Author Topic: May just be time for coffee.  (Read 52533 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
Re: May just be time for coffee.
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »

They then spend the next two hours standing around, smoking cigarettes and dropping butts in my driveway, while I continue running jugs of water back and forth. A bunch of fat rednecks in shorts and ball caps just watching. One of them even had his wife or girlfriend there! Forestry shows up, runs a trencher around the fire, and then they all leave. I finally stopped running water to it around 2am, but was up the rest of the night keeping an eye on the flames. It finally died out when it rained a week later.

My Good Captain -
Might I suggest a new project?
The largest tin stock tank you can find/afford and a portable electric pump & 1.5" hose ....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
My Good Captain -
The largest tin stock tank you can find/afford and a portable electric pump & 1.5" hose ....

yhs
prof marvel

Prof' sir- i love how you spin them words from the Kings english, real pretty like. It is always a pleasure to read your post, and the use of obvious common sense.

You all have a safe weekend
Mathew 5.9

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
My go to rifle is a 1928 Winchester 30-30.  ::)  But, it's old and tired, and since I've got a decent chance of pulling a plains pronghorn tag, I'm wanting some extra reach.  As to ammo, '06 is $15-$40 a box, depending on manufacturer.  280 is $18 - $45, and the local Sportsman's Warehouse carries it.  Really, I'm deciding between bolt and lever. ::)  And lever is almost winning.

--TK
My old 30-30 is old, ugly, and tired... just like me. It's a match! And, I was able to put 3 rds in a cigarette pack at 100 yds with just the old iron sights. Of course, my eyes are having a hard time lining up the front, back, and target these days  :'(

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 06:07:40 PM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
My Good Captain -

yhs
prof marvel
Sounds good, if the fire is near the stock tank. Otherwise, I'm back to humping water jugs to the fire  ::)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
Russ, they're in the La Crosse area.
That's 2 hours west of where I am.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »
Top O' the Mornin, y'all! The coffee is fresh and... HOT, the sky is clear, and I'm sure it's going to be... HOT outside. It's a good day for a nice Sunday drive to see the folks in Athens. Yeah, so it's not technically Sunday... I'm an Outlaw and a Rebel, and I don't follow convention ;)

Got a new laptop yesterday, and spent the rest of my day fighting with trying to load websites and software. Can't find my Photoshop disk, couldn't remember forum passwords... but, overall, I won 50% of the battles. So it's a WIN! I even uploaded a (poor quality flip phone) pic of the holster I just finished. It's over at the Leather Show off section.

Y'all have a great day, drive safe, and watch out for fools on the road for the Holiday :)
Homestead1 out!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

'Tis 74 and sunny. "Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the middle 70s. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
Started out hot and humid this morning, then RAIN. And tornado warnings all around. Little bit of hail now and then.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
Evening all.  I got the fire banked, the coffee on, and sourdough biscuits on the rise overnight.  ::)

All is sunny in California.  Today was 95, with 45% humidity and not a cloud in the sky.  Pretty interesting day, though.  I almost had a bout of fisticuffs.  :o

I took the dog for a nice long car ride, to the tune of 100 miles.  Rolled the odometer to 187000 on the way back.  That's 3,000 miles I've put on the truck, but that's neither here no there.  ::)

Anyway, we were at a pond up north a ways that the state just stocked last week with rainbow trout, hoping I could make a video.  There were a number of people there, but there was enough room for me to have an entire shore to myself, so I tossed out a line and set my pole down in a Y-stick, then went off with the dog to catch some bullfrogs a ways off.  While we were out frogging (no luck, by the way), a total hipster/yuppie pulled in.  Del's favorite type of guy: skinny jeans, iphone, starbucks, driving a hybrid crossover. The works.

He could have fished anywhere along the quarter mile of free bank, but he decided the absolute best place was exactly where my pole was.  While I was at my truck to get a sip of water, he sets up with a spinner and casts directly across my line.  I was using a sinker and sinking line, so it wasn't really a problem.  I told him politely that my line was there, but that it should be fine if he was careful to keep up in the top couple feet of water.  He told me that he was going to fish where he wanted, and that I could go stuff it basically (that's the "grandma friendly" version).  Instead of running over and slapping him like I really wanted to, I told him to watch his mouth since there were some young children within earshot, that I had been there first and  if he was trying to intimidate me into leaving he would have to do a lot better than run his tongue. 

He set down his pole and started stomping over, rolling up his sleeves.  I told my dog to get up in the truck (it surprised me when she listened so quickly.  Pleasant surprise, though), hung my Stetson on the antenna and came to meet him, pulling a Cliint Eastwood and kicking up the dust every time I stepped.  The Peacock effect my uncle calls it: making yourself look a lot more bada$$ than you actually are.  I.e. a bluff.
Here's where I mention that I was actually pretty nervous.  I'm only 5'6", and this fellow was around six feet. Definitely at a size disadvantage.  But how seriously can you take someone who's wearing skinny jeans, flip-flops and drinking Starbucks? 
We got close and he stood there glaring down at me for a few seconds.  Then he got back in a sort of karate stance and started moving his hands like Bruce Lee.  Then he just says "F-you" and drives away.   ???

So there's my John Wayne moment of the month for you. 

I also caught a racer snake, and ate cookies.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2017, 05:24:14 AM »
Shit, now he has to go find his coloring book and a kitten to pet.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2017, 07:07:11 AM »
"....he got back in a sort of karate stance and started moving his hands like Bruce Lee"

These guys , amaze me.... 99% of them got their advanced training from the last Martial Arts Movie they saw.  ::)
the other one percent took a class when they were 11 and then probably used the jump suit as pajamas till they were 18 .
BUT don't assume this be the case, stay calm and rational . If He has true combative training, you could find yourself in a bad position very quickly

REEL Martial Arts  VS You....they are IDIOTS or crazy trying to intimidate you,  keep some distance, remain calm , avoid heated language., remain non-threatening. look for the nearest "HIT WITH" if it comes to that...   ....
Better still back away, may hurt your pride a bit , your pride will recover and you’ll experience no lasting effects both medically and legally from choosing not to fight.

REAL Martial Arts  VS YOU... these guys don't peacock , they ARE confident , and never need to strut.
A person that knows Martial Arts also knows discipline ...

and when one of these REAL, mixes it up with one of the REEL ..."Turn out the lights the party's over" 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »

I agree with Major 2 but..........................

If that don't work.... Glock them, or run!

Morning all hope all are having safe holiday weekend
Mathew 5.9

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

Dads' 80th b'day party is at 1 PM.

'Tis 60 and partly sunny. Sprinkles earlier. "Mostly cloudy. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning  then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent."

Slim

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2017, 09:15:16 AM »
look for the nearest "HIT WITH"

I'm of a different school than you Major, I like to find things I can hit with them... Beat a tree with them, pick them up and try to break the ground with them, bang the snot out of their car with them... then put a stomping on them until they quit squirming and squealing. Always better than risking a broken hand throwing punches. I'm not bad, just mean :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
"...If that don't work.... Glock them, or run! "

that is one of many, by definition ...a  HIT WITH   ... if it comes to that...  ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »
"...If that don't work.... Glock them, or run! "

that is one of many, by definition ...a  HIT WITH   ... if it comes to that...  ;)

You know what you call an empty Glock? A paperweight.
You know what you call an empty Hogleg? A club!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »
You know what you call an empty Glock? A paperweight.
You know what you call an empty Hogleg? A club!
BUT... by the time most Glocks get empty, if you still need a club....better work on your marksmanship.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
BUT... by the time most Glocks get empty, if you still need a club....better work on your marksmanship.

An empty Glock.... ha? who ever seen one of those.  I can sling bullets till i get to a shotgun or a pew pew pew
Mathew 5.9

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2017, 02:47:01 AM »
0 Dark Hundred Hours, Somewhere in the Woods-

Good Morning all! The coffee is... HOT. and just brewed. Now, you might be asking, "What the Hell are you doing up at this hour?"

Me too, and I blame the wife. She and her fellow DevilNurses are having some sort of party at the Hospital tonight, and they are all bringing in food. My sweety volunteered to bring in pulled pork, which in turn, volunteered me to smoke her butt... as it were. Coals are hot, my special rub with all the secret herbs and spices is rubbed in, and her butt is on the fire for the next 12 hours.

At times like this, I remember the many quiet hours that I spent in peace, back when I was a poor lonely bachelor.., and I wonder just where that all went horribly awry...

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

Had a good time at Dad's b'day party. Saw some relatives I haven't seen in 40 years.
Going to an area lake to spend some time with relatives.

'Tis 58 and overcast. "Breezy. Cooler. Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers in the morning  then scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the middle 60s. West wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40 percent."

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com