Author Topic: I succumbed to the Open Top disease!  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
I succumbed to the Open Top disease!
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Well, when I came back to CAS this year, the first thing I did was buy an Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt, a J C Higgins 12 Ga. SxS, and two Pietta 1858 Remingtons with the 6 shot .45 Colt R&D cylinders from Cimarron.  I was very contented, but....

My persona is an ex-military lawman in the California Gold Fields.  He carries an 1860 Henry and two .44 Henry revolvers.  about 10-12 years ago, when I was in CAS the first time, I had a pair of 1872 Open Tops to go with the Henry I had then.

Remington conversions were common. and even some examples in 44 rimfire.  Problem is, I wanted an Open Top.  Well, I was browsing Gunbroker and found an unfired, NIB used 1872 Open Top, Navy frame, 4 3/4" barrel in.45 Colt... for $400 But it Now!  I did it, I bought it.  At that price, I could not resist.  I did it.  What's worse, I know that after I get it, I'll sell one of my two Remingtons and R&D cylinder so I can get another!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: I succumbed to the Open Top disease!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
In the past, when I had the Uberti factory gated conversion 1858 in .45 Colt, I carried a Colt 1872 Open Top as my 2nd pistol.  That is probably what I will do again, because I like both styles of conversion.  The 4 3/4" Colt as my "little" revolver,  paired with the 8" Remington in .45 as my "Big" revolver.

When I get the Colt (after shipping time and CA 10 day jail), I'll probably sell my 5.5" 1858 and the R&D cylinder.  Nice thing about that is no FFL needed!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »
Now, without passing go, nor Collecting $200, go directly to Larsen E Pettifogger's tutorial on prepping an Open Top for service.  Especially the part that addresses Barrel to Arbor fitting.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:04:44 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
Now, without passing go, nor Collecting $200, go directly to Larsen E Pettifogger's tutorial on prepping an Open Top for service.  Especially the part that addresses Barrel to Arbor fitting.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker always tells people that but he never tells them where it is.  ;D

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7988.0

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
Well, darn! I had to do it. I am getting a second 1872 Open top with a 7.5" barrel, also a Navy grip.  If'in my persona had an 1860 Henry, and wanted two pistols in the same caliber, 1872 Open tops, first issue 1873 SAAs, some gunsmith 1858 conversions, and some non-factory Colt 1860 long cylinder conversions were the only game in town..

If it was 1872, and it was me, it would be two Open Tops.  My problem with the R&D cylinders is dexterity of my arthritic 65 year old hands at the loading table.  I really like the Remingtons, but a gated conversion from Uberti will run yet another $100 more than a second Open Top.

Problem is that, cause of the draconian "One handgun every 30 days rule" in Californication, I can't actually take possession until 30 days after I get the first one, which will be two weeks from now! ARGH! >:(
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
Abilene!!

Oh for cripes sake.  Did I do that again??  Well of course I did.  I have the memory of gnat.  A small flighty Gnatt.  What a nuisance.

Mumble mumble mumble.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Sorry 'bout that.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
I don't have it bookmarked, whenever I want to find the articles I just google "Pettifogger opentop" and the Open Range page comes up on top.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
AH, LIFE IS GOOD!  My 4.75" Open Top .45 Colt will arrive Tuesday at my LGS to start its 10 jail.  AND.... I found another used, but not fired 7.5" .45 Colt Open Top for $389.00 on Gunbroker.  It also has the early Navy frame.  If I figure correctly, I can pick up the "shortie" on April 5th, and my "big girl" a month later on May 5th.  That means I will have them both for High Sierra Shoot out on Memorial day  weekend.

Two Open Tops, an 1860 Henry Military Model with sling, and a 12 Gauge JC Higgins (Savage-Stevens made) SxS  cut to 18.5" and also with a a sling to boot!  I feel well armed.  Add my .31 Remington (with .32 S&W R&D Cylinder) and .38 S&W H&R top break for pocket pistols, a Marlin 30-30 loaded up with hard cast for long range lever rifle, and a couple of 1858 Remmies for C&B pistols (with R&D .45 Colt cylinders for back-up guns) I am all set!

As I said,  Life is GOOD! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
The clincher for me, that caused me to get a second Open Top, and sell the 1858s with the R&D 6 shot .45 cylinders was dexterity.  I was practicing loading and unloading, and the arthritis in my fingers played heck with the dexterity needed to reload the R&D cylinders into the Remingtons.  It is a snug fit, and requires some jiggling.  Despite the fact that they would seem easier than an R&D in a Colt clone (since you have to take the barrel off), it is still much easier than the Remmies.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:06 AM »
Yep.... I much prefer the Colt grip ....  your photo's clearly show the "knuckle room" the Colt has  :)

I've had Remington's mostly as trades, including the Factory Conversion 45 you traded to me years ago ....good shooter P.O.A. wise,  but front heavy and with full case BP & 250 grain pills quite uncomfortable in a 6 stage match ....

I kept the above Remington , way longer than any others,  but was not used much because of the " knuckle racking "
 finally ,  it also was sold for the capital to get yet another Colt.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
I will confess that that is a factor I forgot about.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
Nice guns T.L., love the Open Top/Conversion guns. You mentioned in one of your posts that the one gun was going to do its "10 Jail". Do you Calif people have to let a handgun or any firearm you purchase 'languish' for a ten day period after passing other rights to purchase? if so "WOW", you Calif residents need to get rid of your libs in the legislature and get rid of that lib Gov you have. Feel sorry for ya. FWIW, that includes illegals voting and probably dead people and find and prosecute those voting for those misfits 2-3 times.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »
Yep, ALL firearms have a 10 day waiting period, and you can only buy one every 30 days!  Total BS.  We'll never get rid of the libs.  The great masses of people feeding at the public welfare trough, including illegals and dead people, have their votes purchased with freebies that the working minority pay for.  I recently saw a figure that 42% are on some social program or another.

Enough politics.  I think I will go visit my Open Tops today.  One i pick up next Friday, the second a month from now.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
Well, I pick up my 4.75" 1872 Open Top on Friday, but my 7.5" will be another month because of California's one pistol every 30 days rule.  To satisfy the STORM urge for a second pistol, I have an R&D .45 Colt cylinder coming (also Friday) for my antiqued finish Pietta 1860.  The following weekend they will be used in a match at Murietta Posse in Ione, CA. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »
Well, I am all in.  I sold the 1858s with R&D in favor of two 1872 Open Tops and an 1860 with a R&D cylinder as a back up.  I did keep the 31 Remmie with the .32 S&W cylinder, though!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!  well, first it was two 1872 Open Tops, then it was an 1860 Avenging Angel with Thunderer grips and an R&D.  Now I sold my 1863 Remington with a .32 S&W R&D cylinder, and ordered an 1849 Colt pocket Wells Fargo (no ram) and a .32 S&W conversion cylinder for it!  There is no cure....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com