Author Topic: New Schofield with lead marks after first trip to the range.  (Read 12224 times)

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Schofield with lead marks after first trip to the range.
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
Hi All,

Went to the range to test her out and fired 50 rounds of MAGTECH 44-40 12,96 (200gr.) L-FLAT (4440C). She shot well but looks to be spitting a bit of lead. Not sure what causes this but thought I would post a few photos and get some opinions.

The top photo show the worst on the outside of the cylinder which the second show the entire face coated in what appears to be lead. I was able to remove it with some flitz but I have never run into something like this.

Not sure what can cause this but hope some of you all would likely know,

Cheers!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New Schofield with lead marks after first trip to the range.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
Normally this malady is caused either by the cylinder indexing slightly off (can be checked with a range rod) or incorrectly cut barrel forcing cone/incorrectly finished barrel breach (can be checked with Mark 1 Eyeball).

From your photo, it appears to me, the majority of the lead residue is deposited at the top, right of the chamber mouth.  That would indicate a cylinder index problem (maybe).  I would also look real hard at the breach of the barrel forcing cone.

If this a new gun and still under warranty, send it back.  They (Uberti) owe you a warranty fix or new & different gun.  If you have somehow voided the warranty (action work), my first step would be an 11 degree forcing cone.

Coffinmaker

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:42:08 AM »
Thanks! I think before I invest in a range rod I think the visual inspection would be in order and then post some photos.  As for warranty I am out of luck... When I bought this from Taylors the hammer had scratches and the cylinder had the typical SW drag line as if someone was cycling the action a lot.

Being a new gun I sent took back which took months... finally got it back and it had to go to the safe since my parents needed me more. Recently having had to put my parents in assisted living I took the gun to the range and it would not go bang... There was an issue with the safety.

I sent it back to Taylors and they fixed it but not without having to make a case about the gun never working. That bring us to this new issue. 

Cheers

Advertising

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »
m113a3
you describe all the same issues i had with my schofield. i re-cut my forcing cone, which helped the lead spitting. the point of aim was still  off though, and the fact it did not like black powder loads was too much for me. it kills me, that we the shooters have to re work nearly every firearm purchased in this hobby/sport to get them to function properly. what other relevant industry gets away with such a high percentage of poor quality control? i think we should go back to "kit guns"!
best of luck
kw

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
kwilliams,

Whoa there fella.  "Go back to kit guns???"  Haven't you noticed ..... we're already buying "kit guns."  Pre finished and assembled.  Some fitting required.  Batteries not included.

Coffinmaker

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »
Just about every cowboy gun I own, I had to do some tweaking to it.  My S&W 686-6...no tweaking at all.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
buffalo creek.........
yes there is tweaking...........and then there is re-machining! i seem to be on my bridgeport, clausing lathe, or tig welder all too frequently after laying down some large green. q/c-q/a seems to be lost these days, current case in point is fixing my ruger bisley! wifey just cannot understand why i disappear for a week into the cave to rebuild my "new gun" i think overall, we as buyers have been way too forgiving of the mfg's that produce our toys at the quality they offer.  doing enhancements is one thing, mfg. flaws another. good thing i do love tinkering!

best
kw

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
Kwilliams1876 - my point of seems to be ok so maybe the forcing cone. I will have time later in the week to look at that in detail. Did you buy one of the Brownells kits to cut the FC to 11 degrees?

I agree with the QC issues since this is supposed to be a better than average or at least that is how Taylors sells it.

Cheers

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
m113a3
my cone cutter is something i made yrs back for another "fix". a cone of 8,9,10, 11 degrees is less important than having it concentric with bore center line. my uberti cone was mostly hogged off one side. the shape of the barrel precludes it from being easily chucked in lathe....so it was tedious cutting it by hand with the piloted cutter..

best
kw

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:42 AM »
Thanks for that info. I decided to test out some Black Hills 200 GR. RNFP and did not see the same leading on the cylinder... It needs a closer inspection as far as the forcing cone.

Could it be the Magtech ammo?  Does anyone know whay size bullets Magtch uses vs. Black Hills?

Thanks!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
M113,
It's a shame most of the guns we use for our game need help.  Often, some serious help.  Even when the Mfgr's warranty folks ship one back marked "Within Specs."

For a range rod, a simple piece of wood dowel with a nice square end works very well.  Dirt Cheap too.  Your just looking for a "hitch" as it enters the the cylinder chamber.  The chance you have a correctly cut forcing cone is about ........ nil.  I have used Brownells kit for cutting forcing cones for years and years.  I fact I need a new cutter as mine is getting dull.  Since you need to cut .... 1 ..... I'd check around for a local smithy who has one and have it done.  I normally charged 10 bucks.  Same same for throating cylinders.  10 bucks.  That way I could amortize new cutters.  Anyway ...........

It is also surprising when guns are picky about the fodder you feed em.  I have never cared for Magtec.  If you get good results with Black Hills 200s, I wouldn't bother with anything else.  And, since your shooting a Schofield, I personally would have to shoot Schofield ammo thru it just to be .... KOOL!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
My Uberti Schofield wouldn't cycle after 5 rounds... of smokeless. BP was even worse. Eventually found that the frame was too close to the cylinder, but didn't find any of this until after it'd already had an action job. After all that I found that it had NO perceptible forcing cone. Bought the kit from Brownels and fixed it. Then found that it hit WAY to the left. Took a pair of pliers to the front sight. Now it shoots pretty well.
Dutch Henry wants to buy it or trade for it. I consider him a friend so, I can't bring myself to let it go home with him.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
 Is this problem the same with all cals. or just the .45's?  Don't the 44/40 seal off better,?

Thank's,, Hootmix.

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Thanks for all the additional replies! I hope to have the time after a few honey-do's to get some pictures to share. As for gunsmiths... the last one I trusted moved to Utah due to the restrictive environment here in California. One guy did try to open a shop but the city blocked him... currently its with the courts but I am not holding out much hope.

Cheers!

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »
Hi All sorry for the delay. I finally have the time to post the photo I promised.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Velly Interistink (Famous movie quote).  It appears your Schofield has very little if any forcing cone.  It is also quite ...... abrupt at the breach and could stand a light de-burring.  There is obvious leading right and upper right side of the bore.  I think you can readily resolve the problems by adding an 11Degree forcing cone.  You may also wish to check and see if the cylinder throat(s) are a match for the bore groove diameter.

Coffinmaker

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
Yup... you would think they would pay a bit more attention to the details. I am going to slug the bore to determine the right bullet size since I plan on reloading.

As for the forcing cone tools that is another $80 if I buy the kit from Brownells which is double if I rent it from 4D but since I want to buy an SAA in 44WCF then I am thinking it might be worth it. This gun is a bit of a money pit and not in a good way.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:43:51 AM »
Yup... you would think they would pay a bit more attention to the details. ...This gun is a bit of a money pit and not in a good way.
Yep that's how I feel about mine and it's the only Uberti made gun I've ever felt that way about.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
Ok all - this is what I think I need to get the job done but a 2nd set of eyes would be helpful.

BROWNELLS - .38-.45 BASIC CHAMFERING KIT  # 080-479-451WB
CHAMFER TOOL PILOT .44 Part # 080-490-381WB
BRASS LAP 11 degree .38 to .45 Part # 080-493-003WB

Thanks!

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 08:04:40 PM »
As I've got a Uberti Schofield (which I really like), I just stumbled on this posting...

That list of items from Brownells looks correct to me, but it does add up to $99 worth of items, plus the shipping costs.  So let's say all that adds up to about $110.00 total.

Here's a proposal for you to consider...

* Send me a PM message, we'll exchange emails, and then I'll send you pictures of the Brownell's Kit I have, as well as the forcing cone on my Schofield.

* After that, you send me a Postal Money Order for just $80, and I will pay the postage to mail you my kit as a loaner.

* Once you are all done, you mail me back my kit complete.

* Upon receipt of the kit back to me, I will mail you $45 back.

* So you pay $35 (net) for the use of the kit, plus the postage 1-way (which I will also pay as well).

* If you decide you really like the kit and want to keep it; then maybe we can discuss that later.  But this may be a lower-cost way for you to determine whether you really want to have the full kit or not.

This is a public forum, we've both got over 45 posts, reputations to uphold, and we're both gun-owners who own Schofield's; so all that will ensure this is done on the up & up.  Your Schofield gets fixed, you get the satisfaction of doing it, and at a much lower cost than buying all the items up front.

Let me know, thanks.

Old No7
Maine
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com