Author Topic: New 1897 from Cimarron?  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New 1897 from Cimarron?
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
Howdy all,

According to the Cimarron Firearms facebook page, they'll  be releasing a new 1897 soon. Anyone know anymore details on these?
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: New 1897 from Cimarron?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:50:54 PM »
I think they are made by the same company (formerly TTN) making the 1878 hammered shotguns.  The first batch from them was some years ago and had some issues.  This is a new batch, so hopefully better.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:35 AM »
The email said they had a heat shield. I would guess this could be removed if one wished to use it without the heat shield ?

MD

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:45:16 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
An 1897 with a "Heat Shield" is a "Trench Gun."  That configuration is not acceptable for CAS/SASS.  It is quite acceptable for Wild Bunch.  If it is a good copy of the 97 heat shield, it is easily removable and the gun will run just fine without it.

Coffinmaker

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
The email said they had a heat shield. I would guess this could be removed if one wished to use it without the heat shield ?

MD

If they don't get the barrel dimensions sorted out (as was the case with the early Norinco trench guns) the heatshield will most likely remove itself. 
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
If you want to sell a heat shield, I'd be inclined to buy it

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
Just got a notice that the new 1897 do not have heat shields.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Cimarron brought a few to Winter Range and no heatshield on those either, so I asked Joe (A.D. Texaz) and he said none of them have the heatshield, so the original email was mistaken.  I had heard some talk at Shotshow about heatshields, so I guess someone got confused.

Last Saturday at a match a guy had one of the new ones.  He said it was a little stiff at first but after running a box of shells through it, it felt pretty good.

Oh yeah, Jake C was asking for any details on these.  I can tell you some of the unique features.  It has a rather thick black rubber buttpad.  It is comfortable (to me) but kind of dorky looking.  The bore is chrome lined, and it has one choke tube in it ( IC I think) which is TruChoke type.  And the screws are supposed to be like originals, not metric.  My older one held 6 AA's in the tube, which was good for Wild Bunch.

I have one of the older ones, which I hand-picked from a scratch'n'dent group (minor blemish in the blueing).  I haven't used it much, one CAS match and a few wild bunch, and it has been fine.   I guess the jury is still out on how the new ones hold up.  I haven't heard anything bad yet but they haven't been out very long.

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »
I can;t find the email I got but they said the heat shields would be out later this year.

I can't see why anything Cimarron markets would have a problem.   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »
...I can't see why anything Cimarron markets would have a problem.   

Well, even though I do some work for them I'll have to say that they don't import or sell lemons on purpose, but... sometimes things don't turn out as well as you wish.  The turkish single trigger shotguns from 5-10 years ago were okay but very poorly suited for CAS.  The little cobra derringers were cheap guns, as were the Plinkerton .22's, and the Cobra big bore derringer designed to compete with the Bond was, uh, not a winner.  Occasionally the first models of new designs have issues that have to be worked out as well.  And finally, the manufacturers do make mistakes, which you try to catch but some of them are not apparent and slip through.  In other words, nobody's perfect  :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »
Suggestion.  Skip the '97.  Go for the 1878.  Bullet Proof.  Really Cowboy.

Coffinmaker

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
Suggestion.  Skip the '97.  Go for the 1878.  Bullet Proof.  Really Cowboy.

Coffinmaker

I plan on going for the good 'ol double barrel. It's the aesthetics and mechanical simplicity that I prefer. I was just curious about the new '97.

BTW, thanks for the responses all!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »
I stumbled across a small gunshop here in WV that had three 93/97 hybrids for $300 each. Temptation got the better of me and I brought one home. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet but the action feels pretty stiff and the finish does not appear to be as nice as on the old Norinco '97's. It does have a pretty black walnut stock.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
And ........ TA DA ........ you can't use it in CAS.  Been Poo Pooi'd.  Can only use it in Wild Bunch.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com