Author Topic: Reblue 1897? Pictures added  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reblue 1897? Pictures added
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »

Well maybe she ain't so bad after all!

As you guys know, I have been working on an 1897 shotgun I recently acquired. I am just about ready to send it to the gunsmith to have the action to barrel fit tightened up. I could do it but I do not want to buy all of the adjusting collars and hope they work.

I will also have him lengthen the chamber and forcing cone and cut a new crown while he has it.

But i digress.  My question is this. The old gun has probably .00000000000001% of the bluing left on it. I am not one to refinish old guns as it will lower the "value" of the gun. However, in this case, I am not sure there is any value left in it. The story behind the gun is what is the value. I was not even thinking about having it re-blued until I watched "The Wild Bunch" movie and their 1897s were just plain purdy. I know "it is my gun I can do with it what ever I want to". But I am really torn between leaving it with the patina on it or having it re-blued.  

I would like to hear from you guys. What would you do? Leave it as is or have it re-blued?.    

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Reblue 1897?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
I'd leave it alone.

The original finish will always be just that - original - and a modern re-blue will always look re-blued.

Clean it well, clean the wood and oil it, and make it look 'well-cared-for' - it'll look 'right'.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
I understand. I have cleaned it up. Unfortunately, the wood was rotted pretty bad. The gun belonged to a man who lived in Corpus Christi, Texas. It is on the Texas coast. The fore grip had actually collapsed and the guy I got it from had bought a new grip. When I got it, I took the original butt off and it was cracked and showed signs of determination also. So I bought a new butt stock. I have
 replaced all of the buggered screws.

Advertising

Re: Reblue 1897? Pictures added
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:44:04 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
Replace the wood with good, used wood - not new, because new wood 'looks' like new wood, and the grain isn't as dense as old wood, and you want the older look.

Then, all things being equal - it should look just fine.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
My Turn .... My Turn .... My Turn .... Can I can I Huh!!

I agree with St George, but for entirely different reasons.  First, a Caveat >>>> When I started playing this CAS game, you could drop into any Gun Show and pick up as many real nice '97s as you wanted for between 75 and a Hundred bucks.  "As New" guns went for about a Hundred and a quarter.  NOBODY was collecting '97s.  There were somewhere around a Million and a Half '97s manufactured.  There are probably somewhere around a million of them in the back corner of a lot of closets.  The current "value" of '97s is driven by the CAS crowd.  We're the only market.  So the prices are artificially inflated.  Collector Schmolector.  It doesn't matter if you have it re-blued.

EXCEPT!!!!

Many shops will take the liberty of taking out every nick and ding.  With a file.  No matter how THIN it makes that area of the barrel.  Then with a buffer, every corner, every number, every edge will be buffed away to "Polish" it prior to the bluing tank.  You just exercise EXTREME caution selecting someone to re-blue.  '97s are old guns.  The nicks and dings give character.  First and foremost, make the old gun mechanically sound and shootable.  Re-chamber, longer forcing cone, nice crisp crown and a Door Knob front bede.  Some nice wood.  Not presentation grade wood, even nice used wood.  Then LEAVE THE METAL ALONE.

I've been working on CAS guns for over 20 years.  Lost count of the guns refinished to ruin.  Shoot and enjoy the old Blunderbus and don't worry about dropping a new blue job on the table.  Those refinished '97s for the movie only had to shoot blanks.  They weren't subject to match after match after match of use.  Think about it.

Coffinmaker

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
Good points Coffinmaker. Think I'll leave it as is. I was just impressed with the shiny guns used in the movie.  Like I said, it is the story behind the gun not so much the finish. The stock I bought for it is slight ly larger than the rear of the receiver so I suspect it is a Chinese stock. Bought it from Numrich. Lately, seems they are hit or moss on sending good parts. I bought a slide lock release plunger from them because the original is broken and the one they sent was too short. I have played this game with them before.
So I have sent it back and am awaiting it's replacement.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »
Just a little side note.  OEM Winchester Butt Stocks were always "proud" of the receiver from the factory.  One thing I forgot before, be sure to relive the hole for the tenon so it's an easy slip fit, then glass bed the stock to the receiver.  '97 Butt Stocks split in the wrist otherwise.

Coffinmaker

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker. So how do you bed a shotgun stock?

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
I vote for leave it as is. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Dan,
Google Foo Brownells and get their Glass Bedding Kit.  Comes with instructions.  Keepa Winda OPEN!!  Be sure to use enough "releasing agent" on the metal parts (I like a nice smear of Vaseline).  Be Sure and tighten the Stock Screw nice and snug.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »
How about some photo's ? then we can all oogle them and declare either

OMG that is awesome do not touch the finish!

--- or ---

Holy Crapo that is so ugly, just paint it to hide it from my eyes!

yhs
prof
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
97s used for CAS have very little or zero collector value.  Re-blue or do whatever you want that makes YOU happy.  Certainly won't hurt the value.

Offline Trader Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
How about some photo's ? then we can all oogle them and declare either

OMG that is awesome do not touch the finish!

--- or ---

Holy Crapo that is so ugly, just paint it to hide it from my eyes!

yhs
prof

Good idea but can I wait until I have it back together? (I suspect it will fall into the holy crapo category!) I finally got the last replacement part in today. I will cobble it back together tomorrow and take some pics. I have to work on the fore grip escutcheons as they are not deep enough for the three screws to grip the action slide collar. I guess the next step is to send it to the smith for the action to barrel tightening job. It will live again!

Pettirogger. I know you are right. I know it has no collector value, but as I stated, it is the story behind the gun. I did tell the guy I got it from that I don't refinish old guns. So I think I will leave the patina as is.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com