Author Topic: Something about an 1860 Henry and a couple Open Tops that just say "Early West"  (Read 11917 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Being a real life retired California Lawman (Tuolumne County Sheriff, in the Motherlode), and a retired US History Teacher, I am fond of California's early Old west...  By the time the 1873 Winchester and 1873 Colt Peacemaker were "Taming the West" in Arizona, Montana, and places in between, California had been the Wild West for 25 years!  Initially it was 1847 Walkers, Dragoons, and 1851 Navy revolvers, along with front stuffer rifles and Shotguns that armed pioneer Californians.

In 1860, during the advent of the War Between the States, the 1860 Henry was a desired, high tech arm in the gold fields.  By 1868, conversions of the Remington and Colt percussions were showing up in .44 Henry, .46 French, other assorted rimfires and .44 Martin. (Colt/Remington 44/100) all over the Motherlode.

To me, nothing like a couple Cartridge Conversions and a Henry say "the real Early Wild West..."

Tuolumne (California) Lawman
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This thread needs pictures!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Photo puket  time clock prompt has been deleted ....

Sorry for the inconvenience, TL  please feel free to repost your photos form a non hostage domain 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
Very nice! I like the way you staged the photos as well.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks.  The bottom two are my 1871/1872 Open Tops in .45 Colt that I have not picked up yet.  The short barrel I get on Friday, and the long barrel will languish at the gun shop another month because of our stupid laws in Californication.  I also have an 1860 Colt that I have an R&D cylinder on the way for it.  The 1858 Remingtons are actually for sale in Classifieds.  I am keeping the 1863 .32 S&W Remington, though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
How did your Septic turn out Pard ?
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Money is in the bank, just waiting for the soils engineer to revise the system to please the county, who changed the rules of the game, after it is played!LOL.  Alls well, though, thanks for the word with the Big Guy, though!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Where did you buy your hat? Also, those open tops really compliment the henry.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks!  The hat is from the Resistol John Wayne collection.  I bought it at the national Cowboy Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City in January.  It was only about $100.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
cool, i'll see if i can't find one.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Man, all the photos are gone now! stupid photobucket.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Too bad the photos all disappeared. I agree, Tuolomne Lawman, about that Early West time period as being interesting. So much going on then, from an historical perspective. When I head off to a Cowboy match now, I usually grab a 60/66 rifle and a pair of percussion/cartridge conversion pistols. Pretty sure I'm going to run into Bill Hickok and a buffalo or two when I get there! ;)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Yes Yes Yes  :D

ALL My main match rifles are Henrys.  I top that off with Mule Ear Hammer Double guns and my match pistols are Percussion.  Uber FUN!

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
You bet, Coffinmaker! I did forget to add in affection for the hammered double shotgun. Wouldn't seem right otherwise. I prefer the barrels on the shotgun to be a bit longer than the coach guns. Was able to pick up one of the 1878/TTN(whatever name they are going by now) with 26" barrels and love it. :)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125

Yes Siree .. Bob!!

My favoritist Henrys are my 16 inch Trapper and my 19 inch Carbine I copied from a custom built original Henry.  Of course my alter, alter'd ego is known as  "Hacksaw MacGurke" whom never met barrel Too Short.  So while I can understand your preference for a longer barrel on your Shotgun, Mine (ho ho ho) are either at Federal Minimum or no longer than 20 inches.  I do so like short barrels.  For my Main Match revolvers, I shoot Never Nevers.  44 caliber 1851s (Pietta) with 3 1/4 inch barrels and dovetail black sights.  Capitol FUN!!!

The 1878 use to be the "TTN" but is now "Cimarron" but who knows what now that Rump has decided to play trade war.  Humpff.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
You should try using imgur, thats what I use and it works great!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Here's a picture of me cranking out 44-40s from my 1860 Henry at Railroad Flat (High Sierra Shoot Out) last week end.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
That's a cool picture.  I like it!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I forgot to mention, I shoot all rifle targets clean  (120 rounds + 30 rounds for BP night match) at RR Flat with the .44-40 Henry.  I was using 7.0 grains Trail Boss and a 205 grain Bear Creek bullet for main match, and 32 grains volume 777 for the BP match.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
Nothing like shooting a pair of 51's and a Henry .
Its about as close as you can get too the Real Thing !
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com