Author Topic: Help with my JC Higgins (Savage 311) SxS  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Help with my JC Higgins (Savage 311) SxS
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
Howdy to the camp.  I picked up a JC Higgins double for cheap, and lopped the barrels to 18.5".  It is fast to acquire and dead nuts on.

The problem, however, is that when I crack it open, the springs are so tight, it is hard to keep all the way open, so I can flip the empties out and reload the chambers.  They hit the recoil shield when they fall out.  How can I lessen or shorten the springs so they allow it to open farther without having to hold it open against spring pressure.

I am a retired Military and LEO Armorer, so I'm used to working on them myself, but I have never done this on a double before.

Thanks in advance.

TL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Help with my JC Higgins (Savage 311) SxS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
Heck with it,  Ordered a Norico hammered double.  I know they flip open easily, and I'll hone the chambers!  I'll sell the Stevens CHEAP!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Good plan.  No matter what is done to a 311 double the barrels will tend to tip up and make loading and unloading difficult.  Often times the springs and/or the cocking cam can be modified to help and this is often sufficient with longer barrel 311s.  When the barrels are cut to 18" it is very hard to tune them to stay fully open.  Also, given the other guns you have been posting about the outside hammer double fits in better with your other equipment.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:13 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
Yep, a hammered double will go better with the 1860 Henry and two 1872 Open Tops!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:32 AM »
Well ....... in all honesty, I think you've gone from "bad" to ....... "Bad."  The Norinco hammer guns is not what most would describe as ..... wonderful.  You'd been ahead to go for a Cimarron 1878. 

Do not "hone" the chambers.  Polish them only.

Coffinmaker

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
lso, Thanks for the input CM.  I realize Norincos are not top tier, but are very serviceable. Also considering I have spent a fortune in the last month re-arming, the Norinco will do for now.  Realistically I do MAYBE one local match a month and don't give a d@mn about scores.  The Savage 311 is beyond aggravating, though, and at least the Norinco is less aggravating.  I had a Norinco before as my back up and loaner shotgun, and it was actually OK. 

In the last 60 days, I already spent "the big bucks" on the 1860 Henry, a pair of Open Tops, and the 45-70.  In my estimation, Cimmaron is a little too proud of their doubles. I'd be north of $700 by the time I pay Cimarron, shipping and extortion dealer charges. That goes for the Rossi Coach guns you see on Gunbroker  $900, really?  I have less than $350 into the Norinco, including dealer and DROS.  I'll probably hang on to the Stevens as a back up, unless someone gives me $200!

By "hone," I really meant a shotgun mop with extra fine emory paper on it, then polishing with lapping compound.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
One nice thing about the cheaper Chicom outside hammer doubles is that they use coil springs.  They can actually be tuned fairly easily.  The more expensive Chicom, the 1878, uses leaf springs.  With a coil spring if the spring is to light you can just shim it with some washers.  If you get a leaf spring to light you have to replace it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com