Author Topic: Recommended Reading...  (Read 1732 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1672
Recommended Reading...
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
   Greetings!

I've found the following to be an informative and enjoyable source document: "Hints To Riflemen."
by H.W.S Cleveland, New York: D.Appleton and Co., 1864. Reprinted, 1948 for The New Jersey Arms
Collectors Club.
   The author discusses in detail the merits and deficiencies of various Breechloaders in comparison to the
familiar Muzzleloaders, as well as his experiences with several, including the Henry, Spencer, Maynard,
and Colt's ( Root ). Informative and illuminating.
   I purchased my first copy a few years ago for under $20; another copy that I had gifted to a friend
was about $30. It's well worth looking for.
   Incidentally, another somewhat later book would be A.C. Gould's, "Modern American Rifles", Boston:
Bradlee Whidden. 1892. My copy, reprinted by Thomas G. Samworth, 1946.
   ABE Books (booksearch engine) and eBay are both good sources for used books, as I have had great
success with both for "Book Safaris".

M.T.Marfield

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1672
Re: Recommended Reading...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
   Greetings!

More suggested reading: "Winchester for Over A Century, Vol.4", by Bill West, 1969, LoC#64-66442.
Although a difficult book to find, the author collected and SHOT all of the available Winchesters he could,
beginning with the Henry, using what .44RFH cartridges he could find, after unsuccessfully attempting
to have a run of cartridges made.
   His information and experiences are interesting, and in my mind, make this a valuable source document
for vintage arms enthusiasts like us.

M.T.Marfield

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com