Author Topic: .45 Colt or .44-40 in uberti 1873  (Read 23454 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
Re: .45 Colt or .44-40 in uberti 1873
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
If i had a choice i guess id rather not too.  But i thought it came on all of them

Naw you can order them either way.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »
Well, I've had a lot of fun with this gun.  All of you seem to have been right about the .44-40 over other calibers.   Here is a video I did for the gun illustrating the inner workings and showing just how clean the gun is after having fired 10 rounds of CleanShot Black Powder substitute.    The velocity of the original rounds fired was actually about 1230 ft per second (like the Cleanshot) and 8 gr of Unique 1180 ft per second.   What I quote in the video for originals and Unique was what I was expecting whereas the gun performed beyond my expectations.  

I like this gun.   I am shocked at how clean it is after using that dirty so-called Clean Shot powder.  <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fAaUmfa23Zs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does anybody else have experience with Clean Shot?  I usually use American Pioneer in recent years.  But this old can of Clean Shot is all I have that comes close to black powder right now.  That stuff is a mess.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 10:40:49 PM »
I got to be the first to "like" your video! It was kind of funny watching you cycle the action with the sideplate off.  I was saying to ,
myself,  "That left toggle link is going to fall out. Yep, it's working it's way out. Ah, he touched it and could feel it out of place. Ah, he pushed it back. Oops, it's working its way back out. Yep, there it goes!"  I don't want to think about all of the times I've done that. Nice video.  I always like seeing other's guns and never seem to tire watching a toggle link action work.  Thanks!  Oh--mine is a 44WCF too.  It's just a perfect match of cartridge and gun. A match made in Connecticut.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:07:17 AM »

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
I got to be the first to "like" your video! It was kind of funny watching you cycle the action with the sideplate off.  I was saying to ,
myself,  "That left toggle link is going to fall out. Yep, it's working it's way out. Ah, he touched it and could feel it out of place. Ah, he pushed it back. Oops, it's working its way back out. Yep, there it goes!"  I don't want to think about all of the times I've done that. Nice video.  I always like seeing other's guns and never seem to tire watching a toggle link action work.  Thanks!  Oh--mine is a 44WCF too.  It's just a perfect match of cartridge and gun. A match made in Connecticut.

CC Griff

Hey thanks for the like.  I just added a more extended version explaining why tge .44-40 doesnt have any blowback and the different powders.

Yeah, that toggle link is very loose and easy.  Especially with the other sideplate off.   (See my other thread about the pain in the butt that was getting it back on, lol).   Anyway, this gun is really impressive.  I have no regrets in my selection and am thankful for all of yalls recomendations and thoughts on the .44-40

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Hi

On a side note, I just finished reading Mike Venturino's books on both Cowboy pistols and Lever guns.  He reviews the guns, and loads for them.  The 44/40 was the most accurate load for SAA and most of the lever guns.  .45 Long Colt wasn't, and wasn't even close.

I have several non-cowboy purchases to to work up loads for.  After I get that sort of thing done, I think I'll get a couple of SAA in 44/40 and a 24 inch lever gun in the same caliber. 

Later Y'all
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I got on the 44WCF band wagon this year. 

In January we found a Marlin 1894 Century Limited in a local gun shop and trained for it. No box or papers and no testimony but it looks unfired.  It's hidden in a sock in the safe. 

I then ran into a nice pre-safey Marlin 1894 carbine in 44 Magnum at good price and trained for it.   I knew Numrich Arms had a 44WCF barrel that would fit it.  A local cowboy gunsmith swapped the barrels.  No problems. Works and looks like it was made in 44WCF.   

Then I had bought a brace of Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxes in 44WCF.

Then I got the bug for a Winchester Miroku 73 in 44WCF and found a used one.  I'm very impressed with the quality of the Miroku Winchester. 

Meanwhile,  I was negotiating a deal to buy a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in 44WCF from another cowboy action shooters. By now I'm getting 44WCF poor!  But this Marlin had all the custom parts installed and action worked over by Widowmaker Hill.  It's as slick as oil on ice.  And it's a reasonably rare gun in that it is one of 336 made by Marlin for Davidsons in 2000.     

I load with BlackMZ in Starline cases with 160 grain bullet.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
Hi

On a side note, I just finished reading Mike Venturino's books on both Cowboy pistols and Lever guns.  He reviews the guns, and loads for them.  The 44/40 was the most accurate load for SAA and most of the lever guns.  .45 Long Colt wasn't, and wasn't even close.

I have several non-cowboy purchases to to work up loads for.  After I get that sort of thing done, I think I'll get a couple of SAA in 44/40 and a 24 inch lever gun in the same caliber. 

Later Y'all

Yeah, i’ve hsd thoughts of getting a cimarron 7.5 in 44-40 but they are geting harder to come by and my vaquero .45 or Schofield uberti serve fine.  Just load my gunbelt half and half when i have my rifle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com