Author Topic: Shot Black Powder Sub (American Pioneer) for first time in Uberti Schofield M3  (Read 7774 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Was kind of disappointed.  200 gr LSWC speer .45 bullets with 23 gr of American Pioneer FFFG behind it in a .45 colt shell. Before i even finished the first cylinder full I could start to feel some resistance in the action at round 4.   By the time i ejected and loaded another cylinder i couldnt even cock it unless i forced the cylinder turn with my hand.  After spinning it back and forth a lot it would ahoot and cock another two rounds before binding up again.

I knew this wod build up as it does with my new vaquero after about a dozen rounds.  But that was awful quick after only 3 rounds.  Shooting and loading blackpowder subs is fun.  Anything i can do to correct this?   What did our ancestors do about this?  Did they have this same problem with actual black powder?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
The Uberti Schofield is not ......... a Schofield.  The design of the original at the cylinder face is quite a bit different than the Uberti reproduction.  The original did not have the same problem.

The solution.  Don't run it with BP or Subs.  I know that isn't what you want to hear.  However ...........

Coffinmaker

PS:  If you scroll down this board to the thread about shooting the Schofield by Slow Hand Bob, there is a great set of photos from Driftwood Johnson that will tell the tale for ya

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Also with APP or Black MZ do not use lube on the bullets or in the chamber or bbl. The barrel and chamber(s) should be wiped dry before shooting.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Doug
I have a Uberti/Cimarron that would do this when new even with smokeless powder. In it's case there wasn't enough clearance between the cylinder and the bottom frame. You might check that too.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Doug
I have a Uberti/Cimarron that would do this when new even with smokeless powder. In it's case there wasn't enough clearance between the cylinder and the bottom frame. You might check that too.

My schofield had this problem for a long time withsmokeless.  Even when i sent it back to uberti the first time.  They finally judt replaced the gun and its fine now for smokeless

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I know im probably asking something thats been asked before:  can the cylinder face be modified with a gas ring or a washer?

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
You're right it has been done/asked before. Somewhere in here there's a thread that had pictures and everything

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
You're right it has been done/asked before. Somewhere in here there's a thread that had pictures and everything

Driftwood Johnson   :-\  maybe ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Driftwood Johnson   :-\  maybe ?
Yeah, I think you're right.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
This is probably anathema to most of the folks on the board, but I have found a small can of spray lube after the first several cylinders worth of B.P. rounds will free it up for a little bit.  That's not an option for CAS meets, I expect, but if one is just shooting for fun or for demonstration purposes, it will get you by.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Even though I don't particularly care for the stuff, since my embracing of the Dark Side, I have found a small spray can of (gasp) Ballistol to be most helpful.  I keep it in my Gun Kart.  Understand, I pull the barrel and cylinder (Cap Guns) every stage to load (Shameless plug for DDD's fabulous "Tower of Power") and wipe down the cylinder face and barrel breach, then a quick spritz of Ballistol on the rifle carrier block does wonders.  I also have a Patch on a brass 12Ga bore brush I dampen with Ballistol to de-Goo the chambers between stages.

Having the spray can of Ballistol may help the Schofield.  I kind of doubt it.  The Uberti reproduction will foul out in as little as two or three rounds.

There is a very well done explanation on the Schofield problem and "WHY???" BY DRIFTWOOD JOHNSON, just scroll down the main forum to the thread started by Slow Hand Bob.  Driftwood attached some nice glossy's to illustrate.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Even though I don't particularly care for the stuff, since my embracing of the Dark Side, I have found a small spray can of (gasp) Ballistol to be most helpful.  I keep it in my Gun Kart.  Understand, I pull the barrel and cylinder (Cap Guns) every stage to load (Shameless plug for DDD's fabulous "Tower of Power") and wipe down the cylinder face and barrel breach, then a quick spritz of Ballistol on the rifle carrier block does wonders.  I also have a Patch on a brass 12Ga bore brush I dampen with Ballistol to de-Goo the chambers between stages.

Having the spray can of Ballistol may help the Schofield.  I kind of doubt it.  The Uberti reproduction will foul out in as little as two or three rounds.

There is a very well done explanation on the Schofield problem and "WHY???" BY DRIFTWOOD JOHNSON, just scroll down the main forum to the thread started by Slow Hand Bob.  Driftwood attached some nice glossy's to illustrate.

Coffinmaker

I saw that thread and the photos attached.   I'm just wish there was a way to modify or lengthen the gas collar on the Uberti whether it's with something crude like a few washers or with crafted gunsmith ingenuity.  Not a whole lot of room to work there, but if you could just completely cover the cylinder pin...in that exposed area at the very end.  Maybe a washer as thin as a piece of tissue paper

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well, there is.  How deep are your pockets??

First is to turn the collar off the OEM Cylinder.  Then mill out and area in the back of the barrel lug for a new collar.  Sufficiently deep to keep the fouling away from the cylinder pin.
Then:  Mill a recess in the front of the cylinder to accept the new collar.  Make and fit the new collar.  ALLA KA ZOTT!! and PRESTO!!  an Uberti Schofield that runs BP. 
Pull the pictures of the Uberti cylinder and the ASM cylinder with collar and scrounge up a really good gunsmith or machinist.  Take the photographs, The Cylinder and Barrel assembly to said Gunsmith/Machinist.  DO NOT forget your CHECKBOOK!!

Coffinmaker

Suggest you contact Ron Snover.  AKA: The Ottaway Smith in TN.  Knows his way around the Schofield.  You'll need that Checkbook.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
WellI foubd something of a solution.   Oil the inside of the cylnder frame real good before shooting.  I 5 shots in a cylinder off (leaving one chamber empty), eject and another 4 rounds before i started really noticing reaistance.  About 9 shots.  And about the 10th or 11th shot i had to turn the cylinder myself.

Then after just spinng the cylinder after ejecting a few times it would become loose a lot quicker and would last about 3 or 4 rounds before I started getting resistance.

Not perfect but much better.  Oil goes a long way.  I used Break Free and Hobbes to keep the cylinder oiled

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Guy waits for 2 hours to see his Doctor.  Finally gets called out of the waiting room .............

Doctor asks .... what's wrong??  Guy tries to raise his left arm and says "It really hurts when I do this!!"

Doctor looks thoughtful, then answers, well ...... don't do that!!

No point in hitting your thumb repeatedly with a mallet.  Same same ..... trying to shoot BP in an Un-Modified Uberti Schofield Reproduction. 

Think I said something similar to that earlier??

Coffinmaker

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Thge only time I tried to shoot BP from a .45 Uberti Schofield was about 1999 at a Faultline Shootist Society annual match at the Swiss Rifle Club south of Salinas, CA.  It was in the middle of nowhere.  I shot one stage, and barley got it to turn on the 5th round.  Poured canteen water on it between stages, rotating the cylinder.  2nd stage had to turn the last two rounds by hand.  After that, cleaned it EVERY stage, and gooped it up with SPG in the arbor and cylinder face.  Struggled through the match.  Sold that Schofield after the match, though I kept a 44-40 that I never tried BP in.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com