Author Topic: 40/60 win. from 45/70 brass???  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
40/60 win. from 45/70 brass???
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Have new 45/70 brass need to resize to 40/60,,,trimmed to length,,what do I need to finish the job ???

Hootmix.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: 40/60 win. from 45/70 brass???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »
I use a lee case length trim tool with the shell holder chucked up in my drill press and the cutter and guide stem in a drill press vise clamped to the table. Put a case in the shellholder, turn on the press and lower onto the cutter. You will need a small file to trim off the shavings that hang on to the case. Chamfer the inside and load them up after sizing etc. My italian made 1876 rifle had toggles that were out of spec but after a little bit of toggle metal removal works great now.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
ED,,Thanks for the reply,,trimed brass ,,,now forcing thru 40/60 die so far so good,,,but i'v read about anneling the neck's ,,,didn't do it!!!  So should I annel the necks?? Just got air dent's in one case neck,,,i use "MURPHY'S OIL SOAP" slicker than snot,,,. The cases did stretch some ,,but can trim back, unless they will shrink on the first fireing,,any thoughts,,.

Thanks Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:19:47 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:14:49 AM »
I use a lee case length trim tool with the shell holder chucked up in my drill press and the cutter and guide stem in a drill press vise clamped to the table. Put a case in the shellholder, turn on the press and lower onto the cutter. You will need a small file to trim off the shavings that hang on to the case. Chamfer the inside and load them up after sizing etc. My italian made 1876 rifle had toggles that were out of spec but after a little bit of toggle metal removal works great now.

Out of curiosity what do you mean by "after a little toggle metal removal?"  What was the gun doing that caused you to believe the toggles were out of spec?

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that .40-60 rims are thinner than .45-70 rims.  On many guns if .45-70 cases are used the bolt will not close on a shortened .45-70 case as the rim is to thick.  The rims also have to be thinned.  I had an original 76 in .45-60 and it would not close on shortened .45-70 cases.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:21 AM »
Mr. Pettifogger,, you are 100% correct !!!  40/60 rims are indeed thinner,,i had to mill the rims down to .063 +or- ,,my chaparral has a head space of .062,.I had bought 50 rd's of new "Jamison" brass w/ correct head stamp,,,rim dia. was .615,,,rim thickness @ or about .055 ,,brass length 1.870,,called co.,was told my brass was within "saami" spec's,,,soooo,i ordered 45/70 starline brass ,,and the reason for this post .Cut length down,,milled rim's,,run them thru my "cheap LEE dies ". They did streee-ch some ,,now do I need to anneal before I cut to length ,,again??? Yes, I need help ,,this part of operation is new to me. WHILE I'M UP THINK I'LL MAKE SOME COFFEE.

Thanks,,Hootmix

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 05:36:58 AM »
If you are getting dents in your brass it is usually from the lube. Try using a very small amount and doing the resizing in short steps, wiping the case and the die after every time. I have sized 45/70 brass to 38/56 and found this works. Patience is your friend. I also found that bore butter worked much better than commercial case lube. I think Lanolin might also work.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:02 AM »
Hey Wildman,,,ya' had 2 rds. get small dents,,,i'v had real good luck using "MURPHY'S OIL SOAP",,and you have to go slow ,don't over lube.

thanks,Hootmix.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
Morning, on my 1876 RCMP src the action would not close except on certain cases. It would overcam on some and not even get close to closing on others. These were all cut down 45-70 brass. I posted my problem and some of the responses said my case heads were too thick but my mic said that my cases would have to be thinner than the 'correct' amount. A good friend who knows more than me about Winchesters  came over and we looked inside. With only the left toggle installed any piece of brass chambered fine but with the rt toggle only the shaved brass worked. Obviously one or more of the holes were not correct. We shortened the overall length of the long toggle using a worn fine grit belt on my belt sander and moved one of the holes slightly by filing and fitting until the bolt closed with all my brass. I'm thinking that we worked on the rear toggle. Now there is just the slightest amount of camming upon closing the bolt so that the lever doesn't fall. Shoots great, no headspace problems.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »
 Yes ,Sir i'v read that 1-2 thou. difference on the toggles, changes head space a bunch.
  Man I love shoot'n my 76'.

Hotmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com