Author Topic: Civil war photo  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Civil war photo
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
I found this photo at the antique mall today and it caught my eye. Really puts things into perspective.

https://imgur.com/a/EzgKC
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Civil war photo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »
It is later than the CW.... both the 5 button Sack coat & the Kepi cross Rifles , post CW.

Looks like  child of color , in a studio ....  I'm thinking 1890's  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
Well now I have even more questions. I know that children under 15 fought in the civil war, but why would someone this young be wearing such an outfit in a studio in the 1800s?

(I didn't buy this, by the way...it was marked as "civil war photo" by the seller, who wanted $40 for it—otherwise I'd take it out of the frame and get more info).

Edit: Thanks for the tip, Major. Now I've been reading up about civil war uniforms and embellishments. The crossed rifles didn't appear on caps until 1875, of so I read. This is why I love this board, I'm always learning!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:00:55 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »
School military cadet programs copied current U.S. military uniforms. Or, could be a "mascot" of a regiment.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
A 'Boy's School' uniform - one of many military-themed schools of the pre-WWI era - nothing more.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:34:47 AM »
A 'Boy's School' uniform - one of many military-themed schools of the pre-WWI era - nothing more.

Scouts Out!

Doh...   'Boy's School' uniform   ...I didn't even occur to me...  

I just was thinking Studio garment,  cabinet card ....   ( Child- American Indian at Carlisle )

Thanks to both John & Robert

This taken from here may help : https://www.thoughtco.com/identifying-and-dating-cabinet-card-1422271
and so will the photo I attached ...I think  :)

Cabinet cards, popular in the late 1800s, are easy to recognize because they are mounted on cardstock, often with an imprint of the photographer and location just below the photo. There are similar card-type photographs, such as the smaller carte-de-visits which was introduced in the 1850s, but if your old photo is about 4x6 in size then chances are it is a cabinet card.

A style of photograph first introduced in 1863 by Windsor & Bridge in London, the cabinet card is a photographic print mounted on card stock.

The Cabinet card got its name from its suitability for display in parlors -- especially in cabinets -- and was a popular medium for family portraits.

Description:
A traditional cabinet card consists of a 4" X 5 1/2" photo mounted on 4 1/4" x 6 1/2" card stock. This allows for an extra 1/2" to 1" of space at the bottom of the cabinet card where the name of the photographer or studio was typcially printed. The cabinet card is similar to the smaller carte-de-visite which was introduced in the 1850s.

Time Period:

First Appeared: 1863 in London; 1866 in America
Peak Popularity: 1870-1895
Last Use: Cabinet cards are rarely found dating after 1906, although cabinet cards continued to be produced into the early 1920s.
Dating a Cabinet Card:
Details of a cabinet card, from the type of card stock to whether it had right-angled or rounded corners, can often help to determine the date of the photograph to within five years.

It is important to note, however, that these dating methods aren't always accurate. The photographer may have been using up old card stock, or the cabinet card may have been a re-printed copy made many years after the original photo was taken.

Card Stock

1866-1880 Square, lightweight mount
1880-1890 Square, heavy weight card stock

1890s Scalloped edges

Card Colors

1866-1880 Thin, light weight card stock in white, off white or light cream. White and light colors were used in later years, but generally on heavier card stock.
1880-1890 Different colors for face and back of mounts
1882-1888 Matte-finish front, with a creamy-yellow, glossy back.
Borders

1866-1880 Red or gold rules, single and double lines
1884-1885 Wide gold borders
1885-1892 Gold beveled edges
1889-1896 Rounded corner rule of single line
1890s on... Embossed borders and/or lettering

Lettering

1866-1879 Photographer name and address often printed small and neatly just below the image, and/or studio name printed small on back.
1880s on... Large, ornate text for photographer name and address, especially in cursive style. Studio name often takes up the entire back of the card.
Late 1880s-90s Gold text on black card stock
1890s on... Embossed studio name or other embossed designs
Other Types of Card Mounted Photographs:

Cartes-de-visite 2 1/2 X 4 1850s - 1900s
Boudoir 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 1880s
Imperial Mount 7 X 10 1890s
Cigarette Card 2 3/4 X 2 3/4 1885-95, 1909-17
Stereograph 3 1/2 X 7 to 5 X 7
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com