Author Topic: Got a USFA  (Read 4275 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Got a USFA
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
I got my first "SAA". It's a USFA Custer Battlefield.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Got a USFA
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »
I was going to comment on the nice (and valuable) pistol sock, but I'll just say, "Nice gun."  Congratulations!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
Thanks, CCG. I like it. Can anybody tell me how I should prep this gun for shooting? Do I need to do a full disassembly and cleaning, like you do for cap n' ball guns, prior to shooting? I want to shoot black powder loads but nobody around here sells them so that will have to wait until I can order some or learn to make my own. I have some Winchester Super X, .45colt, 250 grain, Cowboy Action Lead Flat Nose. Muzzle velocity 750, Muzzle Energy 312. Since they say "cowboy action" I would assume these are good for this gun? Will plain old Ballistol work for clean up after shooting smokeless rounds?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:11 AM »

Offline swoobie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
Super nice, love the Custers!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:16:42 AM »
Sir Pigeon,
If your going to run a little smokeless thru it, I would suggest you stop by your local gun shop or Wally World and pick up a can of "Break Free."  Cleans smokeless and leaves a light lubricating film behind.  I have never used Ballistol on anything but Black Powder.  There is a Caveat though.  I don't really like nor recommend Ballistol.  The only thing use Ballistol for is to squirt the Carrier Block on my toggle link rifles when they get balky from fouling (personal thing) however "others" like the stuff just fine (Yuck).

It's always a good idea to thoroughly clean a new gun before you put it into service.  Make sure there is no left over machine szwarf and a little drop of oil here-n-there.

Coffinmaker

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker. I have some Break Free. I disassembled all but the loading gate, elector rod and firing pin and cleaned the internals with Break Free. I used Ballistol for the bore, chambers and the outside of the gun.

I am thoroughly impressed with this gun. The only flaw I can find is that some of the finish on the hammer rubbed off from cocking but I can feel no resistance when cocking the hammer so that doesn't bother me. All internal surfaces are smooth as a baby's behind, not a burr to be found as far as I can tell.

I have put about 100 rounds through it now and it functions flawlessly. Shooting from a rest at 15 yards Winchester cowboy ammo made a 1.5" group right to point of aim. Magtech cowboy ammo did about the same only it hit about 1" lower. One of the reasons I chose USFA over a real Colt is that I had read a lot of reports and it seemed USFA was the most likely to hit to point of aim. I am really pleased with this gun and it is probably the finest crafted thing I own. The only thing that could make it better is if it had a new blue/CCH finish but I can live with the antique finish since it functions so well. The antique finish does kinda grow on you but I think I will have to get a blue/CCH eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com