Author Topic: Trial by fire  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trial by fire
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
Got myself a new Vaquero recently, one which had an Action job. A little too much job and not enough action, since it was hitting the primers so light on my factory ammo that 2/3 wouldn't fire. OK, guess I'll swap out the hammer spring. Watched some videos, doesn't look too hard. Whoops, the punch popped out from holding the hammer spring compressed. Turns out that isn't a minor inconvenience. Finally got that figured out, then got it all back together again. Huh, the hammer won't come back. Well, if I shake it sometimes it does. Take it apart again. Watch more videos. Maybe I need to make sure the pawl is seated properly. Follow the Ruger video one more time. OK, back together, now the hammer cocks. Now the loading gate won't open! Hellfire and damnation. Take it apart again. Oh, I see, the spring under the loading gate has popped forward and out. Looks like I have to take the entire thing apart. How does this damned trigger pin come out? Watch more videos. Cursing. Grab more tools. Even with the spring fully disengaged the pin won't come out. Trying to use a punch and mallet while pushing the spring down with the screwdriver and balancing it on my lap is maddening. Never get the pin out. Manage to get the spring back in anyway. Phew! Back together again. Yay! Hammer cocks. Yay! Loading gate opens. Yay! Cylinder spins...while ...cocked? String of curse words to make Yosemite Sam blush. I know that damned pin was seated properly, I triple checked it. Spring up, pin down. Maybe it's munged? Sigh.

One thing is for sure: I'm good at a lot of things, but gunsmithing ain't one of 'em. I'm stopping for the night, tomorrow I'll take it apart. Again.

Respect to all of you gunsmiths!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Trial by fire
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
In my experience, situations like that help me to really understand how the gun works and in the end, I'm much more comfortable with it.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
That was one reason I opted to undertake it. And I definitely know more than I did. Just apparently not enough. ;)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:54:10 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
I'e NEVER had those kinds of problems with a Colt or Colt clone.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
Rugers are very simple.  As you are finding out it just takes a little practice and knowledge of how the gun functions to make sure everything is sitting in the right place.  If your cylinder spins all the time that means when you put the trigger guard on the little plunger that presses on the bottom of the cyllinder locking latch/bolt slipped out of position.

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
I think I finally got it all working. The cylinder spring plunger is catching on the walls of the recess it sits in. I smoothed it slightly with a file and put a touch of grease on it and it looks like it's fixed, although that pin still isn't as smooth as I'd expect it to be when I was pushing it in and it with my finger. I'm guessing I got it caught at some point in the process and got it slightly out of round or something. I'll get another one.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
HA!!
Now you are discovering why Gunplumbers make the BIG bucks (we wish).  After you successfully make it work again you will tell yourself "that wasn't so bad" or ...... I'm "Never taking it apart again."

Coffinmaker

PS:  I was always thrilled when someone brought me a pistol inna bag.  "Can You Put it Back Together??"  Sure.  You bring your checkbook??

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
I knew an old gunsmith who could make almost any part he needed.  He once told me that his favorite things were paper bags and shoe boxes, because he knew when he saw them he was going to make some money.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
The conclusion to my tale of woe: success! Fired off about 30 rounds at the range with it today. Every round fired and there was no trouble at all. I hope I don't have to take it apart again, but if I do at least now I know what to watch for. Just don't ask me to name all the parts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com