Author Topic: New Sharps  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
New Sharps
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »
Gentlemen,  Thought I'd share pictures of my new (to me) .54 Sharps rifle.  It's a Farmingdale Shiloh, serial #234.  Can't wait to get it running!  (Sorry I'm not better at taking pictures.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Sharps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
You will not regret this acquisition! My Shiloh 1863 New Model .54 caliber is one of my favorite rifles and is very fun to shoot.  It does require a little extra care and attention, especially in loading rounds and with clean up chores.

I wrote an article fornThe Shootist last year providing info on history, loading cartridges and shooting. Mine was built in Big Tim de in -986 before the Bryan family acquired the company.

Last year, Kirk at Shiloh cut a front dovetail and installed an adjustable blade front sight and fitted a new gas plate, which should keep it shooting long after I am gone.

Charlie Hahn's tubes and Steve Brooks' Moulds cannot be better for use with this rifle.

Enjoy!
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »
I'm interested in using the Hahn tubes.  How thick are they?  Are they actually cardboard or are they paper?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:32:34 PM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
You scored brother.  That is one fine looking Shiloh Sharps and you can't beat the price.

When do you plan to break it in?

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »
I've got to get a bullet mold, preferably one that duplicates the original.  Can't wait!

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
Charlie Hahn is a great guy, and is an expert in these percussion sharps.  He provides conversion services to the sliding sleeve of Italian rifles to keep fouling from binding them up, but it is not generally required on the Shiloh rifles, at least not for mine.

His website to purchase the tubes, which are hard paper and are totally blown out of the bore upon firing, is http://www.hahnmachineworks.com/.

Shiloh used to carry them in their store, but I don't believe they stock them any longer.

Steve Brooks makes a mould especially for use with the tubes and his mould is first rate.  I also have a Moose Mould Dave France copy of an original bullet, which is great to use with hand rolled cartridges.  It is an aluminum block instead of the iron Brooks mould, Andy is also a fine mould.

Please PM me with your email address and I will send you an electronic copy of my article, if you are interested.  This offer is good for anyone else so interested.

Matt
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com