Author Topic: What grain bullet for 357 magnum in Miroku Winchester 1873  (Read 2610 times)

Offline arlen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What grain bullet for 357 magnum in Miroku Winchester 1873
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »
I have just received my new Miroku Winchester 1873 Sporter and want your recommendations for the bullet weight that I should use.  It is chambered for 357 magnum.
What is your recommendation for grain of the bullet?  I do not want to strain my action more than necessary.  This is a leisure rifle, not for hunting or precision target shooting.
Regards,
arlen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: What grain bullet for 357 magnum in Miroku Winchester 1873
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
With cowboy level loads you won't strain the action in your lifetime.  Any round nose flat point or truncated cone bullet from 105 grains on up will work fine.  Recoil is not an issue so even if you are shooting 158s or 160s it won't make any difference.  You donot want to use semi-wadcutter style bullets as they can jam going into the chamber. or cause difficulty in loading.  (The shoulder on the bullet hits either the shoulder at the back of the mag tube or at the back of the chamber.)  For a lot of people their match ammo has a 125 grain round nose flat point bullet or the 125 grain truncated cone bullet.

Offline arlen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
Thank you very much for the info.

Would FMJ be best or JSP?
Regards,
arlen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:31:48 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »
Thank you very much for the info.

Would FMJ be best or JSP?

Depends on what you are going to do with it.  You said it will not be for hunting or target shooting.  The vast, vast majority of bullets shot out of these is just plain old lead.  To keep the lead off your fingers a lot of people are moving to poly coated bullets.  But you don't need jacketed bullets for plinking around and they are prohibited in cowboy action shooting.

Offline arlen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
Fantastic!! This rifle shoots like a dream. With open sights I can hit a shotgun shell in the snow at 30 ft. A loose pine knot in the snow at 50 ft. Now, believe this if you want, I was able to hit a 5/8" diameter wooden dowel at 75 yards (it took 4 tries.). I hit many other loose items at the primitive shooting range in the forest. In all I shot 28 rounds. And let me assure you I am a 67 year old blind feller.

This was a very good purchase for me. Sights required no adjustment. Everything seems to be mechanically sound with the rifle. Well balanced firearm and a beautiful wall hanger. Winchester is wonderful.
Regards,
arlen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com