Author Topic: Ruger SS Enhanced CMD .45 CP  (Read 3095 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger SS Enhanced CMD .45 CP
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Had my first experience with a Commander length 1911 today.

Shot like a Trooper with 200 SWC/4 grs Tite Group and 230 RN with same charge. Recoil noticeably heavier with the 230 RN as might be expected.
It was no feat to print 8 rd groups in the head of an IDPA target at 10m you could cover with a Canadian twooney. At 20m, it printed 3-1/2" groups.
Two fast aimed shots from the holster required a little more focus than with a 5" 1911. Fast out of the holster!

BUT - first thing I did at home was to swap grips with a Ruger SR1911. The checkering on the grip panels of the CMD are so aggressive that my support hand still bears the marks on the meaty portion of my thumb after a couple of hours. Continuous shooting would be punishing.

Great little gun. Too bad it isn't Wild Bunch eligible.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
Re: Ruger SS Enhanced CMD .45 CP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
My Dear PJ -

I must concurr, the comander length 1911 ( mine have pachmeyers) are some of my favorite "hammers" .....

yhs
prof (bored indoors) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
I'm having to learn to shoot a 1911 all over again, it's that different from a 5" Gov't model. The balance is better, but recoil is a more snappish, especially with 230 RN.

But - I misinformed everyone. It's a REMINGTON R1 'Enhanced' Commander, not a Ruger as stated in my OP. A good clue is the huge [REMINGTON] logo on the left side of the frame.

I've been comparing it to my wife's two SR1911s and the Rugers pale by comparison. The Rugers rattle when you shake them. The Remington is as tightly fitted as my Series '70 Gold Cup and has a trigger almost as good. I expect it to improve a little with shooting.
The only other gun I have that is as tight is a blued 5" R1 that came with a superb trigger right out of the box. It's my 'go-to' 1911 and I shoot it box stock in IDPA and Wild Bunch. Well, not quite stock - I installed a long trigger.

First thing I did when I got home was to change the grip panels for a set of rosewood SR1911 panels with less aggressive checkering.
Those on the R1 were downright punishing with 230 gr loads! The Ruger logo on those grips will undoubtedly cause confusion in minds other than my own.

I think I'll slim down the wide safety lever as it is a pretty broad shelf, patterning it after the Ed Brown ambi safety levers on the SR1911s. But that can wait until I've put more rds down range.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:04:58 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com