Author Topic: Lee Loader's!!! Finally  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Lee Loader's!!! Finally
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
I finally got to setting up one of my Lee Loaders,,w/ 3 turret head,,w/ powder measure on the expander die,i added the micro powder slide ( don't have any rifle discs. ) it won't throw enough at 1 stroke,,reset adj.screw,,doing double dip,,,.Using H-4198 ,,does not meter real well ,,I think maybe some 5744 will do better as it is a smaller tubular type power.Using my Lyman reloading book  No don't have cohono.,to take reading's,,just go'n by the book. I regreat ever selling my old #55 Lyman powder" dumper",,never had a bad problem with it. The primer system ,,,,,not ,,,,right, working on it. OH ! yea,,loading for 40/60 ,try'n for25grs. work'n up toward 28grs.

Hootmix.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
Re: Lee Loader's!!! Finally
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
I converted my 3-hole turret to a 4-hole, as I use the factory crimp die on some of the calibers I reload.   Speedwise it is between a single stage and a progressive, not real fast, but makes very good ammo.

There is an adaptor that lets you stack two disks to get larger powder charges, as an alternative to using the adjustable charge bar.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »
Yes Sir: I don't really like too double dip,,but i'm do'n with what I got. Mostly I think it's this tubular powder. The unit it's self works pretty smooth. I have a older version (model) "Pete AT Lee Precision " say's they don't have a primer arm that will fit ,,but I bought 1- of the newer (large primer) arms ,,,yep won't work,even bought a ram w/ the pin to hold the primer arm,,zilch,nada,,but I will make one of some kind.My other unit will be for pistol& 44/40 ,it works faster than I can think,,it also 3 head ,,bought all new parts when I got it ( 3 of every thing). Wish I could do the  picture thing so ya'll could what i'm cry'n ( actually i'm just whine'n) about .

Using Lee 3-die set ,works good ,crimps just about right,,took a while setting it up.

Thank's Abilene,,,,,Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:43:50 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »
I always prime off-press with an RCBS hand primer.  Resize/deprime 50 or 100 at a time, then hand prime that batch, then back to the press for the rest.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
I'm thinking that might be the way for me ,,too,,i have the Lee hand loader,,your right great for ,,easy priming.

Thanks ,,,Hootmix

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:41:40 AM »
completely wore out one hand primer after many thousand primers.I am now working on a new one for loading .45-70 and .30-30 ammo. Lee products are great, well built, economical, entry level tools to start reloading. Both of my "Blue" presses use Lee dies in several calibers.
I lent my 3 hole turret press to a son in law who became an ex son in law with my Lee press...drat. Wish I had it back (the press not the son in law)
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
I have used a LEE turret press with auto index since 1995 (same one).  I upgraded to 4 hole so I can use LEE factory crimp dies, and just added the newer ram with the attached primer arm (the old T shaped arm SUCKS!).  22 years later, it is still going strong, and has loaded everything from .38 S&W to 45-120 Sharps and 56-56 Spencer. (though really long cartridges like the Sharps, the auto index doesn't work).  Currently I load .45 Schofield and Colt, 5.56, 30-30, and 7.62x39. The listof calibers that I have loaded in the past is too long to count.

The current style ram with the spent primer channel and hole, and the arm attached to the ram is a dramatic improvement.  With the old ram, spent primers would get stuck everywhere, and the old style T primer arm would start to bend.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Mr. Tuolumne,,i'm sorry I can't do the picture thing'y ( not yet),but I sure could use a pic of your new ram set-up.The new ram I have ( 0n my standard 3-head) has the pin for the primer but sure don't work worth a "snot",,it has the primer hole in the back,,which is neat ,,it sound's like your press is about the same age as mine (I have 2,,I index's for sm. cal. ).  My primer arm keeps falling out-off  the word "sucks" fits.

Thanks for the reply.

Hootmix.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »
 Mr. Tuolumne,,we talked about our Lee loader's ,,primer arm ,,mine sucked like you said,,soooo,,i built one works perfect,,trying to get pictures on here  so you can see,,,may have to send pictures  by e-mail if you like?

Hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com