Author Topic: Colt Done?  (Read 14666 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Colt Done?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
The O1991 series is  ...

just thought..... it's not good business, to admit your Company is .... pouched , last leg's , death throngs , or belly up....

ask,  SEARS, Sports Authority- K-mart  , Pontiac , Oldsmobile , Blockbuster, USFA ,

Course the reasons vary, but ALL either did (or are)... loss big time in final sales.

Colt may indeed hold out , maybe restructure  :-\ ....they are not even in the top 20 Arm manufacturer in the US  

I hope they can....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »
   Colt may indeed hold out , maybe restructure  :-\ ....they are not even in the top 20 Arm manufacturer in the US  

Therein is the rub.
Colt just isn't a major player any more. barely a player at-all .
They have had too many re-org's, RIF's, and "turnaround specialilsts" all designed to make their "non-gun investors" feel good.
Once they lost the Military contracts, I figured their days were numbered.

I have seen far too many restructures and failures of other corporations and this fits an ugly pattern.

I can hope otherewise, but there just no positive facts or positive financial indicators, only the "happy crappy pie-hole noises"
from the corporate mouthpieces who are literally paid to put a positive spin, even on a sinking Titanic (and the band played on).

yhs
prof grumbles.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
my point exactly ...Prof
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:26:27 AM »

llanerosolitario

Re: Colt Done
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
A gentile little reminder.  Colt 1911s are built in the Philippines.  Rock Island Arms.

Coffinmaker

That is just not true.  Colt makes their 1911s in their West Hartford plant, from rough forgings in both frames and slides, supplied  by another American company, based in Hartford too.  And using the best American steel, by the way.

I have seen with my own eyes these forgings, in wooden boxes, I touched them... at one side of the machines, while we were touring the different steps in their manufacture until both frame and slide is finished, operations , carried out  mainly in modern CNC centers, though it was interesting that the Colt representative showing us the factory told us that they were still using old machinery designed by John Mosses Browning and made before WW2 for certain operations. I saw those machines...they still had many in full working condition.

By the way, I can say the same about the Ar 15s  and uppers. We saw and touched the initial rough forged  parts from aeronautical aluminum, stocked  in piles at one side of the CNC machines as they were being finished  and ready to go to the next operations until ready to be deburfed, adjusted and sand blasted.

They also had a good stock of bar steel to make barrels, for both pistol and rifle. We were told that they are working, by the way, in a new totally new semiautomatic  pistol design, in their engeenering department,  that is, literally, located in the middle of the factory, face to face to the production line.

We were able  to see also their much publicized  sanding and polishing operations, made by hand as advertised in their catalog......and by the way, I didn't see robots there..at last, in the main manufacturing operations, including blueing, where I saw just one guy working with the salt baths ( it might be a Dulite but they didn't tell us).

The custom shop is just that, a small custom shop with just one engraver, working in house, and a few gunsmiths. Most of the factory is dedicated to the Ar 15 production, thought they are making the FN machine gun under license, and the handgun production for the civilian market is part of their business, but not all their business.

The factory works in batches, in other words, they don't make all models at same time, so if you are lucky enough to visit the factory, you'll see the manufacturing process, not in detail of course, of 3 or 4 models only.

We did that tour through the factory last Jan, current year 2017,  just after the Shot Show, and of course, no photos or cameras were allowed in a factory that works for the US government among other customers.

Interesting how they tested their Ar15s,  by the way, for reliability and accuracy : they were tested in machine rests with tv cameras and being computer monitorized all the time, with recorded data, five or six at the same time, I don't remember exactly, by guys dressed more like doctors or scientist than like shooters, with no human interference during firing.  A noisy room, indeed.  You pay more for these rifles for several reasons....American parts, and high attention to every step in production among them.

Just mentioning that we were touring the factory as foreign dealers and Colt distributors. Visiting the factory is extremely restricted.

Finally, let me add that  Colts policy is using American parts in their products, and I can  testify about it....I remember some foreing guys, in the Shot Show, offering them MIM and investment cast parts,  but Colt representatives  were clear about it: " only American parts, thanks."

Well...he didn't even say thanks.. I would  say that the Colt  representatives were somewhat..offended by the idea of using foreign parts in their catalog firearms, advertised as Made in USA. Which doesn't mean that in the future they may sell other products under a license agreement, of course.

Pd:

I  know Brent Turchi in person. He was every year in the Shot Show, face to face to the customers from the trade..... allways helpful and friendly with everybody. Last  time we sent them a couple of guns for refinishing and engraving, he had them ready in record time. I wish him the best and I have no doubt that his vast experience will be valued by  other companies in the industry.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »
Thank you for that interesting report of touring the Colt factory, llanerosolitario.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com