Author Topic: which caliber for open top  (Read 16264 times)

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
which caliber for open top
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
     I want to get a Cimarron 1872 Navy open top. I'm not interested in 45 Colt. I'm trying to decide between 38Colt/special and 44 colt/Russian. I don't compete, just shoot for fun.

The 38 appeals to me because of cheaper ammo. The 44 appeals to me because it's closer to the original caliber and I've heard that it doesn't have the problem of lining up the ejector. I'm leaning toward the 38.

Which is more popular with shooters on this site? Are there any pros or cons other than those I mentioned?

Thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: which caliber for open top
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Say Now, Funny you should ask .............

I'm a personal fan of the 1871/72 Open Top.  It will need some work as soon as you get it, but that's a different story.  I think perhaps the majority around this place probably lean to the .44 or .. not.  38 is pretty popular too.  38 is really versatile.  The 44 is more versatile.  Were it to be MY gun, it'd be a 44 and I'd shoot it with 44 Russians and 160Gr bullets.  Super fun.  At's my opine and I'm sticking to it  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
     I already picked up a pack of 5mm split washers. I'll wait and see on the other issues.  I've been reading up on the open tops here.

Griffith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:01:03 PM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
.44 Colt and 200 grainers!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
what the others are say'n'  .....44 Colt/Russian
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
Mine is a .44 and I shoot the .44 Colt cartridge.   Do you handload? Once you have the components and dies, there won't be a lot of price difference.  If you have to buy your ammo, though, I suspect that the. 38 would be more economical. My two .44 Colt revolvers are a joy to shoot. I had my Open Top out yesterday and reduced the tin can population on my ranch.

C C Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
     No, I don't reload, but I may go with the 44 Russian.  It's no more expensive than  the 45 Colt or 45 Schofield for my Schofield (assuming I get to shoot it someday). 

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Another vote for the .44.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »
I'll vote for the 44. I have my OT in 44 Spec./Army frame. Started out shooting smokeless in 44 Spec and reloaded/shot 44 Colt with approx. 25.0 grains of FFF, but then switched to FF, more harmonious outcome. Use a 200 grain Mav Dutchman.  Don't shoot smokeless in it anymore, but did have fine outcome with Titegroup and 231. The 44 Colt rounds are accurate and pleasant to shoot. See no reason to go to the 44 Russian round, nothing to gain IMO. I do have a Richards/Mason 1860 Army frame model with a 5.5" barrel chambered in 38 Spec., like the bigger grip of the Army frame. Use Snakebite bullets, fired by FFF. Nice shooting caliber, but my heart is with the 44.

Added 02/20: Had good luck with Trail Boss powder also.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
     Is there any advantage to the 44 colt over 44 Russian? I don't reload and will be using smokeless. The Russian seems to be a little easier to find and slightly cheaper.

Griffith

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
WHAT!!??  SMOKELESS???  (=GASP)  SACRILEGE!!  True Powder only!!  Nah.  Smokeless works fine.  I preferred Tightgroup.  Good stuff.
If your shooting reduced loads, the Russian case is more efficient.  Slightly reduced case volume for better burn efficiency.  Once you have a reasonable supply of cases (500) cost is no longer a factor.  Same bullets, etc., etc., etc.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »
Mine are marked 44 Colt but they shoot 44 Special just fine.

They are A LOT of fun to shoot.

Had I not read about the prpblem the 45 Colt open tops had I'd have bought that caliber. But I'm liking the 44 Colt much better anyway as I pair them with my 1860 Henry just to be different.

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
I finally obtained a 44 open top M1872 colt replica. I have owned a 38 same model, and have no complaints with either. My preference is towards the .44 open top shot in any of the 3 available 44 cartridges. 44 Russian is my favorite. Reloaded with TB powder it is a sweet shooter.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
What Coffinmaker said. Starline is one of the few if not the only source of 44 Colt, although I believe I've seen a few online reloading merchants selling it. In my area (North and Central Iowa/Southern Minnesota) at gun shows I've seen it some, 44 Russian a bit more. As CM said, for reduced smokeless loads, the Russian case would be better, using black you'd fill both cases near the top for needed compression. When I shot the 44 Spec loads using smokeless, the loads needed to be fairly moderate, no more than 800-900 fps as you can't run the open top style Colts very heavy. They won't take higher pressure and fps 44 Special loadings as you could load and/or shoot in top frame modern made Colt, Colt style, or Ruger single actions and double action revolvers. I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk for shooting those.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:31 AM »
     Well, you've all convinced me to go with 44 Colt/Russian.

Thanks,
                                          Griffith

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
Mine are marked 44 Colt but they shoot 44 Special just fine.

I've posted this before, but Cimarron used to sell their 44 Spec calibered Open Tops and such marked 44 Colt. When I bought my 44 Spec OT in 08 I was told this by a Cimm rep before I bought the gun. Was told this was done because some buyers/shooters didn't want a 1800 era firearm marked with a caliber that didn't come around until after 1900. Go figure, would shoot a post 1900 caliber, but didn't want to appear to be doing so. Anyway in 09 when I bought my Richards II, Cimarron told me that this policy was no longer used and all guns were marked as to what they were calibered in.

Griffith, if you go with the 44, you will be happy with it. Nothing wrong with going in 38, but the 44 in Russ or Colt caliber isn't an angry Dirty Harry lion waiting to bite ya. More like a toothless Ol Tom Cat that will purr when ya shoot em. Some people who aren't  into shooting when I show/tell them about my 44 Colts have envisions of what they've heard about the 44 Magnum and think of it being a hand held howitzer.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
.44 Colt (aka Long Colt) I shoot 200 grain Big Lubes over as much 3F as I can get in there.  They go "Boom" and it is a hoot. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Gonna have to agree with everyone else: .44 Special/Colt/Russian (I like 200 grain .44 Colt over 25 or grains of 2F BP). Though the .38 is perfectly respectable and a joy to shoot too.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Back Roads

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Making Smoke The Old Way
  • NCOWS #: 3724
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
I own both, one .38 and one .44. I purchased the first one in 38 Spl. a while back. Really like it. Shoots great with a 150 grain pill with a case full of real gun powder.  My son bought a used OT in .44 Colt with 4 3/4 inch tube a few months ago. I liked the caliber so well that I purchased a new Cimarron OT .44 Spl. with a 7 1/2 barrel. Shooting the Mav Dutchman in a .44 Colt case with gun powder is lots fun. Go with whatever you like. I think you'll enjoy either one.

Back Roads
NRA Life
Shooter of BP, STORM #430
NCOWS, Alabama Bushwhackers
Alabama Gun Collector's Assn. Life

Offline Malamute

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »
 I have a couple questions about the 44 cal guns, perhaps a new thread would be in order, or it may fit here. Does Uberti make a 44 open top that does NOT accept 44 spl cases? Id be happy with a true 44 Russian chamber, all my dies and such would work, and the loads could be fired in my other 44 spl and mag guns if desired, but,...I have some Keith and other higher than the old factory level loads I use in a Smith 24 (think virtually all my 44 spl loads are slightly to very much above the original levels), and don't want it possible to even chamber 44 spl loads in the open top.

Not crazy about a gun marked 44 Colt, as it really isn't the original version and could cause confusion with inheriting family etc if/when I'm croaked and gone.

So, am I dreaming of the impossible, a true 44 Russian chambered open top?

Edit: Since I'm dreaming, is it possible to get a gun with steel Navy size grip frame? Not a fan of either brass grips straps or the 1860 grips.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com