Author Topic: Chiappa Cavalry Sharps .45-70 Rear Ladder Sight Replacement  (Read 10660 times)

1961MJS

Chiappa Cavalry Sharps .45-70 Rear Ladder Sight Replacement
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
Hi

I have a Chiappa Cavalry Sharps in .45-70.  The Rear Ladder sight slide doesn't stay put.  I attempted to squeeze the slider, but its so big that its still loose.  I'm pretty sure I'd break it if I do anything else to it.  The attached picture is the current sight.  C. Sharps Arms sells full buckhorn sights on their sight.  Will those fit a Chiappa Cavalry Sharps

The Smith Enterprises sights appear to be a great idea, but they're set "backwards" with the dovetail towards the muzzle instead of toward the breech.  Everyone is out of them anyway.

Thanks

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Chiappa Cavalry Sharps .45-70 Rear Ladder Sight Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Try looking at the back of the slide. With the staff standing there are small tabs on each side, that can be bent down to drag on the staff.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

1961MJS

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:29 PM »
Hi Kent

That's what Pitspitr said to do, and I tried it.  It helped at the top and bottom of the slide, but not the middle 50%.  I'm ordering another set from VTI (Numrich Arms).  I'm pretty sure I'll break the tabs off.  Right now they're still at about parallel to the slide.  How much can they be bent (roughly)?

Thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:44:16 PM »

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
The staff of to many replicas are cast and used as is. There in lays the problem. What I find is I've needed to take these sights apart and file or sand the staff till it is of an even thickness then fit the slide. Shilohs took the lease work if any, some of the poorer imports even use a spring and screw to over come poor machine work. Try working with what you have befor ordering more import parts.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »
Another victim of the "Cheap Sharps Club" .....

I've got six Shilohs, four of them .50s - two '63s and two '74s; a carbine and Military Rifle in each configuration. All have the Lawrence ladder sights which I find quite acceptable out to 200m.

We shoot a 'Mini-Quigley' at our annual CAS event which requires 3 off hand shots at 100m, targets being 28 oz. tomato cans filled with water. I've won it with my 50-70 carbine, hitting three in a row.

I bought a Ped 'Silhouette Model' last year, and after close examination, put it back in the box for a refund and ordered a No. 1 Shiloh.
Like all things in life, you get what you pay for.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

1961MJS

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »
The staff of to many replicas are cast and used as is. There in lays the problem. What I find is I've needed to take these sights apart and file or sand the staff till it is of an even thickness then fit the slide. Shilohs took the lease work if any, some of the poorer imports even use a spring and screw to over come poor machine work. Try working with what you have befor ordering more import parts.

Hi Kent

So, I agree that the whole sight would work better if the staff were even.  The problem is that its already too small.  I wonder if I could heat the slide so it's soft, tighten it, then re-temper it?  If I thought that would work, I'd go ahead and sand the sight.  

I'm also tempted to call Taylor's and see if they would be willing to look for a tighter sight.

Thanks for your help Kent

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
You could get one of the sights from C Sharps, they have a positive detent at every mark. Most likely would fit, without even having to change the base. Problem is they only come in full buckhorn, and that's going to look out of place on your carbine, unless you dehorned the sight.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

1961MJS

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »
Hi

I worked up my load for the Cavalry Sharps and FINALLY noted that the ladder was slapping from end to end.  I searched a little longer and found that Dixie Gun Works sells a EP0334 Rear Sight - Sporting Style For M1859-63 Sharps & 1874 Sharps (Old Reliable).  It fit fine and hasn't come loose.  I have it sighted in left to right, but the vertical is in need of work.  With the rear sight folder down, I'm shooting 10 inches low at 25 and 50 yards, with the ladder vertical, I'm shooting 3 inches high at 50 yards and 2 inches low at 75 yards. 

At what range should my sight be dead on?  I'm going to order another front sight from Chiappa and then file down the one that's on the gun now.

Thanks

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:58 PM »
At what range do you want it to be dead on? File the front sight down to bring the poi up to where you want it with the sight folded down.

1961MJS

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:04 AM »
Hi

Let me ask that another way.  I'm shooting this in GAR competitions and that's probably all.  5 yards to 300 yards.  Any opinion on what a good range to zero the rifle at?

Thanks again

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:33:13 AM »
 Better start with you sight up and set for 300 yd, file your front sight to poi, then hopefully the rest pretty much fall in line, if they cast that sight half close to where it should be.
 5 yds? with a 45-70 :o Wear your flack jacket, and steel toed boots. ::)

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
I'm assuming you mean GAF.  At the National Muster, our rifle targets are generally set at fifteen yards on out, and the long range portion is fired at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  I'd suggest sighting it for 35 to 50 yards, and then figuring out your settings for the long range portions.  It works well for me, anyway.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

1961MJS

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
I'm assuming you mean GAF.  At the National Muster, our rifle targets are generally set at fifteen yards on out, and the long range portion is fired at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  I'd suggest sighting it for 35 to 50 yards, and then figuring out your settings for the long range portions.  It works well for me, anyway.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  I think I have some pretty serious filing to do.  The sight I bought from DGW is for a MUCH longer barrel.  Yep, GAF, missed by a row.  See ya Thursday probably.

Later

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
Looking forward to it!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
When I am shooting a timed event at varying distances with a battle rifle I try and sight in at 200. You're good at any range under, and hold for the top of the target at 300. Shooting at the Figure 11 target which had a camo pattern, we learned to hold on a specific patch of black. The battle-sight for the FN was set at 200.

I do the same with my NWMP carbine in .45-75, but the bullet will strike higher at ranges shorter than 200,(about 1 foot higher at 100) but close enough to get on a "gong". At 300 the drop from the 200 setting is about 3 feet, which is close enough to hold at the top or just above the target. My sights came from the factory bang-on the stated ranges if I hold a very fine grain of black rice in that wide V back sight. Your cavalry carbine should be about the same. The point is to have a standard sight setting and know your holds.

When at a muzzle loading match. I sight and cut my sights for a 6 o'clock hold on a 2 inch bull at 25 yards. It will do the same at 50 yards on a 3 inch bull. At 75 yards the ball strikes bang-on and drops only 6 inches at 100. Practice a lot at varied ranges and filed-in iron sights can be deadly. Trail walk targets can be from 5-7 yards out to well over 100.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
check back with c. sharps. my understanding is that their sight is machined-not cast. i bought a cast shiloh and was not happy with it.
kw

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 01:42:31 PM »
So, I shot decently with the sights at the muster, not great, but decent.  I took someone out shooting with the gun, not sure how this happened, but both the screws on the sight are broken off.  Sight is still square from what I can tell, but its Gunsmith time on the screw in the barrel.  Hopefully I can get better screws.  I was close enough around to know it wasn't dropped.  I'm strongly considering ordering the C Sharps sight anyway. 

I'd get a C. Sharps Carbine, but this is for GAF, not BPCR Silhouette.  Not worth the money at this point.

More later, lots of fun so far.   ;D

Later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com