Author Topic: Finding consecutives  (Read 5997 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Finding consecutives
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
Hi. I located a consecutive pair of .38 Special USFA's. What makes this kind of neat is that they are from totally different sellers.

The first one, serial #23154 is from Joe Salter's shop in New Hampshire: http://www.joesalter.com/search_results?keyword=usfa

The second one, serial #23155 was found on gunbroker, from a seller in Maine: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/638862603

I'm not going to buy them, I just thought it was cool to find them at two different locations. I wonder what turns brought them to where they are today. Does anybody have any stories about pairing up consecutives?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finding consecutives
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
I guess I just don' get it.

I've seen several hundred "matched" presentation pieces and only one set was consecutively numbered.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Got to agree with Forty Rod on consecutive numbered guns. Every pair of guns I've ever handled were never consecutive. Heck some weren't even close to the same year and in a couple of cases the same decade. Not saying that it hasn't become a fashion of sorts to have a pair of consecutive guns, but I never saw any real advantage to it. Of the few 'pairs' I've ever ordered, only one set was ever consecutive. And I didn't order them to be that's just what was available at the time. Weird that they are USFA guns done by Turnbull, black powder frame 44 WCF 7 1/2" barrels, DT serial numbers. Sometimes, ya' just get lucky that way. ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:54:44 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
I'm of the same state  of mindset as 40T and pathfinder....

The assumption that two or more consecutive numbered guns, were assembled by the same craftsman or even side by side.
Or even the same Day or even week, is merely a wishful thought by the consumer, perhaps even fed by the Manufacturers hype or slight of hand, sales wise that they be identical.  :-\   

Perhaps, worthy of passing observation , but not Remarkable ....

What is rare or remarkable is the rather Corsican like nature of finding consecutive numbered guns, having gone on to separate
locations, owners & use....be available at two separate locations by two different sellers at the same time...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
My New Vaqueros are sequentially numbered when bought new however, one came with the hammer from the old Vaquero series. 
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
  I just thought it was interesting to find them in separate locations like that. Most of the time when you see consecutives for sale it's a custom pair that was ordered that way. If I was getting a pair of guns I would much rather have them regulated to the same POI than have them be consecutively numbered.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
When was still working at The Flintlock in Hobby City, Anaheim, I bought a pair of Uberti 1851s and a few months later noticed they were sequentially numbered.  I sold them unfired at the next Coto Cowboys match for twice what I paid for them.

Years later I got a pair of Uberti 1860s and they were also sequentially numbered. One shot like a dream but the other one was a POS from the day I took it home.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
Consecutive Number guns are ....... interesting.  Of no real value, but interesting.  Mechanically speaking, there is no guarantee the guns were built by the same technician, or on the same day, or even the same week.  It's often hard to get consecutive to run alike.  It was very common with USFA to find consecutive guns of different barrels length and different calibers.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »
Lonesome:

I agree, it is kind of interesting to ponder what circumstances brought two consecutive numbered guns together for sale at the same time.  I also agree that the fact that they are numbered in order has no special value, except for our collector instinct to have something unique.

Too bad that over time, many become so practical about matters, that they lose all the feelings of curious wonderment we had as children.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
I've not paired any up but I have bought many consecutive numbered pairs.   Family had a consecutive numbered pair of 1st Gen Colts.  So I do have the  proclivity.  Some of what I have found from shooting everything I have?  Colt pairs have yet to have anything close to the same triggers....even if the fit an finish is similar.  Shooting them?  Oh my, one always shoots much better than the other for POA.  . For the most part USFA "pair" can be counted on  to be darn near duplicates fro POA and trigger if the barrel and calibers are the same.

Those guns I would bet were build by the same smith.  Colts?  Only way that could happen is if the builder had a liquid lunch.

Always interesting to see just how much difference there can be in between a really good gun and a so-so gun only one number in production apart.

Funny really when you have so many CASS/SASS shooters who have to have two hand guns just to play the game that more people aren't interested in consecutive numbered pairs.  Even more so when you look of at the history of the guns being used prior to the 1920s or so.  Men who actually used a hand gun as intended generally carried "pairs".   If one had the money and may be a real need you got a "brace" or matching pair.    Matching, in that shooting them, you couldn't tell the difference between guns.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com