Author Topic: cimarron 1851 richards-mason .38 sp  (Read 1897 times)

Offline mikeurbas

• sherrif mikspencer
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
cimarron 1851 richards-mason .38 sp
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »
I recently bought new a Cimarron r-m conversion. in dry firing with snap caps it is developing a ring approx. 3/16" long next to each cylinder bolt notch. how can I correct this, and what is its cause? thanks for any and all help! ???

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: cimarron 1851 richards-mason .38 sp
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
Sounds like the timing may be off by a fair amount (bolt popping up very early).  If that is the case, you may need to find a gunsmith or send it back for warranty repair.  You do know not to lower the hammer from the half-cock position, right?

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
I had the same problems with two different Uberti's. One a Open Top had the bolt popping up to early, peening the cylinder in front of the lead. It was caused by the bolt having to short of a leg, coming off the cam to early. I installed the bolt from a cousin to the OpenTop, a Uberti Richards II. Everything worked as it should have. Called Cimarron and they sent me a new bolt which after slicking it up and checking the timing, all was well. The 2nd one, a Richards/Mason, had the bolt peening the front side of the lead (towards the barrel. Had to do some filing and stone the bolt to shape. Also I adjusted the bolt spring to lessen the tension on it so it wouldn't have as much force on pushing the bolt up through the frame bolt window for the bolt to contact the cylinder. The arbor fit will need to be checked and attended to as well.

Both problems are posted in the 'Gunsmithing' section of this forum. The R/M is on page one, not sure what page the Open Top is on, although I never fully addressed the final outcome as I should have. Thought about doing that several times, should do it in case someone else needs the same Rx to their revolver. Maybe some of the 'House' smiths will chime in on your post and give ya a few pointers. It's frustrating when you pay the $$$ Uberti gets for them and have the problems associated with them. My Richards II has been a problem free child. I have a number of Uberti percussion revolvers and have never had the timing problems I've had with those two cartridge guns.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:18:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com