Author Topic: Dipping my toes in the water...  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Old Dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dipping my toes in the water...
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »
I know that it will be a while, if ever, before I get two single action pistols, a rifle and a shotgun. So, I'm starting with the first step.

I have shot a rental Beretta Stampede. I liked the way it pointed one-handed. I fired 40 shots from it one-handed and definitely did some damage to a silhouette target. It seemed to point naturally.

So, I'm sure a lot of you folks have shot both Colt replicas and Schofield replicas. How do the Schofield's point one-handed in your opinion. I have never held one. I just drooled on the display case at a Cabela's. They look as if they would be heavier and not point as well, but what do I know? In this case, not much, which is why I am asking for your opinions.

Thanks for your time and your input.
NCOWS/SASS alias--Pettifoggin' Pete

No problem is so simple that it cannot be made unclear by the application of logic and language.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Dipping my toes in the water...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:05:02 PM »
You will be flooded with opinions.

Mine is that you should attend a few matches in your arrea, introduce yourself as an interested bystander, and wait for foks to start handing you guns to try out.

Styles will run the gamut from Colt cartridge and cap-and-ball, to Remingtons...also cap-and-ball and cartridge, S&W, and a host of others in every barrel length imaginable.  You will also see many originals and may be allowed to handle or shoot them, too.

That's just the pistols.  You'll get the same treatment with long guns.

Unless you're in some all-fired big rush, take your time and spend some time looking around and seeing what suits you.  You might even want to "settle" for a Ruger (Boy, am I gonna catch hell for that.)

Stay in touch on the wire, too. It's the greatest source of info you can find without a library card and a lot of time searching Google.

Enjoy, and welcome aboard.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:26:38 PM »
If you've been to Cabeba's take a look at the Milleniums . These are about a inexpencive as you will find new in the box. (NIB)

They are Uberti's ( just have a utility finished ) Beretta and Uberti under the same corperate roof and they shold be very close in the feel and point of the Beretta Stampede.
At $275 they are not the bargin they were just about two years ago on sale at $199 each.
But still, a hundred or two under the full zoot finish Uberti's & Stampedes.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:37 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 08:57:36 AM »
I'll second Forty Rod' advice.

The Colt Single Action Army - for me - has an exceptionally 'natural' feel and it's 'pointability' is noteworthy.

The Remington 1875 and 1890 - while similar visually - have different poits of balance from that of the Colt.

The Smith & Wesson Schofields are yet another thing.

Your hand may 'choose' one over the other all on its lonesome - and remember - the larger the caliber - the lighter the feel, since the extra steel left in the cylinders for smaller calibers will give a different feel than its larger-caliber brother.
Barrel length also plays its part.

C&WAS is one of the rare shooting activities where 'everyone' seems to want you to give their weapon a try, so making your eventual choice will be easier than you may think - thanks to those friendly folks.

One bit of advice when you're shopping - go to a few Gun Shows and look at the wares of a 'regular' dealer - the kind who normally sells hunting guns and Glocks and such.
Sometimes, they'll get in a C&WAS gun and since they deal in modern firearms as a rule - it doesn't 'fit' into their scheme of things, so they'll price it to move.
You may find a real bargain

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 10:09:12 AM »
O.D.--All the posts here have the words of wisdom that only time and experience bring, I will not add to that. One thing I will throw out is that NCOWS has a Working Cowboy class that only requires 1 pistol and 1 rifle, half of what you need to start in SASS! Sure, I'm pluggin' for NCOWS here, but that's exactly the reason this category was started in the first place, so the "new" shooter on a budget(who isn't?) could get into this sport for around half of what it would cost to shoot the other categories. If you live anywheres close to an NCOWS posse, by all means check it out. Good luck in your firearms search.
                                                                       GW
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com