Author Topic: Cranking out rounds for my 1858 cartridge conversions and my Henry  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
My persona is an ex-military lawman in the late 1870s in the California Motherlode.  He uses the 1860 Henry he used during the unpleasantness on 1861-1865 while enlisted in an Illinois unit, and also a pair of 1858 Remingtons he had modified by a gunsmith in Sonora to take the same .44 Henry ammunition.

Well, my 1860 Henry is  finally in CA DROS jail, so I thought I would load some ammo for it and the two Pietta 1858s with .45 Colt/Schofield cartridge conversion cylinders.  I have .45 Schofield cases, Stateline bullets 200 grain RNFP, Winchester large magnum pistol primers, and three pounds of Triple seven.

I started loading the rounds on my LEE turret press with auto index, and four hole die plates.  I am using LEE 45 Schofield carbide dies, a LEE powder dump through the charging die, and crimping with a LEE factory crimp die.  The load I am using is 27-28 grains volume (22.5 grains weight) of FFFG triple Seven, with very slight compression.  This is the .44 Henry Duplication load I came up with about 6 or 7 years ago, that gives 1125 fps + or - from the 45 Henry barrel.  That is virtually identical to the original loading. IIRC, it clocked out of the last Pietta 1858 I had with an R&D cylinder at about 800 fps.

I'll post some pics and a picture of the ammo boxes I made:  Cheyenne Cartridge box .45 Schofield bowes with a home made 44 Henry label rubber cemented on.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Sergeant Klondike

• Texas Territorial Detachment
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life Member, SASS 11461
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cranking out rounds for my 1858 cartridge conversions and my Henry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
Nice cartridge boxes!  Did you purchase the Cheyenne box plain without any markings?
"Law and Order Every Time That's Us" - Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Tombstone Territory

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
I bought .45 Schofield Cheyenne Cartridge boxes from Buffalo Arms, and printed the labels (trial and error on sizing) and used rubber cement to overlay them.  The labels can be removed and changed.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »
Where did you come up with the labels??
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
I had a JPEG I used years ago.  Here's a better one:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,59012.0.html

IM me your email and I will send the JPEG of both.  You will need to size (scale) to boxes.  The one in the link above is about 30%, IIRC.  I have about 4 or 5 different, including JPEGs of originals.

TL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Your original post Sir is NOT a work of yours,.....it's theft of my work,....

Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Actually I had a better one of it before about 12 or 13 years ago that was clearer and sharper. I have a picture taken with that one and original Henry rounds (with a Schofield) from you an article from 1998 or 2000 or so. I'll post that when I get home. Btw I am not selling anything. I even have a jpeg of the original box this style. Also the label in the link is original that I cleaned up.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
No original looked like that,.....I made that from the ground up,.....
Also, it's not a matter of selling,.........it's the issue of calling my work yours,....I still have all my clip art and font listings I used to make them if I need to bring it up to prove myself....
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
Read my post carefully. I did not say it was my work!!!!!! I said I had a jpeg from some years ago. I did not claim to make it either. I am sure I got it off the web.  Yes there is an original is very similar. I will post it tonight. What is the big deal???
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Actually... there was an original like that.  Apparent original box just like yours that I found on the web:

The following picture is from one of my an old Cowboy Chronicle article, probably at least a dozen years ago:  Notice that the printing is a little crisper on that one you are talking about now. It was also slightly distorted, wider at the bottom, IIRC. I believe that label I may have bought from somebody off the web, but that is years ago.  I was also a Civil War re-enactor with a Henry at the time, so I may have gotten it that way.  If you look closely at the label with the Henry rounds, it is slightly different than your current one, with rounded corners  Apparently, someone else also recreated the original above.

I do not recall where on the web I got the label you say is yours (I am not saying it isn't yours, I am sure it is, if you say so!).  It was out there, and did not have any apparent copyright when I found it on a google image search.  I have actually shared it several times on CAS in the past years, but I NEVER claimed I created it.

I have had entire sections of my Cowboy Chronicle articles lifted, and published in others blogs and articles, claiming it to be there's.  Yeah, it bothers me, so I understand.  The fact remains, I DID NOT CLAIM I CREATED IT!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »
Another original Henry label I found on the web.  I like this one a lot better. I replaced the labels you designed,  and have it on all 12 of my converted .45 Schofield boxes.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com