Author Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer  (Read 32782 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1159
Re: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
Couldn't disagree with you guys more...but I ain't gonna fight about it.

You do what you want and I'll do the same. And no, I'm not buying a Standard Manufacturing gun - yet. If they bring out a blackpowder frame model I'll probably be the first in line. (smile)

Dave

Ah My Good Dave -

Not really a "fight" as it were..... More a lively discussion and grump session .
Everyone has their own style and somewhat fixed ideas on "how much" they are willing to pay for anything,
And  what items They can afford and what exactly they are willing to spend it on.

Some folks prefer a Rolex for example, and some prefer a Seiko or even a Timex.
Some folks can and will blow good money on jewel encrusted Swiss designer watches.
( que  Paul Simon's "diamonds on the soles of her shoes". ...  Lol )

They all keep good time.
For some folks , what with bills, surprise vehicle or medical costs, and, well eating regularly...
A Rolex is never gonna happen.

For cheap barstichez frugal individuals like myself, I prefer Seiko ....if I ever lost or broke a Rolex, I would be
Beside Myself... And then you would be stuck with two of me  >:(

And then whilst we are awaiting the next opportunity to go make smoke, us hivernaughts have to complain wax eloquent chat about something to stave off the boredom. God forbid we get stuck yelling at daytime TV...

Yhs
Prof mumbles+
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
Wow!  timely at least!!
  I've just had THE most frustrating day in the shop in years!!!! Whole day wasted!!! All because of a 2nd Gen Dragoon!! I've grown so tired of the " Colt" stigma that I am at the point of no more work on Colt 2nd gen or Sig series "Colt" revolvers!!!!!!!! Those and anything 1970's/80's !!!!  Such a waste of time!!!!  Soft wedges, 70's parts,  just isn't it worth the time!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No bigger pieces of excrement than that vintage of "stuff"!!!!!!
  Just sent out a remarkable pair of Piettas and Uberti's  last week/this week only to be blindsided by a freekin Colt  of unfreeking believable substandard quality that I'd be ashamed to say it's " a Colt!" !!

Ok, I'm almost over it .  .  .  .  .  

Professor, I prefer Rolex, just waiting to get my first one!!!  ;D

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
Wow!  timely at least!!
  I've just had THE most frustrating day in the shop in years!!!! Whole day wasted!!! All because of a 2nd Gen Dragoon!! I've grown so tired of the " Colt" stigma that I am at the point of no more work on Colt 2nd gen or Sig series "Colt" revolvers!!!!!!!! Those and anything 1970's/80's !!!!  Such a waste of time!!!!  Soft wedges, 70's parts,  just isn't it worth the time!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No bigger pieces of excrement than that vintage of "stuff"!!!!!!
  Just sent out a remarkable pair of Piettas and Uberti's  last week/this week only to be blindsided by a freekin Colt  of unfreeking believable substandard quality that I'd be ashamed to say it's " a Colt!" !!

Ok, I'm almost over it .  .  .  .  .  

Professor, I prefer Rolex, just waiting to get my first one!!!  ;D

Mike

Ah My dear Mike
I preferred the Hasselblad, but that never happened either...

Is it possible to just replace all the Colt Dragoon guts with Uberti guts?
Cuxstomer might choke on the price, tho...

Back to the topic of the new Standard SAA...
Has anybody touched one yet?

Yhs Prof ( damn you autocorrect!)
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:39:10 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »
Prof,

Over on ColtForum.com there's a fellow who owns #5 and he has actually shot it. Target he posted had nice groups at 20 yards. He says everything on the gun is perfect...fit, finish, action, even the stocks. He's also posted a number of close up photos of his Standard SAA.

Dave

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 05:43:00 PM »
Prof,

Over on ColtForum.com there's a fellow who owns #5 and he has actually shot it. Target he posted had nice groups at 20 yards. He says everything on the gun is perfect...fit, finish, action, even the stocks. He's also posted a number of close up photos of his Standard SAA.

Dave

Oh Snap! thanks Dave!
I will get myself over there and check out his posts.

I had been lusting after and saving for a USFA until the owner went stupid they went under ...
in between, the Italian quality was improving .....

maybe, just maybe, if I fall into $2k after I pay for a new furnace, kitchen and master bath upgrade, and a new subaru....

or maybe i'll win the friggin lottery ....

more likely i'll buy a pietta ....
yhs
prof mvl
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »
45 Dragoon ....

Well, for years, Every time I mention or try to explain the Second Generation or Signature Series Cap Guns sold by Colt, the die-hard Coltistas come out of the wood work, hopping up and down and yelling loudly about how those guns are "Real Colts."  Nope.  They are built from Uberti parts.  All of them.  Beautifully finished and carefully assembled Uberti Parts.  With ALL of the usual foibles of Uberti built Open Top guns.  Bad Barrel to Arbor Fit begins the problems.  I have been constantly chastised bu the Coltistas that those guns are Real Colts, even though they were built by contractors, from Uberti parts.  Just as an addendum.  I will no longer work on Second Gen nor Signature series guns.  Just not worth the aggravation.

Now, I have no personal hands on experience with the "New" Standard Single Action.  The only concrete information I have is that is where all the machine tools from USFA went.  That being the case ..... anyone want to bet Uberti Parts will interchange, just like they did with USFA??

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
Dave T, can't find the post you mention on the Colt Forum.  Where can I find it?

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:20 PM »
Here ya go.

[https://www.coltforum.com/forums/reloading-range-reports/341883-standard-sa-first-range-trip-w-target-pics.html]

There's also a thread in "The Lounge" section with pictures of his brand new gun.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »

Didn't see a word about him shooting the only true Keith # 5 on the planet.  Got a link for that??

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
Here ya go.
    [https://www.coltforum.com/forums/reloading-range-reports/341883-standard-sa-first-range-trip-w-target-pics.html]
There's also a thread in "The Lounge" section with pictures of his brand new gun.
Dave

Thank you Dave, that makes it easier!

Oh Look, Yahoody is over there! 
Hi Yahoody!

hmmmmm
is it me or did Yahoody's Uberti shoot better groups?
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
Coffinmaker, Professor Marvel
  Totally agree and I'll bet your right on the parts interchange thingy with the new S.A.'s.!   Professor, you're probably right about the "new parts" but (Coffinmaker can probably understand this bit of insanity .  .  .  ) you get all the way down the road of "this time they'll work out fine .  .  ."  only to have "other" parts that (aren't normally a problem) turn out to be Krap!!! This time it was the wedge!! The one with the ser. no. on it .  .  .  .  the one thing the customer will probably have a fit if it is replaced!  So,  while correcting the arbor situation, the wedge starts deforming like it's Aluminum!! I remove the spring, straighten out the wedge, harden the freekin thing, re-install the spring. Happens again .  .  .  .   tools fly in the shop !!!! (Just kidding!!  Lol!! Can't afford that kind-a stuff!!). Longer story short, I finish my plug install  (I use single plugs now, not shim stacks) with deformed wedge. Today, I  install a new (previously hardened by me) Uberti wedge, set the barrel/cyl clearance to .003" (no tighter with the Krap Colt cyl runout  ;D) and tape the "original Colt" wedge to the tag to send back to customer!! Sheeeesh!!!!  

I have one more C.2 nd gen  and I think that will be my last. Coulda done 2 Uberti's or Piettas in the time spent on this. .  .  .  .
Time for a little Coconut Rum  in some Pineapple juice .  .  .  .  .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
Didn't see a word about him shooting the only true Keith # 5 on the planet.  Got a link for that??

I'd be happy to answer your question if I only had some clue what on earth you're talking about.

Dave

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:31 PM »
Damn....I feel like I just walked into beauty parlor full of gossipy women!  ;D

Instead of speculating the how's, when's, where's,  and why's just go read for yourself-

http://www.stdgun.com/single-action-revolver-1/

Make sure you read the FAQ's that answer most questions, or in some cases accusations, about this revolver.

Those of you think it should be cheap to build a revolver like this really need some economics basics. (I mean really... $36 for a couple of piece of 4140???)

Things to consider-

They have buildings to pay for and maintain.
They have machinery to pay for and maintain.
They have skilled employees, who in that part of the country may very well be UAW members, for whom they must provide wages and benefits.
They have accountants, office help, et al to pay.
Right or wrong, the company is in the part of the country with unarguably the highest taxes, property taxes, federal taxes, etc. that have to be paid.
And if the owner (s) aren't making money, they'll lose interest soon.
In other words lots of overhead.

This revolver should fill a small niche left open when USFA went "tit's up". You won't find a more ardent Uberti proponent than I (I own eight), but they shouldn't be compared to Uberti's. Of course for shooting trash can lid size targets with "pffft......tink" loads, they'll be no better than the Uberti's. But for a genuinely well crafted revolver made of good metal they should last. I want that ONE revolver that I can pass down and hope someday my great-grandson will have a revolver that oozes quality and beauty.

So a Standard Manufacturing revolver is definitely in my future, I'd say in no more than 12 months.

CHT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
Companies DON’T pay taxes! Always kills me when I hear that. The last guy in line pays everybody’s taxes. 

Pardon me, Soapbox off.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »
Companies DON’T pay taxes! Always kills me when I hear that. The last guy in line pays everybody’s taxes. 

Pardon me, Soapbox off.

So....how many times now have you died and when did companies stop paying taxes?

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
Of course for shooting trash can lid size targets with "pffft......tink" loads,

ROTFLMAO! That's the best description for what is often the current state of cowboy action shooting I've seen. Thanks for the Saturday morning smile.

Dave

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
So....how many times now have you died and when did companies stop paying taxes?

I believe Ed is pointing out that every business simply adds ALL of their costs into the sticker price. including tax.
unlike the consumer, who has no one to pass the tax costs on to.

thus his point
....... The last guy in line pays everybody’s taxes.  ......

but i do agree, that the cost of raw materials has very little to do with sticker price in these cases.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

sfc rick

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
I loved reading all the posts about this new SAA. I've watched all the youtube videos also. I purchased one of the Standard engraved 1911's that were genuine CCH. The "engraving" was the worst laser burnt garbage I have ever seen. However the CCH is beautiful and it's the best fitted and best shooting 1911 I have owned, no regrets getting it at all.

Now back to the SAA. I worried about spending so much money on one and was afraid that if I did, once it got in my hands would I regret it knowing full well I could have had 4 new Uberti's? So with 8 Uberti's already in my gun safe and struggling with the process of deciding what I wanted. I called Standard with a number of questions and Lo and Behold they will not take any more orders for SAA.

I called twice to get the same information, no more orders they have sold out, now have a backlog, will make no more SAA's till maybe Oct or Sept. The sales lady said call back next month to see if I can order one then.

So they didn't make enough? Hired former Colt workers and management. Sounds like they are using the same Colt model of production too. So maybe I should not worry and stick with my Uberti's. At least when I want one, all I got to do is call and have one in a few days. Or better yet try and buy a Colt.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
So they didn't make enough? Hired former Colt workers and management. Sounds like they are using the same Colt model of production too. So maybe I should not worry and stick with my Uberti's. At least when I want one, all I got to do is call and have one in a few days. Or better yet try and buy a Colt.

Someone on the Colt forum spoke with Standard a few weeks ago and were told that they had produced 1000 units, sold out and had suspended production and stopped taking orders for now. You can find the post by going to the Colt forum and listening for the sound of cackling hens.

If I'm not mistaken, Colt is down to producing a few dozen SA's per month. Folks are sending their money and having to wait months, or more, for their revolver.

CHT

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »

Yo CHT  :D

I have had occasion of late to speak with a couple of folks whom are suppose to be "in the know."  Best information on the street at this juncture is ....... Colt isn't producing and SAA.  None.  Nada.  Zip (whoops bad choice wurd).  There is no "Custom Shop" any more, the previous Custom Shop Foreman has needed a new resume.  To further improve market share, Colt sold off ALL their stock parts.  Any "new" Colt that is being found is actually "New - Old Stock" having been squirreled away to capitalize on inflating prices.  As far as the SAA goes, Colt is just as Dodo as USFA.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Baretta/Uberti didn't buy the Colt Moniker just for grins and giggles.  Although Uberti has taken steps most recent that won't contribute at all to their bottom line nor market share.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com