Author Topic: S&W Schofield Modern 2000 model vs. the Imports  (Read 39064 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: S&W Schofield Modern 2000 model vs. the Imports
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:07 AM »
Flint, I have a pair of 45 Ubertis that do well with bp subs and always had this little suspicion that many were just not using the right loading techniques with bp.  Well about a year ago I received a 44-40 version and can say without a doubt that not all Ubertis were created equal when it comes to bp!  The new acquisition does not respond at all to the loading techniques that had worked so well in my earlier pair.  Right now I am using the 44-40 for scavenging parts but when VTI gets in what I need it will be sold/traded.

From a gunsmiths point of view, could the longer Uberti frame opening be used to accept a shortened cylinder, Schofield length, and fit a bushing to accomplish the orriginals gas ring function?  Kind of a reverse engineering idea, but even with this, I have heard it said by some that, in its day, the old Smiths were considered to be finicky with bp ammunition???? 

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
Flint, I have a pair of 45 Ubertis that do well with bp subs and always had this little suspicion that many were just not using the right loading techniques with bp.  Well about a year ago I received a 44-40 version and can say without a doubt that not all Ubertis were created equal when it comes to bp!  The new acquisition does not respond at all to the loading techniques that had worked so well in my earlier pair.  Right now I am using the 44-40 for scavenging parts but when VTI gets in what I need it will be sold/traded.

I will echo that statement.
I had a little Uberti "Wells Fargo" model that would shoot black all day long. I  had always wanted the full length Army model and when I found one I convieniently gave the shorty to my son (who loved it) for his birthday and Christmas. The new one wouldn't shoot 3 rounds before it bound so tight you couldn't move it by hand. 'Course it had a lot of other problems as well and had I realized it before I started working on it, it would have gone back. As it is, we fixed one problem then another until we got them all fixed. It's ok now but still isn't all that accurate. At least it will shoot smokeless realiably now (I haven't had a chance to try it with black again yet)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
The old originals shot blackpowder just fine.

If they were finicky - the Army wouldn't've wanted another production run, but by the time they did, S&W was too invested in commercial sales, and declined.

These new revolvers were specifically designed for smokeless powder and wonder of wonders - they all shoot that propellant admirably.

Plus - today, these new guns are being used as sporting toys rather than as weapons - so they're receiving far more 'play' than any of the originals were ever subjected to throughout their service life.

The Army simply did not practice 'Handgun Marksmanship' as it's done today - there wasn't much money allocated for the ammunition, and the primary weapon was the Carbine for the Cavalryman, or Rifle, if in an Infantry outfit.

From a gunsmithing standpoint - shortening a cylinder and adding a bushing/washer will necessitate a corresponding lengthening of the barrel into the frame for cylinder-to-forcing cone gap, and if you think you've got a powder fouling problem now - see what there'll be for build-up if that issue isn't addressed.

The problems 'may' lie in the use of substitute blackpowder - but I can't say, since every Italian-made clone seems to be different, when it comes to tolerances and metallurgy.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:15:06 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
In my Uberti's case it wouldn't even shoot smokeless reliably as it came from the factory and as I said FFFg geox wouldn't even go 3 shots. The gap between the frame and the cylinder and the frame was practically nonexistant. After the the cylinder started to warm up it expanded enough to rub the frame. I'f I'd have found the problem sooner it would have got sent back.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
I recently bought the S&W and own a Navy Arms Russian, a Uberti Schofield, and 2 Beretta Laramies.

The Smith has some subtle quality feel aspects above the others that inspire confidence.
This is akin to closing a car door on an American car vs. closing a car door on a German built car.

The Navy Arms is the best quality of the Italians followed by Beretta, IMO.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
My Taylor's & Co. Uberti built Schofield Wells Fargo 5" barrel has done very well too compared to the Navy Arms gun I have.  I don't see any huge differences in quality at all.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
I have 2 schofield models of Italian decent. One is a Navy Arms Uberti model and it is a beautiful gun. The other is an Army San Marcos (sp?) wells fargo model and it is a great gun too. The Uberti is tight on fit and finish and has the full length barrel. The ASM of course has the 5 inch barrel and it too is solid as a rock. I've put a few thousand rounds through the ASM and it still is tight and reliable. So I don't know what someone ment by it being a piece of crap. Mine was a latter release before they went out of business. I would put them both up against any S&W Schofield in a shoot off. I think they are solid and well made guns.

I was lucky on cost too. The ASM only cost me about $500 new and the Navy Arms one cost me $750 used.

8)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »
You're on!  That is, if we ever find ourselves at the same match.  I've had both the Uberti and the S&W and, while the Uberti is a good gun, there's really no comparison.  I still have the S&W, as well as a Uberti Russian, and the Ubertis both feel kind of clunky, compared with the Smith.  Also, the Smith is much better made.

One other thing about the S&W 2000, it's worth dressing up.  The usual asking price these days is $2k; I got mine for $1.3k, and I'm putting another $1.5k to $2k into it for grips, engraving and gold inlay.  That's not something I'd do for a mass-produced Italian of any make, and I can't see a Uberti as an heirloom.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Works for me.  ;D

If memory serves me correctly, S&W had either ASM or Uberti make the gun for them that S&W put their name on. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I do recall reading that a few years back. It might be worth checking into just to be sure.

I love my schofields either way. And though the ASM has gotten a bad rap, I'll stick by it. Mine might be a lucky one in that it is solid and has had no problems.
Rick.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
As stated above - Smith & Wesson reverse-engineered a Schofield that belongs to Roy Jinks.

It was built entirely in-house, at the S&W plant.

There are zero Italian parts involved.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
I am in Southern California, Los Angeles area. I have a Uberti Schofield and would like another. I am offering a Stainless Old Model Vaquero plus $400.oo cash for one.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Another point in S&W developing the Schofield cartridge is the larger rim diameter.  At the time of its introduction, 45 Colt cases were balloon heads.  This produced a rim with all rounded corners (see a 22 LR case).  S&W was trying to prevent the dropping of extracted brass between the star and the cylinder, an irritating and potetially deadly thing to the soldier in a fight.

The small rounded rim of the Colt was also the reason no-one chambered rifles in that caliber.  The modern made solid head cartridge case, with sharper corners, particularly at the base of the rim, will extract from a rifle, and will extract more reliably in the Schofield.  The 45 S&W case is still a bit better with its larger rim.

By 1887 the Colt .45 round was no longer a benet cup copper round.  It was a produced as a copper Berdan or Boxer primed brass cartidge with an extractor groove.  It did not provide any advantage over .44 WCF.  Winchester had no incentive to produce a rifle in a Colt caliber.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
As stated above - Smith & Wesson reverse-engineered a Schofield that belongs to Roy Jinks.

It was built entirely in-house, at the S&W plant.

There are zero Italian parts involved.

The reason I brought it up is a gun dealer friend of mine told me that the old ASM version of the schofiled was originally built to fill an order with S&W to reproduce their schofiled. It was built to be the same size as the original (from what he told me) and was modified to take the .45 colt round.

I guess I have a little bit of a hard time believing S&W would spend all the money to tool up and produce a limited edition gun and then not keep producting htem if they have the machines to do so. A bit difficult to understand whey the would do that.
Rick.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »
Simple - price...

Italian clones started flooding the market as Smith & Wesson introduced their Schofield and folks just wouldn't pay for them.

I know a few of the guys on the design team that worked the Schofield project - Italian sub-contracting wasn't even a thought, since the idea was a 'real' Schofield - built by the originators.

S&W tried lowering the overall price by eliminating the Oak display box and accessories - and packaging the weapons in decorative cardboard boxes - but the price wasn't low enough - and by that time, folks were looking at the weapon as a collector's piece - something that'll never happen with the Italian stuff.

With a 'very' limited clientele, and dwindling sales - they shut down their production line - though all CAD drawings could be used if there was a real need to produce more.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »
Thanks for the info. Always nice to find out the history of the guns available.
Rick.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
Enough of my BP pards have told me of their fits with the new repro No. 3's and Schofields that I won't buy them.

I did have a pair of 44 Russian No. 3's a few years back and they were beautiful guns that I loved shooting - but I was still shooting smokeless back then.

Maybe when I make O-6 and the kiddos get scholarships to college - I can find some original No. 3's that were well cared for and fire them with the one true powder.  I have seen shooter quality N0. 3's go for much less than the slighty used S&W 2000 schofields - and they will work with BP!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
As a side note, S&W used a Mountain gun cylinder which is larger in diameter than the original. Also, as many know they eliminated the gas collar as well. The ASM was THE most authentic as it was exactly the size as an original but they lengthened the cylinder for the .45 Colt thereby eliminating the gas collar as well.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
As a side note, S&W used a Mountain gun cylinder which is larger in diameter than the original. Also, as many know they eliminated the gas collar as well. The ASM was THE most authentic as it was exactly the size as an original but they lengthened the cylinder for the .45 Colt thereby eliminating the gas collar as well.

Thanks. That confirms what I heard about the ASM version. Maybe I got lucky with mine. It is solid and has never had a problem. The only complaint I have on it is the latch to release the barrel to allow reloading is still so stiff it pretty much requires both hands to open it. My Navy Arms model can be opened with one hand. I think the stiff one on the ASM was a fix to the initial problems with guns that popped open when fired. It sure worked in my guns case.
Rick.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
S&W shot themselves in the foot with the high cost of the product and not chambering it to .45 Colt which really limited its appeal compared with the Italian made guns.  I have shot a modern S&W since making this post and I could tell it was a bit lighter than the Italian guns, but it had a gritty trigger and action compared to the clones I own.  I don't see the justification for buying the modern S&W and the added cost.  Folks want $1800-2200 for them now! :P

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 12:40:05 AM »
The cost is now a bit lower for used pieces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com