Author Topic: How do you get the stud/cylinder latch back on?  (Read 9786 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How do you get the stud/cylinder latch back on?
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
I took the screw out, the spring that snaps the stud back intobpkace let go and iboulled it off to clean.  Now i cant get it back on and attach to the little spring end.  Do i actually have to gut this gun and take the soring out to get this one little latch back on?  I slide the latch back on but it wont quite go completely on and gran that little spring tip with that notch so i can out tge screw peg back in

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: How do you get the stud/cylinder latch back on?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
Given that there are a large number of weapons this question could apply to - what particular one are you talking about?

Typically, you insert the small projection into the coil and pull down with your thumbnails - thus 'assisting' said coil to open slightly to snap over.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
Given that there are a large number of weapons this question could apply to - what particular one are you talking about?

Typically, you insert the small projection into the coil and pull down with your thumbnails - thus 'assisting' said coil to open slightly to snap over.

Scouts Out!

Im talking about the thumb latch on tge schofield that allows you to breakbopen tge gun.

I unscrewed it and removed to clean and now i cant get it all the way on.  The spring tip that cuses it to snap in pkace when openibg and clisinh tge top break is not able to snap back into place.

Im cursing this gun because i cant even get the plate off to get inside because some genius at uberti used liocktite.  All i wanted was to shoot and clean this gun and its turned into a pain in the butt

EDIT:  on cliser examination, the plate should not need to be removed because the latch must be off anyway to temove it in the first place.  So there MUST be a way to get the spring reengaged with the latch outside of. removing plate.   I just dont want to firce anythibg too hard for fear of breaking something

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:01:29 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
It has been a while since I did it, but it was a pain.  As I recall, I reached in with a small flat screwdriver and compressed the leaf spring slightly, then rocked the blade to the side to get the small nub on the end to fit into the equally small notch in the latch.  Staging the spring where it goes, but slightly away from the right side of the gun allowed everything to be approximately I the right place prior to compressing the spring.  By the time I was done, I had a big pile of hair from pulling it out.

I know that you're frustrated, but slow down and think it through.  You'll get it put back together.  Slowing down when you type your questions would help us answer them too--you have so many typos that it's hard to understand sometimes.  Just a suggestion.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
Now it makes more sense...

Coal Creek Griff's description is what works - it requires good light, a small screwdriver, patience and a bit of finesse, but it'll go on, no worries.

Scouts Out!

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:34:23 PM »
It has been a while since I did it, but it was a pain.  As I recall, I reached in with a small flat screwdriver and compressed the leaf spring slightly, then rocked the blade to the side to get the small nub on the end to fit into the equally small notch in the latch.  Staging the spring where it goes, but slightly away from the right side of the gun allowed everything to be approximately I the right place prior to compressing the spring.  By the time I was done, I had a big pile of hair from pulling it out.

I know that you're frustrated, but slow down and think it through.  You'll get it put back together.  Slowing down when you type your questions would help us answer them too--you have so many typos that it's hard to understand sometimes.  Just a suggestion.

CC Griff

I apologize for the typos.  Im trying to type on a iphone touch screen and i turned the autocorrect off.  Very sensitive

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
Now it makes more sense...

Coal Creek Griff's description is what works - it requires good light, a small screwdriver, patience and a bit of finesse, but it'll go on, no worries.

Scouts Out!

I'll say this:  once i get it back on:  I'M NEVER TAKING THE DAMN THING OFF AGAIN

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »
I'll say this:  once i get it back on:  I'M NEVER TAKING THE DAMN THING OFF AGAIN

That's always an option.  Another option is to immediately do it again a few times until you're comfortable with it.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
When you have a difficult project and become frustrated with it put it down and come back to it AFTER you have cooled off. It will usually be much easier.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
The Schofield Smiths I have owned do not require the latch system to be removed to get the side plate off. I loosen the latch screw a "bit" just to make sure the side plate will pop off. But I always remove the grips and use a screw driver to help push the side plate off from the inside. (I will then clean up the inside edges of the side plate with a very fine small file before reinstalling).
There is a madness to this method of getting into the internals of a Smith & Wesson revolver. I would suggest to work from the outside towards the inside.
I hope this info helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »
It lookslike the spring has been pushed back slightly.  If i could scoot it back out a little and depress it just enough to grab the notch in the latch it would do it.  Problems are, i need 1 hand to hold the gun, 1 hand to insert a pin or scewdriver head, 1 hand to do the rock the latch and 1 hand to hold the light to see.   Also I cock the gun to expose the spring on the inside but i can't find a place to depress or take hold of it

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
As I recall, I leave the spring slightly away from the right side of the gun so that I can press down on it with the small screwdriver, then rock the screwdriver to the side so that I'm pressing down and to the right to engage it with the latch.  I do reach through the opening with the hammer all the way to the rear.

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
I can help/suggest with one of the hands you need.... maybe two  :-\

I think I got mine on Amazon , but Harbor Freight , and maybe Northern Tools has them... @ $20 & invaluable for future use.
Swivels so you get all kinds angles & the Vacuum base will lock solid to your Kitchen table.

as far as the Light goes,  one of these or any similar flex-light LED, mine is a long flex bore light  ....beats a 60 watt ceiling light...

lastly a dollop of clear silicone grease (not RTV !) or Vaseline ( Grease has better viscosity though ) will hold tiny parts together
as fumble finger deterrent....won't hurt  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
I'll say this:  once i get it back on:  I'M NEVER TAKING THE DAMN THING OFF AGAIN
That's kinda how I felt about it after I worked on mine once too.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
This will be no help.  However, the first couple of times I worked on Schofields, I harbored fond thoughts of my trash can.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Almost as fond as m thoughts of a large Ball Peen Hammer  ;D

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
Can yall imagine a cowboy or trooper on the plains or high country having this problem?   He'd be screwed

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
No, he wouldn't.

He would never have stripped the piece that far in the first place were he a cowboy, and Army Regulations would have prohibited him from doing so unless under supervision of a qualified Non-Com - and units of that era didn't have 'Unit Armorers'.

Detail-stripping is something that obsesses modern folks - but general firearms maintenance of the era - past scrubbing the bore and charge holes free of powder residue - was to add oil and wipe off.

Scouts Out!

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
No, he wouldn't.

He would never have stripped the piece that far in the first place were he a cowboy, and Army Regulations would have prohibited him from doing so unless under supervision of a qualified Non-Com - and units of that era didn't have 'Unit Armorers'.

Detail-stripping is something that obsesses modern folks - but general firearms maintenance of the era - past scrubbing the bore and charge holes free of powder residue - was to add oil and wipe off.

Scouts Out!

Well, if you use the gun in battle, you cant wait 3 weeks until you get back to Fort Lanchaster to clean that black powder.   It gets in everything.   youve got to clean it pretty quick

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
Well, stopped by a hardware store and got a small package of what looks like the thing dentists use to scrape teeth with.  Have curved pointed tips.   Did the trick.  The latch is on

I know its not very old west church but as soon as i felt it all in place:  

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
Good.  That's a relief.   Thanks for the update.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com