Author Topic: Got VERY lucky on an auction the other day  (Read 13904 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Got VERY lucky on an auction the other day
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Got VERY lucky a couple of days ago and can't wait for this one to arrive. I've been trying to find an 'affordable' S&W American for some time now (about twenty five years or so), and I was prepared to go higher for this when amazingly nobody else bid. All I can say is... THANKS. Should go well with my cut down first model Schofield. 

;D  ;D  ;D

http://www.antiqueguns.com/index.php/view-auctions/categories/buffalo-hunter-indian-war-old-west/1865-1898-hog-legs-and-holsters-guns/page-100

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Got VERY lucky on an auction the other day
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
I hate you.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Bob, I know what you mean. I've seen a lot of auctions go by that I would look back at and say 'Why didn't I bid, I'd have gone higher than that.' I bid on this fully expecting to be outbid, but had to try. Apparently I must have done something very good lately, cause He was watching out for me on this one.  ;)

Heck, I was so happy to get it, I never noticed it doesn't say anywhere what caliber it is. I'm assuming it's in 44 SWA, but it could be a 44 Henry or if I'm REALLY, REALLY lucky in 44 SWR. Heck, I was still on such a high from winning that I even forgot to ask when I paid for it. Doesn't matter what it is, I can find a way around my reloading bench to get her to roar once more. ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:23:31 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
WOW!  Congratulations!  Of course we'll need updates when you get it...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
Way to go!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
Bob, I know what you mean. I've seen a lot of auctions go by that I would look back at and say 'Why didn't I bid, I'd have gone higher than that.' I bid on this fully expecting to be outbid, but had to try. Apparently I must have done something very good lately, cause He was watching out for me on this one.  ;)

Heck, I was so happy to get it, I never noticed it doesn't say anywhere what caliber it is. I'm assuming it's in 44 SWA, but it could be a 44 Henry or if I'm REALLY, REALLY lucky in 44 SWR. Heck, I was still on such a high from winning that I even forgot to ask when I paid for it. Doesn't matter what it is, I can find a way around my reloading bench to get her to roar once more. ;D

Seriously, nicely done mate.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
Thanks, guys. Soon as I get it, I'll figure out the caliber and post a couple of pics alongside my Schofield.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »
The American and First Model Russian, both with 8" barrels, are the most elegant-looking revolvers ever made. (Just my own opinion..... which BTW is never wrong.   ;)  :D)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
 ;D

Forty Rod, I agree whole heartedly, but considering what's due to arrive in the mail tomorrow, I ask to be forgiven if I start thinking that a 6" cut down doesn't look too bad. ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
Ha!!!  Form one who never met a barrel too sort, those 8 inch S&Ws have 5 inches too much barrel.   :o ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
I love the name embossed into the grip. Looks like it says J HENRY JAN 1888 but a bit hard to make out. Maybe a gift?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »
Hmmm. you mean I could have just bought John Henry's (that steel driving man) own S&W? Sweeeet! ;D

My son and I already have plans to try to decipher the carving on the grips, but that was as close as we could tell from the pictures as well.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »
Pathfinder, take a look at the cylinder.  If the chambers are bored straight through, it's a .44 American centerfire.  If there is a step in the chamber, it's a.44 Russian.  The rimfires had a cut-out slot in the frame to allow the wide firing pin attached to the hammer to strike the rim of the .44 Henry Flat cartridges.

Regards,
Ron

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Jake, been trying to figure this one out and I plan on taking it to the OGCA show this weekend to ask a couple of guys I've met there if they can. The cylinder appears to be bored straight thru, yet a 44 American cartridge is not 'snug' in the chamber. The 44 Russian fits the chamber like a glove, as does 44 Henry. The serial number on the cylinder is different from the rest of the revolver. Best I can see its a 44 Henry cylinder in an otherwise American? Sadly, the best fitting cartridge I have has no headstamp, but appears to be very close to the 44 Henry, except it's centerfire. Has an outside lube bullet and the case is longer than the American and the Russian, but shorter than the 44 Colt. God, I love a mystery! ;D

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
Pathfinder, that is a mystery!  If you want to make the investment, I highly recommend this book:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/270/2/BOOK-SWSOW

It's the authoritative source on Americans & Russians when it comes to S&W!  It's well worth the investment to get!

Regards,
Jake

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Naw.  You don't even have to go through all that time consuming and boring research stuff.  Simply ship it to me.  After I Play (I mean test) with it for a couple of years, I ship it back with a complete report  ::).  Satisfaction guaranteed   ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
Jake, thanks for the tip. I've got Pate's book on the American, but must have missed this entirely as I didn't have any Real Smiths back when it came out. Just ordered it and can't wait for it to get here. Thanks again, Pathfinder

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
I picked up a version of the model 3 in 38-44 caliber. Great fun researching it and making cartridges to shoot. Wrote an article about it in "Single Shot Exchange" and it is on my web site   Www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
So, sold your soul recently?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
It sounds like you actually have a First Model Russian, not an American.  First Model Russians looked almost exactly like the earlier American Model.  If it is a First Model Russian, you REALLY scored...

Try slugging your bore.  if it is close to .429/.430, it is a .44 Russian.  If it is .434/.435" it is an American.    A .44 Russian should not fit in a .44 American cylinder.  A .44 American has a .440" case diameter, while a .44 Russian is .457". Tomorrow I will compare a .44 American round with a .44 Russian.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com