Author Topic: Mosin Nagant Legallity  (Read 3847 times)

Offline The collector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mosin Nagant Legallity
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
OK, Still new to this sport and in my research phase. Outside fo the sport I am a self-diagnosed Mosin Nagant fanatic. I was wondering, in long range shooting only, as I understand that in 3 gun competitions and the Mosin would not fly at all, if the stock were to be modified to be permanently a single shot rifle, would it be allowed? I only ask because; 1. The M91/30 was originally designed in 1891 and even if you wanted to argue that the 91/30 is a 1930's redesign of the M91 plenty of M91's were converted to 91/30's. 2. The Swiss Vetterli is allowed, I have been told, in long range competitions even though it is fired by a firing pin rather than a hammer. 3. If the gun's magazine were removed, or cut off and the mag hole were filled with a block of wood it would no longer have a box magazine... just wondering if this would work based on those rules/ideologies mixed together. Thanks!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Mosin Nagant Legallity
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
Why bother modifying your rifle?
The Grand Army of the Frontier allows the Mosin Nagant 1891 with the hex receiver unaltered. For both main stages and long range.

Stop down at The Barracks and have a look around. We have members who shoot their Mosin Nagant now in competition.

The GAF Grand Muster is coming up in June. Lots of fun to be had!

And I have shot my Vetterli in both NCOWS long range, and in GAF matches. Particularly since the 1877 Vetterli is documented as being used on the Nebraska frontier during the time period.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline The collector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
I do not have a hex receiver, I only have 91/30's and M44s. If I did this mod I would buy an additional stock and trigger guard assembly to modify to keep the original equipment stock. I have a Mosin that needs a rebarrel and I was thinking of actually redoing it in .45-70 or .44-40. If I go through with this mod, there is no real keeping any part of the rifle stock any longer anyway. Whether or not the gun would become SASS legal will not affect my decision as like I said, the barrel needs replaced.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:35:01 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
OK, well I can't speak for SASS as I don't play their game.

It sounds like you're trying to convince someone your mule is a Quarter horse because they're both equine, have four legs and pointy ears . . .

I guess the question is, why Cowboy Action Shooting?  :)

Perhaps look into Zoot Shooters. Your rifle fits their time period perfectly.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline The collector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Well, I totally understand where you are coming from. But, here is a little bit more info about my interest in Sass and my progression in today's gun culture. I was raised on the old Westerns. I loved John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, and the movie Tombstone will forever be among my favorite films. With both actors I was also heavily exposed to WWII and other military campaigns. After joining the Marines in 2006 I was further exposed to the stories of Bella Wood, Tarawa, etc and became enamored with Military history. I started my research at WWII and I would eventually start collecting WWII rifles so that I could find a way to share in the experience of that war. I moved forward into Korea, Vietnam, and into the modern day. I've built over 15 AR-15s now, most I built for friends on their receivers, so I do not have that many, but I also I started to collect Soviet and Warsaw Pact stuff and I became enamored in Russian history. This lead me back to WWI, because the Mosin was heavily used here, and I started to slowly collect guns from the WWI era. I don't have many, but I have a couple of pre 1918 firearms. I started back in college around this time fancying a history degree, so I started to learn things about the 1700's and 1800's...of course this translated to me wanting to invest in black powder weapons, which I have yet to do, and when learning about the incidents that resulted in the events like Custer's Last Stand my love for the old west came flooding back to the fore front of my mind. It was about here that I started looking into competition shooting for fun. I accidentally stumbled on Cowboy action shooting, and I am enthralled by the concept, the premise of reenacting, and getting to experiment with, experience, and collect a whole new niche' of firearms. Even the calibers involved are insanely interesting to me. So my thoughts on the Mosin that I have asked about...how is all of this relevant? I am interested in Black powder shooting, 3 gun, and long range. I do not have any guns that fall under the guidelines of SASS shooting as of yet, but I do have several Mosins and a ton of spare parts. I just wanted to know if there was some way that I could use one of them until I could find something more appropriate. Just so I can get started is all Thanks.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
If you're that interested and own several AR types - trade them for period-appropriate weapons - it's just that simple.

Rather than trying to make the sport adapt to you - which it isn't about to do - try to get what you need, then enter into the sport on an even playing field.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
St. George,

Great reply! Thanks.

I have a large number of firearms in my collection. I don't even know, myself, the full count of the collection. Many are antiques or pre 1898 made firearms, with a number of modern made reproduction throne into the mix.
The most modern one I have is a Makarov. A copy of a Walther PPK in 9mm Makarov. A nice DA semi auto pistol from the old USSR time period.
I have found it much easier to chose a firearms that best fits the historical time period I wish to shoot, than it is to try to change the history that allows me to use a particular firearm.
Just a mind set that I have for myself. Most of my shoting pre date 1880.
With that being said, I have also been doing this for more than 45 years.
I can only hope that "The collector" will be able to do the same thing one day?
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Well, I totally understand where you are coming from. But, here is a little bit more info about my interest in Sass and my progression in today's gun culture. I was raised on the old Westerns. I loved John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, and the movie Tombstone will forever be among my favorite films. With both actors I was also heavily exposed to WWII and other military campaigns. After joining the Marines in 2006 I was further exposed to the stories of Bella Wood, Tarawa, etc and became enamored with Military history. I started my research at WWII and I would eventually start collecting WWII rifles so that I could find a way to share in the experience of that war. I moved forward into Korea, Vietnam, and into the modern day. I've built over 15 AR-15s now, most I built for friends on their receivers, so I do not have that many, but I also I started to collect Soviet and Warsaw Pact stuff and I became enamored in Russian history. This lead me back to WWI, because the Mosin was heavily used here, and I started to slowly collect guns from the WWI era. I don't have many, but I have a couple of pre 1918 firearms. I started back in college around this time fancying a history degree, so I started to learn things about the 1700's and 1800's...of course this translated to me wanting to invest in black powder weapons, which I have yet to do, and when learning about the incidents that resulted in the events like Custer's Last Stand my love for the old west came flooding back to the fore front of my mind. It was about here that I started looking into competition shooting for fun. I accidentally stumbled on Cowboy action shooting, and I am enthralled by the concept, the premise of reenacting, and getting to experiment with, experience, and collect a whole new niche' of firearms. Even the calibers involved are insanely interesting to me. So my thoughts on the Mosin that I have asked about...how is all of this relevant? I am interested in Black powder shooting, 3 gun, and long range. I do not have any guns that fall under the guidelines of SASS shooting as of yet, but I do have several Mosins and a ton of spare parts. I just wanted to know if there was some way that I could use one of them until I could find something more appropriate. Just so I can get started is all Thanks.
I don't see any way you can use a Mosin in CAS/SASS, I have one and I've shot it once about 10 years ago at an outdoor range. All my time is tied up with cowboy shooting. Maybe you could sell a few Mosins and get some CAS guns?????
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
I've shot my Swedish M1896 Mauser at BAMM (Bolt Action Military Matches) side matches at Winter Range. There are side matches in both Wild Bunch & the Bucky O'Neal matches that are available to be shot. Depends where you are but some clubs who have the time for side matches are giving these serious consideration.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
In summation:  For CAS/SASS, your M-N isn't legal for anything.  Isn't going to be legal for anything. Cannot be used.  Cannot be modified in any way to make it legal.  Trade goods at the next Gun Show.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com