Author Topic: Handled a real winchester 73 from 1881  (Read 4385 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Handled a real winchester 73 from 1881
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:09:50 AM »
I was going around looking at pawn shops and gun stores hoping that someone sold a 51 colt navy, when I went too a gun store called butts gun sales in Montana. While looking at other guns, I noticed a 73 behind the clerk. I asked if it was a real one, he said it was and handed it too me. Now being a young man interested in old west firearms, this was the best thing I could ever hold in my hands. An actually 73 winchester from the old west. He wanted $1,950 for it, I cried. knowing I don't have the money too put down on it too slowly pay it off. I really wanted it right there, but can't get everything you want. So, I sadly handed it back and told him that by time I get the money to put down on it, it'll be gone. he said ok, he's looking for money not my personal problems. Now, hoping it'll be there when I get paid so I can negotiate a price to put a payment down. i have to wish that it'll still be there. But i'll probably just get a uberti knowing that it can handle smokeless seeing how that'll be the only cartridges I'll be able to buy as i have squat for reloading BP. Everyone has a gun that got away right?

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Handled a real winchester 73 from 1881
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:10:45 AM »
  Hmm...I am getting ready to sell an old (1890) 1873 Winchester for way less than that. PM sent.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »
Nativeshooter, take the advise of an old hand, the 1881 Winchester is a second model, the 1890 would be a third. I own 3 of the second models and my advice is to get with Cholla and negotiate for his third model, much easier to work on. Don't believe me, look at the side, I have to drive pins out of the receiver to drop the lower tang assembly, only two screws (one each side) on the newer model. But if you enjoy the challenge like I do, go for it.  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:30 AM »

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Nativeshooter, take the advise of an old hand, the 1881 Winchester is a second model, the 1890 would be a third. I own 3 of the second models and my advice is to get with Cholla and negotiate for his third model, much easier to work on. Don't believe me, look at the side, I have to drive pins out of the receiver to drop the lower tang assembly, only two screws (one each side) on the newer model. But if you enjoy the challenge like I do, go for it.  ;D

Wow...this I didn't know. I also have an 1886 production '73 and it is identical to the '90, at least as far as I have broken them down. When did the transition from 2nd to 3rd model occur?

My '86 production isn't in quite as good a shape as the '90, so I've decided to keep it for a project rifle and part with the '90.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
Cholla, if I remember correctly the transition from second to third was sometime in 1882, I believe below the 90.000 serial no. As with anything Winchester there was some overlap of features. One of my second model actions has upper tang markings consistent with a third model, but is definitely a second. The replicas on the market are all copies of the third model, like I said, much easier to work on and find parts for. If I had it to do over I would probably have waited for a good third model to show up, but the first second model just kinda fell into my lap and the second one was very reasonably priced for a saddle worn gun that came out of Colorado. One that had been there and done that; didn't hurt it also has a set trigger.  ;D My third rifle is a collection of parts I collected to try to keep the other two running and someone just happened to put a nice barrel and later another frame and...you know how it is. All three are 44 WCF's, one has a 24" round barrel and the other two are 24" octagonal.

Oh, and I also have two Uberti's and two Euroarms 1873's to round thing out.

Offline scrubby2009

• Very Active Citizen
  • Lifelong obsession with '73's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Nativeshooter, man I feel ya! I spotted my second '73 this year with a $2000 tag on it. Very saddleworn 1st Series with original wood. Offered the shopkeeper $1500 with $400 down and I brought him a couple hundred a week until I could take it home. Never regretted it.
Responsive, timely, tactically accurate, and strategically precise fire.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com