Author Topic: new holster break  (Read 2024 times)

Offline echoe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new holster break
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »
Hi guys.to the gun.  I've got a brand new holster for my 3rd mod. dragoon. I've got the pistol hanging in the holster to mold it to the gun. Is there a preferred oil or leather treatment that will help the holster mold better to the  fit of the gun?

thx

tc

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: new holster break
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Howdy, Pard,
My process for forming leather holsters is as follows:
1) Hold the holster under a running faucet of lukewarm water for just enough time to wet the leather inside and out.  Usually this takes less than a minute. Smooth out any droplets so they won't watermark the leather.
2) Insert the gun in a Zip-lok bag, wrapping it tightly around the gun.  Some folks prefer to coat the gun with grease, but I like the baggie method better, as moisture is less likely to work its way into the action.
3) Insert the bagged gun in the holster, working the gun around a bit.  If there are parts of the gun that stick out (the rammer, rammer catch, etc.), you may need to form a track from the part upward toward the top of the holster. This is to prevent pockets forming in the leather that could "trap" the gun in the holster.  If necessary get hardwood dowels from your hardware store, and sand down one end to round the end. I use dowels that are anywhere from 3/8", 1/2" to 7/8" in diameter.
4) Allow the leather to dry with the gun in the holster for a couple of hours...NO MORE!
5) Remove the gun from the holster, and allow the leather to dry overnight or at least until it feels dry to the touch.
6) Remove the gun from the baggie and insert it into the holster, working it in and out until you are satisfied with the ease of the draw. It is better to UNDERDO this and repeat the process of working the gun in and out of the holster.  Leather is fairly easy to stretch. It doesn't shrink back so readily (although it will shrink somewhat in the drying process).
7) Treat the outside of the leather with Fiebling's Bag-Kote (or TanKote if you can't get the former).  Apply SPARINGLY! I usually spray it on from a squeeze bottle, then wipe off any excess with a soft cloth (old T-shirt works great).
8) Give the leather a light application of Kiwi shoe polish.  If you can't find a color that is close, use the neutral polish. Brush or use a soft cloth to polish.

This is what I do to my customer orders, as well as for my own rigs. Hope this helps.
Ride easy, but stay alert!
Your obdt servant,
Trailrider
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »
Here's a thread we have for just wet molding.

Wet Molding Leather

Welcome to the forum, pard.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:36:04 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com