Author Topic: Wanted posters  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wanted posters
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
Alright, fellers, I need some help. For a project I'm working on I'm trying to find images of authentic wanted posters. The internet is rife with "authentic" posters that are anything but. About the only one I've seen that I find believable is the one for the James brothers. A website that I won't name sells a verity of GENUINE REPRODUCTIONS that are ...dubious. One of them even has the infamous Billy the Kid tintype reproduced on it.

Can anyone point me to a source (website or book) that shows the real deal?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Wanted posters
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
In the Old West series "The Lawmen" there are some shown.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
I have one; but it is from the 1890s as it is a photograph of the Wantee.

[Photographs were not used in newspapers until the 20th century.  That is why William Randolph Hearst hired Frederick Remington to draw pictures.]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:14:55 AM »

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
In the Old West series "The Lawmen" there are some shown.

RCJ

River, I'm not familiar with that book and can't find it online. Could it be a different title, or is it different than the Time Life Old West series? I appreciate your help.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
Books, who offered some info above, is a book dealer, so he may have some more sources. Believe that it is the Time-Life series, the covers are brown-tone leatherette with tipped-in color image on the covers.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
I have one; but it is from the 1890s as it is a photograph of the Wantee.

[Photographs were not used in newspapers until the 20th century.  That is why William Randolph Hearst hired Frederick Remington to draw pictures.]

Books

I had read that these were sometimes used by lawmen; pictures of suspects with their vital data (height, weight, etc) written on the backside. Often carried in their saddlebags. They're not very common, I gather, so that's a cool thing to have!

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »
If I can figure out how to do it, I will scan it and post it.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks, Books! You're welcome to email it to me as well, I'll send you my email in a PM (and I'm happy to post it here for others as well).

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
I asked a few historians including Marshall Trimble, and no one was really aware of any that didn't appear in newspapers (barring the Jesse James gang one). The photos that law officers carried in their saddle bags were probably the closest thing.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:46 PM »
Here is a site with some fascinating 19th century "wanted posters" - although not all are "western", nor are they all actual "wanted" posters, but apparently all genuine in any event, and give a good "feel for the genre"  -

http://www.ranker.com/list/old-west-outlaw-wanted-posters/kellen-perry

The site looks a bit "hokey" as you arrive - with a scene from "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" spread across the masthead, but scroll down and start looking at the actual posters and circulars ... you won't be disappointed.  You will have to click on each item and then select "open in a new tab" or whatever other such option your system gives you.  The first item is the 1865 poster regarding Booth, Surratt and Harold, offering rewards totalling $100,000!

Here are a few others I believe to be genuine:

From the "British Dominions" -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com