Author Topic: Hornady Ammo Plant VS Dillon XL650  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hornady Ammo Plant VS Dillon XL650
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
OK, First off, Im not, nor am interested in starting a big posting battle between hard line Dillon users and Hornady users. I have had an older Dillon 650 and am looking at buying another progressive reloading press. What I am looking for is anyone that has used both presses and have switched from Hornady to Dillon or the other way around and why? I love my Dillon but right now I can get a Hornady Ammo Plant with the auto case feeder, the auto bullet feeder and everything I need to start loading 45 ACP for right around $1,100.00. To set up and switch to 38 spc. add in another $100.00. (I have the dies except for the powder cop and bullet dies). 
To get the same set up from Dillon with the case loader, bullet loader, dies, shell plates ect, I am looking at over $2,100.00 While I love my older Dillon, I love my megar life savings too! So before I spend an extra $1,000.00 or so for a machine that will do what the Hornady will do for half the price, please let me know what your experience has been and why you switched. Thanks in advance. Will Lynchem.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Hornady Ammo Plant VS Dillon XL650
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Well ....... Harumpff and all that.

There was a similar question just raised over on that "other" place.  Interesting.  I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (that I admit to), I have used both.  I didn't switch.  I like Big Blue.  However ........

Having use both, you can't go wrong with either.  Same same reliability, same same warranty and same same customer service.  Both will crank out gobs of really good ammo.  Were I just beginning with progressives, and were I on a budget (I am now), and did I want the biggest bang for the buck .... I'd go with an Ammo Plant.  With one CAVEAT:

Unless your going to load nothing but jacketed bullets ...... skip the Bullet Feeder.  It/They do not play well with lead bullets with lube.  Gums up the works something fierce.

Understanding, for all of the above, mine are two older 650s, one set up for large primers the other set up for small primers (I are lazy) and I don't use Dillon dies other than the resize and powder drop/expander.  ALL my other dies are Redding.  Since your currently husbanding your cash resources, shop around for the absolute best deal you can get on an Ammo Plant and go for it.  Besides, Red and Blue together make nice Xmasy colours on the bench  ::) ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
I have a Hornady A&P which is the ammo plant without the auto feeders.  The only problem I have had is with the primer feed, but that has never been a major issue.  I switched from an RCBS 2000, so I cannot compare the Dillon.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:32 PM »

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! Coffinmaker, I guess you answered my next question. I was wondering how the bullet feeder works with moly coated cowboy bullets. I still like the Idea of the bullet feeder though because I have a couple of Hi-point carbines in 357 and 45ACP that go thru truckloads of ammo. I like the idea of disconnecting the feed tube for lead bullets and putting it back on for jacketed bullets. Either way I am still keeping my Dillon but I think I'll give Hornady a try and use the extra money on bullets, brass and powder. Thanks again, Will.
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com