Author Topic: 1881 Frontier six shooter  (Read 3325 times)

Offline rust

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1881 Frontier six shooter
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
Hi,
My Frontier six shooter barrel slug at .427 and the cylinder throats are around .4235.
Should I ream the throats .427 or .428 ?The cylinder is thick and in a good condition.
I want to shoot 42798 pure lead bullets over 28 to 33 gr of OE 2f bp.
Thanks for your advises.
Rust

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 1881 Frontier six shooter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
Here is how it works...... Your barrel slugs at .427 and hopefully that is the dimension at the groves.  Your cylinder throats are a nominal .4235.  That is .0045 smaller than the bore.  So ......... with the bullet swaged ...0045 smaller  than bore, the bullets are slipping and sliding around down the bore, leaving lead and really not stabilizing.

Next, with the small throats and most common bullets, the swaging process starts at the throat.  So for a nanosecond ore three the bullet actually becomes and obstruction and than squirts out down the bore.  Pressure goes up and more importantly, so does "Felt Recoil."  The biggest biggie is the Felt Recoil.  The elevated pressure isn't enough to present a danger.

In conclusion (thought I'd never shut up didja), your chamber throats need to be opened to .4275 or .428.  I'd personally opt for .428.

Coffinmaker

PS;  Then I'd order my bullets at .428

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
Is an 1881 made frontier six-shooter collectable. I would be tempted to load soft cast bullets and have a try, before I did the deed.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:01:38 AM »

Offline rust

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:13:42 AM »
Thanks for your advises.Today I am going to swage somme pure lead .426 bullets with my cylinder
(it's the way I got my .4235-7 size) it does not need much pressure from a wood dowel.
I'll shoot them over 28 gr OE bp in Starline cases and see if I get somme accuracy.
The lead should slug up to the bore size by the black powder explosion.
I'll make my decision afterward to ream or not.
Thanks again. Rust

P.S. the cylinder is probably not original.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi Rust.

Well ....... Think about that.  The cartridge goes off.  The bullet exits the case.  The bullet swages down in the throats.  The bullet slips and slides down the bore.  The bullet doesn't "bump up" or "Slug up" from the BP explosion.  The bullet may well run a mite sideways or as I like to say "Catiwumpus" and may even pick up some spin.  Optimum accurate ain't gonna happen however.

Now, if your not competing, shooting CAS, trying to win prizes or the like and your gun is just going to be a "can roller" it may well be just fine.  If you want the most out of it, your gonna wind up reaming the throats.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com