Author Topic: Doc Hollidays sidearm at Tombstone  (Read 14018 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Doc Hollidays sidearm at Tombstone
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
Howdy!
Are you referring to the book "Guns of the Gunfighters" by Doc O'Meara?
The only pic of a Derringer i could find n that book, was on page 109, the one owned by Buffalo Bill.
In the three pages about Doc Holliday it only shows a pic of a Colt that Katie Elder identified as Docs and a pic of a shotgun that was believed to be the same type as what Doc carried.

Yes it would be great if these guns could talk but they don't need to when you've got great documentation and a solid timeline of ownership.
I don't have a problem with people questioning the authenticity of a thing but I find it frustrating when incorrect, unresearched statements are thrown around. Makes it that much harder to indentfy the facts.

I emailed a pic  of the affidavit and a few pics of the gun for R.W. "Doc" Boyle to post on his website.
If you already haven't found it ..have a look see if you like .
Here's the link: 
http://dochollidaylive.biz/docs-guns/

Merry Christmas!

I have just gone to the link you posted above. Although it is hard to see the details that would help (me) identify the "model" of the gun, I do now believe that is a two-line address and patent date, which would identify the gun as a 2nd Model (we use the Karl F. Moldenhauer system of classifying the variations).  It has been too many years since I examined the gun at the Beinfeld show in Las Vegas. I have NOT examined the gun in possession of the Glenwood Springs Historical Society. I talked with Mr. Kight about the gun a few days ago, giving him the criteria for determining the vintage of the gun, and some references. I asked for some clear photos of the top of the gun, or at least a description of the markings, but have not heard back from him.

The extractor thumbpiece, which was the only thing shown in the book "Guns of the Gunfighters" (Peterson Publishing 1975) that distinguishes the model of the gun, is definitely a Third Model thumbpiece (vertical and horizontal line with no border around the thumbpiece.  It is possible that the extractor was replaced at some point in time with the later version. Not hard to do, and not uncommon.

Given the gun shown is a 2nd Model, then it definitely could be of a vintage that Doc Holiday might have owned.  So far as the inscription is concerned, Kate might have been trying to make up for having accused Doc of robbing the stage.  Given their tempestuous, off-and-on relationship, she might more readily have given him the contents of both barrels.  :o ::)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/colorado/articles/2017-03-12/old-west-gunfighters-pistol-returns-to-colorado-town

"A historical society in Colorado has authorized the $84,000 purchase of a pistol previously owned by one of the Old West's most famous gunfighters."  :o
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »
Was 'The Last Gunfight' good? Always looking for a new book to listen to at work (audio books are wonderful).

Very good, much history and less Pro Earp or Pro Clanton nonsense. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:38:42 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com