Author Topic: Custer Battlefield  (Read 12899 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Custer Battlefield
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:13:48 AM »
What was the first year the Custer Battlefield was offered?

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Custer Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "offered".  Do you mean when was it first open to the public? If so, I believe it was open to anyone right from day 1.  Certain restrictions were put on when the park service took it over, such as, opening and closing times and areas where one could walk.  Also, it is on Crow land and they may of had some restrictions in the past.

Are we on the same page?
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Sorry, the "Custer Battlefield" is a gun made by USFA. A copy of the original Colt SAA's issued to the 7th Cavalry, only it has an antique finish to make it look old. I was wondering what year these were first offered and if that would put them in the 100% American made timeframe?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:58:05 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
Oh, that Custer Battlefield  :D :D
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Why would you want to buy something purposely made to look worn?

During the era, these revolvers were brand-spankin' new - they got that worn look by being carried and used for decades.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
St George,

The idea is to take a really nice, new, beautifully finished Single Action (insert Name Here), and attack it with abrasives and solvents, to make it appear like it's 130 years old and none of the previous owners took care of it.  Then you drag it around and brag to anyone who will listen, how you made it look just like any other old beat up gun.  Some of those folks will even go "whoa .. real cool."  All in the interest of "style."  I've never actually figured out the "why" nor the perceived "style."

Coffinmaker

PS:  This answer has nothing to contribute to the OP's question.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 01:10:03 AM »
I'm not particularly fond of antique finishes. The reason I would buy one is because they have correct features relating to a 1st Gen Colt and because the 100% American made USFA's are reputed to be very well made. I think it would be easier and cheaper to refinish a Custer than it would be to rework, restamp and then still have to refinish another SAA to make it look more like a 1st Gen. Or I could wait for a Nettleton or Ainsworth but all these models are hard to find and if you see one you have to jump on it.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
St George,

The idea is to take a really nice, new, beautifully finished Single Action (insert Name Here), and attack it with abrasives and solvents, to make it appear like it's 130 years old and none of the previous owners took care of it.  Then you drag it around and brag to anyone who will listen, how you made it look just like any other old beat up gun.  Some of those folks will even go "whoa .. real cool."  All in the interest of "style."  I've never actually figured out the "why" nor the perceived "style."

Coffinmaker

PS:  This answer has nothing to contribute to the OP's question.

You are wise. Congrats.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
So I found online some USFA catalogs and it appears the Custer Battlefield was not offered in 2004 but it was offered in 2005. Anybody know of any reference to the CB prior to 2005? If 2005 is the first year, would that put them well within the 100% American made timeframe?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Not to Pick on You, but research would indicate Cimarron offers a correctly marked Uberti, BP Frame (CCH) 7th Cavalry reproduction.  I fear it would take precious little "re-working."  It would also appear "as issued" rather than "buried in the garden."  Also, at about a quarter the current Tariff for a limited run USFA.  $500 a pop is a lot to pay for a half dozen moving parts??

Be me ..... be perusing Cimarron's offering and saving a gob of folding money.

Coffinmaker

Offline swoobie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
Lonesome Pigeon,

I recently purchased one and mine exhibits all the hallmarks of a USA made USFA - having said that, I have no confirmation and am interested as well.  I can confirm that the hammer and loading gate appear on mine do appear to be the later, USA made configuration.  My serial number is 66xx.  I am also interested to know how many were actually produced. 

One addl note, as the Custer guns were inspected by Ainsworth, I believe they are identical to the Ainsworth guns with the exception of finish and serial number.

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
The problem with the Uberti-made Cimarron CB is that the firing pin is NOT period correct Ist Gen the way the USFA gun is & for me, that makes all the difference. jd45

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
I don't have any helpful information either, just to say: everyone's got something different that floats their boat. For some people, it's disco music. For others, it's kite flying. I have it on good authority that there's a not insignificant number of people who like to dress up like cowboys on the weekends (can you believe it)? Other people like the old-fashioned look but can't afford the real thing.

Pigeon, do what makes you happy, and don't let anyone else make you feel bad about it.  :)

Good luck finding your gun the way you want it!
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »
Swoobie, congrats on getting a Custer!

I posted in another thread that I did get a Custer too. I do believe it is 100% American made and that all Custer's are 100% American made. I can find no reference to Custer's existing prior to 2005, which should put them well within the 100% American made timeframe. The one I have is outstanding in every way. Perfect timing, solid lockup, four loud clicks, no burrs or rough spots anywhere and it shoots right to point of aim just like I wanted. While it's true I would rather have an Ainsworth, which is basically a Custer with a blue/CCH finish, I am finding that the Custer finish grows on me.

One thing I discovered in my research that's interesting is I have seen Custer's both with the two line patent dates and three line patent dates.

Offline saint

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
My Custer Battlefield has the long flute cylinder in it.  Numbers match.  Any idea of how many Custer Battlefield guns made with this variation?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
Speaking of Custer, it was about this time of day, 142 years ago that Custer was fighting for his life and lost.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
I believe that the Cimarron 7th Cavalry made by Pietta in their Frontier caragory do have proper firing pins. You might give them a call to confirm. Good Luck.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 11:43:50 AM »
Like most of those posting on this thread I always thought the fake "aged" finishes were at minimum undesirable and at maximum silly. Then I came across one of the USFA "Gunfighter" models with a black powder frame (a priority for me). Against the better judgement of most here I paid the price an bought it.

If you believe USFA's propaganda on these models they didn't drag them down a dirt road then let them rust. It's their claim this is an applied finish to produce the aged look. On my gun the frame is lighter than the barrel, cylinder, back strap & trigger guard, in keeping with the observed phenomenon in older Colt SAAs that the CC frame fades much faster than the blued steel parts.

This gun has grown on me and I find I like it so much I would be willing to buy another "Gunfighter" if I ever come across one, even though I think the name is silly for such a well made firearm.

My $.02 worth,
Dave

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
My Custer Battlefield has the long flute cylinder in it.  Numbers match.  Any idea of how many Custer Battlefield guns made with this variation?

Rare bird indeed.  My bet would be ONE   :o
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
My Custer Battlefield has a unicolor gray finish throughout, except the sides and front of the hammer shows more bluing. Besides the two-tone finish described by DaveT I have seen pictures of a Gunslinger with splotchy bluing. So there are at least 3 types of USFA antique finishes, unicolor, two-tone and splotchy. Whether these represent different processes, or just one process taken to different degrees, I do not know. Well, we do know there were at least two processes because it has been established that the early process allowed the guns to continue rusting even after treatment was done so they switched to an improved process. How these two processes might relate to the three different appearances, I don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com