Author Topic: How Wyatt Earp MURDERED Curly Bill Brocious  (Read 3847 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How Wyatt Earp MURDERED Curly Bill Brocious
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:44:14 AM »
I watched the video. The title should be" How Wyatt Earp killed Curley Bill Brocious".

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
I watched the video and was impressed. It's well made. The only thing that I wondered about was the statement from attributed to Wyatt Earp that his shotgun blast almost cut Curly Bill in two. That's a dramatic statement more akin to a modern movie. The distance shown in the movie did not seem to match the ballistic power of a short barrellled shotgun or even a 30 inch barrelled shotgun. Maybe it was the way it was Reacted for the video.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:51 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
The story told in the video is based upon Stuart Lake's book, "Wyatt Earp".  Lake's "quotes" of Earp's recollections seem unlikely.  Here is a portion regarding this incident:

"I can see Curly Bill's left eye squinted shut, and his right eye sighting over that shotgun at me to this day, and I remember thinking, as I felt my coat jerk with his fire, 'He missed me; I can't miss him, but I'll give him both barrels to make sure.'  I saw the Wells-Fargo plate on the gun Curly Bill was using and I saw the ivory butts of Jim Hume's pet six-guns in Hume's fancy holsters at Curly Bill's waist as clearly as could be.  I recognized Pony Deal, and, as seven others broke for the cottonwoods, I named each one as he ran, saying to myself, 'I've got a warrant for him.' [Here he names the seven.] I knew Curly Bill was cut in two and I threw the loop of my shotgun over my saddle horn and grabbed for my rifle."

It doesn't sound like Wyatt claimed to have examined Curly Bill's body.  I doubt that he really felt that the double-shot had literally cut him in two, but it's possible that he did believe it.  It may have been another of Lake's melodramatic quotes, Earp being melodramatic or simply poor memory.  Either way, it is not likely that Curly Bill was "cut in two".  Shotgun wounds can be horrific and certainly fatal without literally cutting someone in two.

I'm more interested in the location that the video places this incident.  The location is a very contentious issue.  Does anyone know more about the archeology and the artifacts mentioned in the video?  I'd be very interested in learning more...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Ol' Curly just needed a good killing.
Like the Good Book says "sow the wing reap the whirlwind"
Ol' Curly did a good bit of sowing a lot of which must have been buck shot.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • I promise I won't laugh at your mule.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »
Just for reference: Curly Bill Brocious

The REAL code of the West:
Do unto others before others do it unto you.
WH#3

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
small hat, big cattle !  didn't keep stock fer long, here today dogies gone tomorrow...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com