Author Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer  (Read 32798 times)

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
Yo CHT  :D

I have had occasion of late to speak with a couple of folks whom are suppose to be "in the know."  Best information on the street at this juncture is ....... Colt isn't producing and SAA.  None.  Nada.  Zip (whoops bad choice wurd).  There is no "Custom Shop" any more, the previous Custom Shop Foreman has needed a new resume.  To further improve market share, Colt sold off ALL their stock parts.  Any "new" Colt that is being found is actually "New - Old Stock" having been squirreled away to capitalize on inflating prices.  As far as the SAA goes, Colt is just as Dodo as USFA.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Baretta/Uberti didn't buy the Colt Moniker just for grins and giggles.  Although Uberti has taken steps most recent that won't contribute at all to their bottom line nor market share.

Wouldn't it be funny.....or some other appropriate adjective, if someone bought rights to the Colt name? Wonder if they'd sell or would they be nit...picked....to....death, like Standard's?

Thanks for the info.

CHT

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
"...  Someone on the Colt forum spoke with Standard a few weeks ago and were told that they had produced 1000 units, sold out and had suspended production and stopped taking orders for now "

imagine  that !   another wishful SAA made of Unobtanium ....don't hold your breath  :-X
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:44 PM »
I took delivery of my Standard today.  I don't have a Colt produced in the last few years to compare it to, but it easily trumps the one I bought new in 2010.  Standard has experienced some start-up difficulties and, in my opinion, has spent a good deal of time re-working a lot of their guns to correct a few nit-picking problems before they started shipping them out.  I couldn't be happier with mine, but I ordered it the day after they announced full production.  I received it almost two months later, and mine is only serial number 54.  So Standard may be backlogged for a little bit, but you should keep watch for whenever they resume taking orders.  In my opinion, these are equal in quality to the all USA-made USFA's.  I'm sure they'll resume taking orders before too long.   And your wait time will be much shorter than with Colt.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 05:01:38 PM »

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:32 PM »
I took delivery of my Standard today.  I don't have a Colt produced in the last few years to compare it to, but it easily trumps the one I bought new in 2010.  Standard has experienced some start-up difficulties and, in my opinion, has spent a good deal of time re-working a lot of their guns to correct a few nit-picking problems before they started shipping them out.  I couldn't be happier with mine, but I ordered it the day after they announced full production.  I received it almost two months later, and mine is only serial number 54.  So Standard may be backlogged for a little bit, but you should keep watch for whenever they resume taking orders.  In my opinion, these are equal in quality to the all USA-made USFA's.  I'm sure they'll resume taking orders before too long.   And your wait time will be much shorter than with Colt.

Great news and I'm glad you like it. If they really have already shipped 1,000, then they must have the ball rolling pretty good!

Pictures, range reports, etc. would be appreciated.

CHT

sfc rick

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2018, 06:10:28 AM »
I asked and they stated the SAA's have a 2400 series Clear GunKote applied to the color case hardening on the frame. That process should really bring out the colors and also give a little more protection to it from scratches and rust prevention. I noticed it (Clear coat) on my 1911 and it really makes it so glossy and beautiful.

I'll wait it out and try to get one in the next go round, and maybe they will have the peening of the firing pin solved with a recoil plate and pin upgrade? I will definitely keep trying.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
I asked and they stated the SAA's have a 2400 series Clear GunKote applied to the color case hardening on the frame. That process should really bring out the colors and also give a little more protection to it from scratches and rust prevention. I noticed it (Clear coat) on my 1911 and it really makes it so glossy and beautiful.

I'll wait it out and try to get one in the next go round, and maybe they will have the peening of the firing pin solved with a recoil plate and pin upgrade? I will definitely keep trying.

Classic Guns puts a clear coat finish on the case coloring of the Cimarron US finish guns and have also done it on the few pieces I've sent them to have CCH. I guess it's to protect it but it does make the colors stand out.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

sfc rick

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
Classic Guns puts a clear coat finish on the case coloring of the Cimarron US finish guns and have also done it on the few pieces I've sent them to have CCH. I guess it's to protect it but it does make the colors stand out.

I called Cimarron and they said call John at Classic Guns to get my SAA's CCH'd. So that now becomes an option to consider on my next purchase.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
I have often thought of sending a gun to Classic Guns for color case hardening. What is the normal turn around time for one or two guns?

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
I've done about 5 SA's at Classic the last 3 years.  Send them a stripped, polished frame and its usually back in two weeks.  I cant think of a time it hasn't been

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »

Sack ....

Haven't been .... what?? :o

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
I can think of a time when it hasn’t been.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
Walllll'--IMO the Standard looks, sounds like a nice 'hogleg', (maybe) equal to a fine Colt or even a USFA (saw one once at a gun show), but I can get along fine with my two Ruger Vaquero's and my EMF 'Jager' 45 Colts-- ifin weez talking '73 Colt type SA's. "But" if I was gonna go out and drop two grand (dats $2000 greenbacka' dollars), I'd buy another 6" blued Colt Python. A lot prettier and dem guns just makes my tongue hard. Paid $300 NIB for my first back in '79, five times that for my second a few years back, and now a nice one that isn't beat ranges $2-2.5 thou. Seen some 3plus, NIB's 4-6. A low number three digit 50's safe queen Python if I recall sold for around 7 G's not long ago. Shoulda' bought a pallet of em 35-40 years ago. Now there's collector stuff in our lifetime.

Back from shide-polin' the post---Hope Standard is successful in their endeavor.  :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com