Author Topic: uberti '73 rear site  (Read 3312 times)

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
uberti '73 rear site
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Just bought a Cimarron "73 .45 colt. I notice the rear site has a small screw in it where it is mounted in the dove tail. My question is, does this screw have to be loosened to drift the site for adjustment?  I hope it doesn't cause that is one heck of a small screw. No way i have anything that will fit it. especially when i'm at the range. Thanks joe

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: uberti '73 rear site
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
My 1873 doesn't have that screw, but my new 1876 carbine does.  I didn't try drifting it without loosening the screw, which does pass through into the dovetail.  It looks to me like, if the screw was tight, it would make drifting more difficult.  I had to dig out a set of jeweler's screwdrivers to find one small enough.  Fortunately it loosened easily--it would be hard to put much force on that tiny screw.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Thanks coal creek. I'll have to get me a set of jewelers screw drivers. No way i have any that small in my gun screw driver kit. Might not have to change it anyway, but was wondering about it. I'll have it at the range tomorrow, and soon i'll be putting a marbles tang site on it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:39:31 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
Yes, the screw is there to help lock the sight in place and needs to be loosened.  It bears on the bottom of the dovetail.  Driving it out without loosening may be difficult and damage the sight when you are trying to drive it out and will put a groove in the bottom of the dovetail.  Yes it is a small screw.  Go to any hardware store and you can buy one for a couple of bucks.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
If you loosen the screw you can normally move it with your hand no need to drift it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll most likely be removing it anyways, cause i'm going to get a tang site, and it will be in the way.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
PILING ON!!  PLUS ONE TO Pettifogger

Coffinmaker

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
shot the gun today. Shot a little to the right at 50 yds. But that could be all me i'm not the greatest shot. It just seems redundant to have a screw holding the sight in as well as the dove tail. and one that small. Most people don't carry that small of a screw driver with them to the range. I usually have a wooded dowel in my range bag that i use when i'm at the range to adjust sights. When i got home i did loosen the screw, but the sight still needed to be tapped to move it. I do like the sight i just like peeps better.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
Most Uberti 73 front sights also have a screw in them as did original Winchesters.  I guess they figured that it is more likely someone has a screwdriver that they will have a hammer and drift with them.  I'm use to working with screws of all sizes.  The screw in the Uberti rear sight really isn't all that small.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
Gunplumbers is always screwing around.  Betcha.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com