Author Topic: Trail Boss in Orginal 1860 Army Conversion  (Read 2996 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trail Boss in Orginal 1860 Army Conversion
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
I have loaded for 35 years, with Black Powder and Smokeless, and I understand the loading of Antique firearms. I have ALWAYS loaded Black Powder in the older guns. I have many Uberti and ASM open tops and now only load Black Powder or Trail Boss in them. I have came into an orginal 1860 Army Type I Conversion in 44 Colt. and know I should only use Black powder in it and a Heel bullet of .451 to .454 and wanted to ask if it would be safe to load 3.1 to 3.7 grs of Trail Boss in the gun. I load 3.7grs Trail Boss in modern 44 Colt Uberti and ASMs and they  are mild and accurate. I am asking as I always think it is better to ask and seem stupid, than to act and prove it.
I would be thankful for any help.
Reno

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Trail Boss in Orginal 1860 Army Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
Just got my answer from from Coffinmaker, NO do not use Trail Boss powder in Antique firearms. I thought that might be the case, just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to ruin a nice old gun, or a 73 year old man.
Thanks Coffinmaker,
Reno

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »
Why would you even consider it. A 'old' 'original' firearm made in the 1800's FOR black powder. That's why so many shotguns made in the 1800's are no more. Shooters fired modern smokeless shotshells in them and blew em up-maybe taking part of them with the shotgun! Same goes for rifles made in yesteryear!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:30 PM »

Offline mehavey

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:27:43 PM »
While Trailboss may be the cat's meow for lower-pressure BP-origin cartridges in modern firearms, it has an exceptionally fast pressure risetime.  Very sharp spike.

Only 4759 has the deliberately-softer pressure rise characteristics of BP.  ...and of course it's not only unsuitable for handguns at low pressures*, but now discontinued.  :-[

* 4759 is surprisingly good for cast bullets in the M1 Carbine....  but that's another story altogether.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
Chow Choker, I have reloaded my own for 35 years, black and smokeless and I knew I should not have asked about Trail Boss, but I could not delete it off the site as it is not allowed. I stated I knew I should not use Trail Boss, I just asked a question, and CoffinMaker was good enough to write me back with his anwser on the question. and I knew well  someone would get their shorts in a knot about smokeless in the older guns, as if no one else knew about smokeless in antiques. I have used black powder many many years and in many antiques in 73 years and would never ruin an old firearm, I just ask a simple and I am sure some think a dumb question. Like they say think before you speak, I didn't.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
I think everybody who answered has already said it, but... Stick to the real stuff.

Or + one. ::)

Edit. @ reno. Soooo. I should have read your last post... But didn't.  :-[
What you wanna do? Sue me?  ;D

PS. One of my family names is the name from where the name reno appeared. It's Reynaud, and its pronounced the same as reno.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
Hey reno, wasn't meaning to insult ya by any means. Didn't really get my shorts in a knot, just couldn't figure out if you've been reloading and shooting for 35 yrs, both black and smokeless, why you would ask the question. Hopefully someone that may be considering it seriously will see this thread and be wiser. Apologize to ya for any misunderstanding. Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
That's okay Crow Choker, I kind of felt later that I had ask the wrong question, but I could not delete my question as it would not let me. I knew I was going catch flak on it, which I guess I should.
Thanks for the reply.
Reno

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Schattered Thumbs, I got that name when I was in the Marine Corps in the 60s it was short for my last name which is Reinholdt.
Thanks for the reply,
Reno

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com