Author Topic: Pair of '51's came home today  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pair of '51's came home today
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
Just picked up a brace of Pietta '51s, via EMF, in .44 cal today.

This brings me up to four pairs, and one Walker in C&B's......slowly catching up to Hellgate.

God forgives, I don't........

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Pair of '51's came home today
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
I love those guns. I kick myself for selling mine. I had a Texan tell me they were a great "barbeque gun". When I asked what he meant he said a lot of Texans carry shiny fancy little guns to show off at barbeques and those would be a great example. If I ever find a nother good deal on one I'll get it. I carried mine as a coup de gras gun for deer hunting.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »
Should you ever care to part with them, they would fill my holsters just fine. . .

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:23 AM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »
Congrats on obtaining a nice brace of Barbecue guns.  Wish they'd make them in .36 again.  But the .44s are fun to shoot.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
Cemetery,

Before your do anything else with your Brandy New Piettas, Take em apart and fit the bolt to the cylinder notches.  The bolt will be either very tight, or just oversize.

Coffinmaker

PS:  That particular '51 from Pietta is probably the best made Cap Gun currently available.  Still needs set-up though.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Looks good, Cemetery! I didn't know these were still available. Good luck with them. I'm glad you recovered your senses, moral and spiritual well being after your recent "experience" with smokeless powder. :o
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »
Should you want to go to cartridges, Kirst makes a fine cylinder for your new guns.  I'd go either way depending on my mood of the moment.  The short Cowboy 45 Special would be a good fit.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
DDD,

For one of my pair of Pietta '51 .44 high polish Marshals, I'm running stainless R&D type conversion cylinders.  From 3 feet out, still look like Cap Guns.

And yer RIGHT!!  The Cowboy 45 Special case with 160Gr bullets is just the trix.  I also have a modicum of the last "Barnstormers" developed by Adirondack Jack.  130Gr Hollow Base.  Absolutely the Beez Kneez.  Of course, Mine have been rebuilt into Snubbies and are super trix.

Your Pal
Smedley

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:35 PM »
Whoa...Conversion Cylinders!! I haven't even met with the tax man yet this year.......

I looked at Kirst, but the ones they have for these 51s, need to be fixed and have the frame modified, and as I don't live in America, I live in NJ, that would be a big no no in these parts.....

.....now drop in's, well more the merrier.  But I didn't see anything for these on the Howell/R&D website.......
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Cemetery,

Well now, Since we have just pried the lid off this can of worms, allow me to expand.  Midway USA is your HUCKLEBERRY!!  Stainless, yep I said STAINLESS R&D TYPE, two piece, drop in (not quite) 5 shot Conversion cylinders for Pietta!!  Absolutely a MUST DO.  Once installed in your Pietta Barbecue guns, from 3 feet out, can't tell em from a percussion cylinder.  Not engraved ..... but ..... WHO CARES.  Instant cartridge conversion that maintains the gun as a percussion gun just by swapping back to the Cap Cylinder.  They may require a little special fitting and timing but are just what the doctor ordered.

Howz about I e-mail ya an 8 X 10 Glossy (not quite but) of your guns with percussion cylinder and with Cartridge cylinder??  Give ya a good compare0??  Can do easy!!

Coffinmaker

PS:  Take yer tax man to lunch.  Make it a good lunch.  After I send ya a Glossy, it'll cost ya some more money  ::) ;D 

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »
Kirst or R&D, there are good drop in cylinders for your're guns.  The C45C ammo is a great way to go with plenty of smoke and flames.  That, and downrange accuracy will not suffer.

I have Kirst cylinders in my 1860 open tops.  These, with C45Spl ammo are my go to SASS cylinders.

Let 'er flicker!

DD-MDA

Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Full Charge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
By using these conversion cylinders doesn't this just add wear to the wedge and arbor, by breaking down the gun every time you need to reload the gun ?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
No.  The Barrel and Arbor, when properly fit are a nice sliding fit that come apart and go back together quite easily.  The wedge is fit a little on the snug side and then will "shoot in" in the first couple of cylinders shooting.  After that, wedge wear is very slow.

My personal guns are set up to load "off the gun" on a cylinder loading stand.  I take them apart every stage shot.  There is no difference in fit of the guns after 4 seasons of at least three matches each month.  Eventually, they will require wedge replacement.  I actually don't know how long that is going to take.  Week or two more anyway  ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
My 1860s have loading gates.  With the gates the brass easily ejects.  Loading is thru those same loading gates.  Since I use C45Spl. brass, my loads don't stress the open top designs.  The cylinder would allow me to use full house 45 Colt ammo.  I won't do that because my open tops would shake loose.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
Beautiful guns WOW. With conversion cylinders they would be more show stoppers than they ae now.
Sliding off thread a bit I think (which always gives me a headache) that the .45 CAS or .45 Short Colt loaded with a 200 grain bullet and 20 or so grains of FFFg comes close tp duplicating the .44 Henry rim fire round.  That load shines in my Uberti 1860 Iron Frame Henry replica. It is a .45 Colt with a Happy Trails modified lifter.  As Coffinmaker would say "works a treat".
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
Cemetery - After you shoot your new Colts your going to put your NMA's on the classified forum.  I bought my pair when they 1st came out and they are the nicest balanced C&B's I own 
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
I have a pair of these '51s with the side gate. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,47588.0.html Pictures are half way down page one.  Shoot well and a load of fun but I have a hankering fer something a bit different.  Currently looking for a pair of Howell 45 cylinders to go into my cut down Ubert  '60 Model "Angels".  My favorite round for these type revolvers is the 45 Cowboy Special with 160 gr bullets.  These will not be a one way conversion since the gate is not cut  I would not consider a one way conversion on my Angel guns, just to much fun as cap and ball shooters but the wedges are at the perfect fit to allow relatively quick breakdown for cylinder removal/replacement.  

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
Nice
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com