Author Topic: Has Marlin upped their quality yet?  (Read 18865 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Has Marlin upped their quality yet?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
In the January "Rifle" magazine, there is an article on the 'new' Marlins by Brian Pearce.

Qualilty is said to be improving, but there were questions about wood-to-metal fit. There were pictures of a gussied up "2016 Limited Edition", engraved, fancy wood, etc. The butt stock configuration is ugly!

Looks like they have a way to go to regain user confidence. Older "JM" models will become scarce and pricey. I know of one '95 Cowboy model in 45-70 going for $1500.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
I just purchased a Marlin 1895 "Cowboy" in 45-70.  One of the infamous "Remlins".   ;)

According to the barrel code this one was made in October of 2015.  Wood to metal finish is very good and the action is quite smooth - as good as any rifle I've had that did not have a custom "slick up" job.  Overall fit and finish is more than acceptable.  Wood is of a nice grain and finish, and the metal finish is well above average.

Articles I've read on various marlin sites (and I looked at a lot) tend to indicate that the rifles made in 2014 and 2015 are the best since the transition - but the review didn't cover 2016.  My guess is the quality will stay the same now.

I guess like all firearms some will be better than others as they leave the factory, but all in all I think Marlin/Remington got past most of the quality control issues they were having in 2011 and 2012.  They did have some real quality control issues through there with what was called the "Marlingtons". ::)

I don't have a lot of rounds through it yet but the only thing I've found so far I didn't care for was the silly "Warning" they have stamped into the right side of the barrel.  Yuck!  But as a shooter it seems fine.

So - all in all - so far so good ............. :D

Offline Linn county ranger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
sass
ncows
soot lord
lassoos # 88
nra life
usmc

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:25:13 AM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
I bought a NIB 1895 Marlin Cowboy in .45-70 last year for $795.00. It shoots great! The fit and finish is great, I love this rifle!! :D
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com