not calling their hits, tell a administrator, and we will give the person a talking to. Airsoft is a game of honor, it's not paintball, nothing marks your clothing, be honest.

If you are shot and wounded five individual times and patched up by the Doc four times YOUR ALIAS IS DEAD. And will be delivered to the ever after upon entrance to Boot Hill. Your in game cash holdings will be confiscated by the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank upon your death. The person will then be forced to pick a new alias and start over in the game.

Your alias if arrested and convicted of murder, attempted murder, theft over 200 dollars, horse rustling, cattle rustling, claim jumping or any crime deemed worthy of a hanging by the territorial judge.... your alias shall be hung by the neck until dead. And will be buried upon Boot Hill.

Each alias is given 50 territorial dollars at the start of its life. Money can be made after that by working for a faction. Gambling. Theft. Mining. Gifting. Assassination. Rewards. Selling wares or services. Rustling. Extortion or Bribes. If you run out of territorial dollars you can purchase more at the territorial bank in exchange for USD.

Main Factions:

The largest gold mine in the territory. Sends its shipments of gold to the Grizzly Gulch territorial bank. The company also employs the Pinkerton Agency as muscle to protect its gold shipments and keep an eye on its miners.

Rockin M Ranch

Largest spread in the territory. The Rockin M sells beef to Grizzly Gulch and the Monumental mine. And keeps on payroll a large contingent of professional cow punchers that ride the range and protect the herds.

Copper Butte Gang

Highwaymen, Rustlers, stone cold killers and bushwhackers. This gang targets every lucrative industry in the territory. And they will kill anyone who attempts to stand in their way. No one knows the where bouts of their hideout, nor who the members are. It's rumored that some prominent citizens of Grizzly Gulch may be involved....

Grizzly Gulch Gentleman's League

Mostly made up of Grizzly Gulch business owners. Whose business is mainly selling goods and services to the Monumental Mining Company. Including liquor, gambling and prostitution. They also have the town Mayor and Sheriff in their pocket.

Grizzly Gulch buildings

Block house
Saloon
Jail house
Bank
Court house
Mercantile

Rockin M ranch

Barn
Corrals

Mine shack
Mine
Ore cart
---------------------------------------------
More ideas.

Grizzly Gulch buildings will be easily constructed wood facades and floors with a wall tent set up behind it. As Cowboy Airsoft grows we can construct more permanent structures.

Gold and Silver painted rocks will be hidden around the ranch to be "mined". And can be sold for cash at the territorial bank. Mining claims can also be purchased at the territorial courthouse if you think you have found a "Rich" area. All gold and silver that has yet to be picked up within a Mining claim is the sole property of the Mining claim owner. Anyone caught by the claim owner jumping his claim can be shot, or turned into the proper authorities.

Rustling cattle....I have not figured this one out yet. Obviously even though I have real cattle on the ranch, and some of you may legitimately rope, I think it's too dangerous of a undertaking. Maybe we could use Roping dummy steer heads as currency, with herds being represented by steer heads attached to straw bales. Rustlers could simply ride or walk up and steal the roping heads, or get shot by cow punchers in the process. Need help on this one.

Outlaw activity needs some protection. What? Hear me out. Airsoft is a game of conflict, conflict is what makes it exciting. But we are dealing with limited people numbers. I'm thinking about making a rule that if during a crime an outlaw has his face covered, the sheriff cannot take a description from the victim or bystanders. Which is kinda Hollywood esque really. Ideas?

Your cash. If your alias dies in the game the cash on your body is confiscated. It may behoove a person if the alias has been shot a few times to either hide the cash or gift it to a buddy. Payroll, I think should be paid at 6 pm each day, the end of a "work" day. Cowpunchers, miners, Pinkerton agents can all hit town for a night of festivities? Outlaws and their cut of the loot are on their own to collect.

Rustling cattle- Each steer will be a head mounted to a saw horse, with a "steer certificate" attached to it. You must rope the steer with a rope and then take the certificate. Certificates can be traded for cash at the territorial bank.

Rustlers and cowboys must have ropes on their person. It's a tool of the trade. You cannot work for the Rockin M ranch or rustle its cattle without a rope.

Miners must have a pickaxe in their possession to mine gold and silver and to stake mining claims.

Thats all for now but there will be more.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:31:07 PM »
Sounds like it would be a blast! If only I was in your neck of the woods. But... I'm thinking that including animals could have bad results. Don't want anyone getting hurt when a stray shot causes the critter to buck and kick. Just my .02 cents.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:47 PM »

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
It's always a risk for sure.

But I've packed mules in the rocky mtns while dealing with paper wasps and the bald headed hornet bastards that burrow :)

It won't be that bad.....

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
This looks like fun, too bad I am on the opposite side of the country.  Don't forget to get video and post it for us to see.

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
I think in order to get this off the ground we are going to need some sort of trailer.

Airsofters are reluctant to build a cowboy impression and buy cowboy Airsoft guns. And cowboy action shooters are reluctant to buy airsoft guns.

But I'm committed to doing this no matter how many show up.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
If it weren't for the matter of lodging... and a ticket... and an airsoft set up, I'd be there :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »

Um .... Being .. Um .. Committed isn't necessarily  a good thing ??

Coffinmaker  ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
At the NC state match years ago a couple of shooters decided on doing The Lone Ranger and Tonto as their match personas and to complete the image were going to arrive on horseback. The match directors nixed the horse idea as too dangerous but it would have been pretty cool. In today's world it's all about liability.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
This sounds like a ton of fun. I wish I was in the area to participate!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch - Cowboy Airsof
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way. The cardinal rule of any real shooting sport is you don't point your firearm at something you don't want to destroy. As CAS shooters we have this drilled into us from the first shoot we attend, don't break your 170. I just can't wrap my head around shooting folks with airsoft, paint ball or lazer tag. Though pb and lazer tag would be the least unsafe as the guns are so non gun. Airsoft guns are just too realistic. But they all create a dangerous mindset IMHO. With a little bit of carelessness I could see a tragedy happening. They've already occurred when police get a 'man with a gun' call and the gun turns out to be a toy. But, good luck on your match and maybe I'm all wet and this will catch on. First person shooter video games certainly are popular. I've created numerous monthly CAS shoots, built lots of props and even tried to get a military category started in SASS but you are trying to create an entire Airsof shooting discipline. Stay safe.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
Ed,I see where you're coming from. Guns have the potential to take a life in an instant, so special rules are created to deal with them: treat every gun as if it's loaded, never point it at anything you don't want to kill, etc. But while the airsoft guns are called guns, and look like guns, they do not generally have the capacity to take a life with a moment of carelessness. Thus, the same rules don't need to apply.

A shortage of common sense is why we have to have so many rules in the first place. I know it's one of the things that so many people on this board are vehemently opposed to (a "nanny state"), as most people feel like they understand how things work and don't need the rules. I guess I come down the middle on it: if breaking a rule can have devastating consequences, then we probably need the rule, "common sense" or not. Seems like this is a situation where the normal rules aren't needed.

One suggestion, though: on the days when you're having events, let the Sheriff or Police know when and where, so they don't get calls from concerned citizens and come out with guns blazing. At my old martial arts dojo they would do black belt training in the woods at night. Other brown and black belts armed with real knives and batons, and fake guns, would spend a couple hours attacking the candidate. If they defended themselves, they got their black belt. People frequently ended up with black eyes, bloody noses, and rarely sprains or broken bones. The police were always warned ahead of time, because invariably some hiker would see what appeared to be a team of ninjas attempting an assassination and lose their minds. ;)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »
Since you asked for feedback....so here you are...

You are new here and may not realize , quite frankly you are fishing in the wrong pond
AIRSOFT Games I suppose might be OK I guess,  for the youth fandom & and fast healing ....  ::)

but for older, slow healing CAS shooters not so much,  by in large most here are north of 55 years.

you are shopping to flesh out your vision in the wrong age group.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
Onthe one hand, I say "good luck to you".

On the other hand, I am with Major2 and esp Baltimore Ed: there have already been problems with "live gun re-enactors"
when some psycho deliberately slipped in live ammo . Fortunately those have been few and far between, but it happens.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
A psycho could just as easily go nuts at a match and unload his firearm into the bystanders. Why worry about such things? Seems like looking for a reason for it to fail.

I think it's awesome, and I think if you play it right you should be able to find enough people to make it worthwhile.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
Why worry about such things? Seems like looking for a reason for it to fail.

Be happy that there are people like myself who make it our business to worry.

As a retired engineer, it has been my job for over 40 years to solve problems and look for and minimize failure points and disaster scenarios.

When your job is to make airplanes fly, a HUGE part of the job is to make absolutely certain that the airplanes do not fall out of the sky.

This includes more phases than I guess you can imagine, and also includes failure prediciton and disaster planning.

I do not claim we should wrap everybody up in foam and bike helmets and  I do not go as far as some of the SASS rules.

But thinking thru the possibilities, assigning a risk factor, deciding which ones to address,  and planning for them goes along way towards keeping things happy and making sure people don't end up with holes in them.

Both LEO's and Military have these sorts of airsoft rigs for training in funhouses. But they are VERY strictly controlled and monitored.
And AD's still happen there because people are human, and people screw up.

I also used to do fencing, stick fighting, and 'broadsword fighting' stuff, and martial arts,  and every year there is an accident. Every  couple of years a foil breaks  and someone gets run thru. Everybody expects FENCING to be as safe as houses.
Planning can help mitigate such things, and proper planning, equipment safety checks, double checks, and etc actually do prevent many.

My list of "I told ya so, saw it right off"  is longer than I will bother the audience with.

This reminds me of an old conversation with a "Marketeer" who claimed we should only bother with bad stuff after it happens cuz such planning efforts cost too much.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
I understand the engineer mentality to some degree--I'm a certified Apple consultant, and have spent the past eight years supporting businesses and users, everything from training and troubleshooting to network deployment. Certainly it pays to try and think about ways things can go wrong, but I don't see what the huge concern is here. Airsoft isn't a new sport; it's actually been around longer than CAS (worldwide). Yes, it attracts a much younger demographic than CAS, but the assumption that young people are all idiots who can't keep from constantly maiming themselves is at least somewhat overblown. ;)

Fencing is generally considered a safe sport, but you've seen people get injured. Should they shut down the fencing school? Surely as an engineer you would have a difficult time arguing that the risks of airsoft outweigh the risks of CAS, which uses real firearms. Either way, if he's going to organize an event he'll have to have insurance and/or liability waivers, same as any other event of this type.

I guess I'm just surprised that people who participate in a sport that asks you to draw a gun out of a holster and shoot it as fast as possible would be getting wound up because some people want to shoot plastic BB's at each other.

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch - Cowboy Airsof
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way. The cardinal rule of any real shooting sport is you don't point your firearm at something you don't want to destroy. As CAS shooters we have this drilled into us from the first shoot we attend, don't break your 170. I just can't wrap my head around shooting folks with airsoft, paint ball or lazer tag. Though pb and lazer tag would be the least unsafe as the guns are so non gun. Airsoft guns are just too realistic. But they all create a dangerous mindset IMHO. With a little bit of carelessness I could see a tragedy happening. They've already occurred when police get a 'man with a gun' call and the gun turns out to be a toy. But, good luck on your match and maybe I'm all wet and this will catch on. First person shooter video games certainly are popular. I've created numerous monthly CAS shoots, built lots of props and even tried to get a military category started in SASS but you are trying to create an entire Airsof shooting discipline. Stay safe.

Airsoft is huge. And global. I'm not creating anything. It's been here as long if not longer than CAS. Created by Asians who could not own real firearms. Cowboy Airsoft guns are just a small small segment of the Airsoft guns out there.

Airsoft operations are conducted generally on private property. People understand they are playing Airsoft. If you freak out and go to the parking lot to pull out your real gun? The SWAT team will be enroute.

I'm a hunter and a cowboy action shooter and I agree about the not pointing real guns at people. But Airsoft is different and is used by our military and police for training.

And it's just plain fun. And safe.

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
Onthe one hand, I say "good luck to you".

On the other hand, I am with Major2 and esp Baltimore Ed: there have already been problems with "live gun re-enactors"
when some psycho deliberately slipped in live ammo . Fortunately those have been few and far between, but it happens.

yhs
prof marvel

Airsoft cannot fire real ammo.

Offline Wapaloosie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
Since you asked for feedback....so here you are...

You are new here and may not realize , quite frankly you are fishing in the wrong pond
AIRSOFT Games I suppose might be OK I guess,  for the youth fandom & and fast healing ....  ::)

but for older, slow healing CAS shooters not so much,  by in large most here are north of 55 years.

you are shopping to flesh out your vision in the wrong age group.

No way.

I'm pushing 50 and there are men much older than me that play it. The rule is us old codgers buy a jeep, or a deuce and a half  and mount a MG on top and drive around shooting people!

In fact in the 90's when I discovered the sport it was strictly an ADULT game. No one under 18 allowed end of discussion. Kids played paintball. And rich adults did reenacting.....

The great thing about a open world cowboy Airsoft game is.....you can sit in the saloon all day if you want. No military style missions or patrols. It's a civilian game......what or how much you participate is up to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com