Author Topic: 44 Colt  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
44 Colt
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place for this. I am looking for someone that can reload my 44 colt brass. There is no company locally that carries this caliber. I want to get reloading equipment but not sure what to go with and I am in the middle of restoring my truck so I don't have the money to buy it.

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 44 Colt
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
You can buy some single stage reloading equipment fairly inexpensively. 

I doubt you will find someone who doesn't know you to reload for you. Too much liability. You may be a good guy but there are some who would blame any mishap on reloads. Plus, there may also be state sales tax issues, FET, selling across state lines etc. An attorney could play havoc with someone's finances.

I would recommend making friends with a fellow shooter and then ask to use his/her equipment. I've let some friends come over and in my presence reload their cartridges. But, I've known these fellows a long time.

Good luck

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »
Yep; what he says !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:40:43 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »
I use a LEE turret press with auto index, a four hole turret, LEE factory crimp die, and a powder dump. Should be able to get the whole setup for less than $250-300 if you shop.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/814175/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
Does Lee have good reloading kit you can buy or do you have to buy everything separate? What other equipment is good and not too expensive?

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
Lee single stage is fine, I would stay away from the other LEE progressive machines and such.
My suggesting would be, RCBS, Redding, Hornady. Or buy a used one.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
I use a Lee 4 head turret with the indexer removed.  Stable enough for handgun, keeps the dies together, and set right. 
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
I use a Lee 4 head turret with the indexer removed.  Stable enough for handgun, keeps the dies together, and set right. 

Me, too.  Perfect for me as I load a bunch of different calibers, usually 50 or 100 at a time, and changing calibers is super fast.  Speedwise, it's between a single stage and a progressive.  You might find a deal on a used one.  Not much to go wrong with these.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »
Which Hornaday kit should I go with

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
Someone needs to write the rednecks guide to reloading for situations like this. No offence at all toward the op. Think of the buffalo hunters out there reloading and casting in 30 mile an hour winds lol.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/622290/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-value-kit

I load 12 different calibers with one of these.

I stayed away from progressives until I got one of these. I am very happy with it. The Midway price seems like quite a deal.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
I have a Lee 3 hole turret press. I have to manually turn each stage, but I do the reloading processes in stages.

I deprime and bell the cases in one stage. I then prime the cases when watching TV. When I'm ready to load, I load powder 50 at a time (in a tray), then install the bullets. It's time consuming, but I check everything as I go.

This year, I'm going to get a Dillon press to speed up the process.   Black powder loads will still go the first way.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
.44 Colt was my first foray into reloading!

First, are you loading "modern" (.429 bore) .44 colt or "original" (heeled or hollow base projectiles and .452 bore)?

If you are loading the standard .429, look around for someone who wanted to reload then quit.  If that fails buy a kit from one of the better names.  I got an RCBS kit on sale that had everything I needed save dies for a couple hundred.  

On the subject of .44 colt dies, you can use .44 Spec./Mag dies but if I were just doing .44 Colt I would buy a set of Lee .44 Russian dies.  

Teach yourself, it is simple.  Basically you need to throw a couple to demystify the process and get comfortable.  Also, where are you?  Some cowboy in your area reloads and is happy to help, just ask brother.  If I can assist in any way drop me a note.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com