Author Topic: Nuther 1897 for me!  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nuther 1897 for me!
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »
They way when it rains it pours.

Had a guy come to our monthely CAS shoot Sunday. He started unlaoding things and putting them on the table. He said he was getting out of CAS and was selling his gear. Part of his gear was a Chinese Kuandian 1897 trench gun.  I picked it up admired it racked the slide and found a problem. Someone had taken the action slide lock spring and screw out for some reason. OK, I can fix that. Asked him how much and he said $150.00. I paid the man. So I get the gun home, take it completely apart, clean all of the parts and put it back together. I then proceeded to order a new action slide lock spring and screw. They came in today and wouldn't you know it, the screw is too small. So I suspect it is probably metric. OK, I will just put the new screw in my Winchester 1897. I did and it fit. So I start looking for parts. Guess what pards, there are no parts for the Kuandain 1897. I have ordered a new screw form Numrich that is for a Norinco. I hope it fits.

The gun is in excellent shape and seems to function properly. However, I will not shoot it until I have action slide lock fixed. I highly suspect that if I shot it with out the action slide lock, I would get a face full of retracting bolt.

If this screw does not work, anyone have any ideas where to get parts or how to make what I have work? I know that Loctite makes a thread repair kit. I wonder if it would hold up?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Nuther 1897 for me!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »
I've not heard of Kuandian, but would suggest contacting Coyote Cap.

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
They were imported byy Century in the 80s

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:55:03 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
Your '97 has been "modified" by some Ham Hock to be "Slam fired" for SPEED  >:(

Coffinmaker

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
I guess I don't understand the logic. The m97 does not have a disconnector. Hold the trigger down and pump away. So why remove a safety device for speed.
When I mentioned the slide lock was not working, the club CAS director said "those things cause a lot of drag."

Offline Cave Creek Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
I've not heard of Kuandian, but would suggest contacting Coyote Cap.

Stay away from Coyote Cap,, he will only steal your money

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
Ya know, they say that even a blind ahof find an scorn one in a while.

Went to the club Saturday to help out with our annual youth day shoot. The director of the CAS group came to me and said: "Hey, got got the parts for that shotgun you stole at the last meet." and he handed me a small package with a action slide lock spring and screw inside. He was referring to the Kunidian 1897 I bought at our last meet.
Got them home and they fit great!!!

I had given up trying to find the screw. I was to the point where I was going to use Loctite form a thread!

So now I have a safe short barrel 1897. 18 inches of course.

Hurray!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com